Superbowl Low-Blow from CRTC and CTV

Snowbird Home Watch
Fledgling

Superbowl Low-Blow from CRTC and CTV

Post by Snowbird Home Watch »

I subscribe to a typical television service provider which includes time-shifting, numerous US stations and a variety of Canadian stations.

During the Superbowl game, I really expected to see some of the advertised commercials which have been known to be a highlight of the game. However, CRTC has apparently granted permission to my service provider to block out the stations that I pay for and instead, blast me with CTV crap, most of which is boring as hell, has been beaten to death already and is available on any of the Canadian affiliates which I have way too many of anyway.

I pre-pay for the privilege of choosing my stations and I have paid for them accordingly. I think that the CRTC is screwing us all.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Superbowl Low-Blow from CRTC and CTV

Post by Fancy »

It is a crock for sure. Watching Super Bowl I should be getting u.s. ads don't want to see cdn
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Snowbird Home Watch wrote:However, CRTC has apparently granted permission to my service provider to block out the stations that I pay for and instead, blast me with CTV crap

Cause that's how CTV makes money.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

What channel are you on? I ' m on 201 and I've got NOOOOO Candian content. Thanks Goodness.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

This has been going on for years and years.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Triple 6 wrote:What channel are you on? I ' m on 201 and I've got NOOOOO Candian content. Thanks Goodness.

On which system are you? I'm on Telus Satellite and both E and W CBS feeds were substituted with the horrible CTV one.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

On the HD channels on Shaw we got all the US commercials.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Tony wrote:On the HD channels on Shaw we got all the US commercials.

I knew I shoulda got cable. :200: How the heck did they pull that off without the CRTC stomping on their heads?
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Spocky wrote:On which system are you? I'm on Telus Satellite and both E and W CBS feeds were substituted with the horrible CTV one.

Shaw. Same as Tony.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Spocky wrote:
I knew I shoulda got cable. :200: How the heck did they pull that off without the CRTC stomping on their heads?

CRTC endorses it. It's how Canadian TV companies make money by selling advertising, and keeps the Canadian content up.
Snowbird Home Watch
Fledgling

Post by Snowbird Home Watch »

I have Telus Optick and EVERY channel was modified, both HD and basic.

CTV didn't make too much money on the ads because most of them were boring promos for their own shows as well as a bunch for BRAVO. If I want Canadian content, I'll watch a Canadian channel. This seems like blatant censorship to me.

If Shaw had the commercials then it must be TELUS that approved the change. One more of a long list of reasons to dislike Telus Optiks. Shudda picked Shaw or Rogers or satellite.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Now I see what the attraction to these "games" is

It's the commercials! :spinball:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

To me it is ridiculous that we pay for certain channels and then don't get to watch them. I used to have Shaw Direct satellite and never had to put up with Canadian stations over riding the american feed. Switched to Telus optik and now have to deal with it on everything. I'm paying for something that I am not getting. It feels akin to buying a bottle of Grey Goose and getting home and opening the bag and finding a bottle of Smirnoff.

What makes it even worse is that the Canadian feeds often cut in and out at the wrong times so you may miss the start or finish of shows, especially if you record them. Also during NFL games and other sporting events they over ride, they often come back from commercial after the action has started.

Normally I don't care about the commercials since I record almost everything I watch but with a live sporting event to have to suffer through the minute selection of CTV's commercials becomes almost unbearable.

The kicker was after the game last night. They were about to present the Super Bowl and CTV cut out to another show and the CTV feed continued for a good 3 minutes on the CBS station.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

What game? :127:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

You know you have no problems in life when your biggest worry is NOT getting US commercials on TV.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Central Okanagan”