A saw and a man

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: A saw and a man

Post by kibbs »

1 Corinthians 13
New International Version (NIV)
13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

This is my reading in church tomorrow ,i love to practice and really feel the meaning I thought I would share .PEACE and LOVE
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

1 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

this means when you grow up you have to stop looking at god like you did when you were a kid .Your spirit and belief must grow to.You cant blame god the myth kid tale.Bad crap happens due to lack of good deed .Prayer is useless without deed.and other stuff is just the weather .It has no supernatural control.
Peace be with you.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

kibbs wrote:this means when you grow up you have to stop looking at god like you did when you were a kid .Your spirit and belief must grow to.You cant blame god the myth kid tale.Bad crap happens due to lack of good deed .Prayer is useless without deed.and other stuff is just the weather .It has no supernatural control.

That's your take on it. Not the way I see it at all. And neither of us has a clue exactly what the original auther actually meant.
Kind of like poetry....it can be taken many different ways.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

zzontar wrote:Imagine someone telling you the same about your beliefs in the same way you just described theirs.

Silly you assuming it's a two way street. Are you on glue or something?

The fact is, progressives see nothing wrong with slamming others, but if anyone speaks their mind in a negative way toward a particular group they hold dear to their heart, they get all up in arms and demand the person step down or get fired. Not that I'm accusing anyone on Castanet of being like this. They're just too smart around here, but elsewhere...

Look at what Westergaard has endured after his 2005 cartoon was published. Progressives are more quick to blame him for inciting hate than they are to condemn the axe wielding thug who was within a couple of minutes of cutting through his locked bulletproof bathroom door when the police arrive.

Or look at the case Elisabeth Sabaditch-Wolff who called Muhammad a pedophile for consummating his marriage with a 9 year old. She was fined 480 euros for comment. How about the Case of the Dutch parliamentarian, Geert Wilders? He gets taken to court by his own government and barred from entering Great Britain for saying the same thing in his movie fitna. Meanwhile, a radio station run by his own government unabashedly promotes the movie De moord op Geert Wilders (The Assassination of Geert Wilders).
Last edited by Glacier on Feb 8th, 2013, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

That's your take on it. Not the way I see it at all. And neither of us has a clue exactly what the original auther actually meant.
Kind of like poetry....it can be taken many different ways.

Im just a student that was the preachers interpretation today,He said that we have to take or belief forward ,from being cared for like a child to doing good work and caring for others.Yes i agree it is like poetry .the words are beautiful.sorry if i'm straying but what do you hear? i am curious.
Peace be with you.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

kibbs wrote:Im just a student that was the preachers interpretation today,He said that we have to take or belief forward ,from being cared for like a child to doing good work and caring for others.Yes i agree it is like poetry .the words are beautiful.sorry if i'm straying but what do you hear? i am curious.

Life is about learning. It never ends. The shell may perish but the spirit does not. A man/woman who knows themself, sees themself in the mirror and knows who they are, knows the face of their creator. Everyone you come in contact with is a mirror of some aspect of yourself. Everyone you meet has something to teach you about yourself and something to learn from you. That is how we grow toward the truth. Life is your teacher. Some humans may be able to equip you with some tools with which to navigate but they can never teach you who you are. That is your responsibility. That is your sacred trust. You will not find the truth in books or at the feet of a self proclaimed preacher or guru. The journey home is a solo one. There is no strength in numbers.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

1 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

This speaks to me of personal growth, of leaving the selfishness of childhood/immaturity behind in favour of a world view that goes beyond yourself, learning to see through the eyes of others rather than measuring their situation on your own terms. Compassion, respect and empathy.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

which to navigate but they can never teach you who you are. That is your responsibility. That is your sacred trust. You will not find the truth in books or at the feet of a self proclaimed preacher or guru. The journey home is a solo one. There is no strength in numbers.

I feel that we are all connected and there is no alone.My journey is to strengthen those connections. I am a student of the bible at present .its not the only book i read .(I recommend a year of living biblically.) i do believe it has some interesting stuff.I sit at no ones feet but enjoy someone who interprets its' perspective.The thing i've heard recently i relate to most."we are not human beings on a spiritual journey but spiritual beings on a human journey."
Peace be with you.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

So, given that what we have just seen here in that the Bible is wide open to a multitude of interpretations, what would that say about organized religions who offer their interpretation as the "one true path" ? I too think there is plenty of good stuff in the bible, as in a lot of other books, I just have a hard time with anyone who isn't willing to give me the freedom to take from it what I choose to.

One thing I've noticed in my journey is that every now and then I will hear words that I've heard a thousand times before but suddenly they take on a new, deeper meaning. Obviously I had to reach some point in life where I was receptive to the new meaning or it would have just kept bouncing off me like it had in the past. The Bible is kind of cool in that aspect in that a lot of it is able to speak on a number of levels. I tend to see that particular book as a tool to incite a deeper consideration of the way we do/see things rather than a "rulebook" so to speak.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

One thing I've noticed in my journey is that every now and then I will hear words that I've heard a thousand times before but suddenly they take on a new, deeper meaning. Obviously I had to reach some point in life where I was receptive to the new meaning or it would have just kept bouncing off me like it had in the past. The Bible is kind of cool in that aspect in that a lot of it is able to speak on a number of levels. I tend to see that particular book as a tool to incite a deeper consideration of the way we do/see things rather than a "rulebook" so to speak.

That was what a year of living biblically pointed out .We all practice cafeteria style religion .There is good in all of them.I like taking Sunday off now and spending more time with the family.Its a good thing. I've found people in the moderate church i go to are not so conforming,but enjoy sacred ritual to embrace their beliefs.The singing together is awesome and makes me feel closer to my soul than anything.I like the way our last preacher put it.Its a place of forgiveness not judgement.
Peace be with you.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

This thread is totally derailed, but that's ok, its new direction is interesting. As far as cafeteria style religion, I agree that is what people do. Is God ok with that? By what standards do you choose to live by? Where did you find them? I'm sure the answers to these questions are of interest to many.

PS, since this discussion is mostly respectful can we keep it that way please? In other words, if you only want to bash, keep it to yourself. Thank you.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

For me truth is where you find it. People, books, intuition, you name it. Some things just ring true the moment you hear them or think of them, those are keepers. At least until the next "aha" moment.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

This thread is totally derailed,

Sorry hmmmmm .the spirit moved me ,thanks for your forgiveness.
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

For me truth is where you find it. People, books, intuition, you name it. Some things just ring true the moment you hear them or think of them, those are keepers. At least until the next "aha" moment.

I became disheartened with Christianity, the jim bakers and the pedophilia really spooked me .i looked at all the others and saw good and bad in all .But the main purpose in all was join a community in service to a spiritual ritual.I decided to start taking and stand and put my spiritual belief into service to help others.I felt it had all gone bad because good people had abandoned it.my aha moment and my time to put down childish things.Watching this helped me move forward to.
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Doc+Zone/ID/1233752017/
Peace be with you.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Jumping back to your OP, some people don't believe in amputation, even for medical reasons. This would make what the doctor did, to some people, cruel. My point is that as obvious as something may seem to you, to someone else it can be the complete opposite.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”