Do you want smart meters?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Do you want smart meters?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 32

motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Re: Do you want smart meters?

Post by motorhomebabe »

If they install the smart meter, should they not be making sure the wiring will handle it?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

motorhomebabe wrote:If they install the smart meter, should they not be making sure the wiring will handle it?

Not really. Everything past the meter is the property owner's responsibility.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

rideforever wrote:So it sounds like some people dont like them and some people dont mind them. But does anyone actually like them? Does anyone think the billion dollars spent on them was worth it?

What's there to like about them? It's a box that sits and measures electricity. Do you like the one you have right now? I have absolutely no feelings towards it. I also have no feelings towards various types of pipes running underground delivering water or natural gas to my house, hydrants that sit outside, or concrete used for the curbs. Why would anybody LOVE their meter?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

When $1 000 000 000 is spent on something it should be something that is liked.

Instead of spending that money upgrading equipment thats still working they could have spent it on things people like. How about funding job creation and innovation in alternative energy and enery saving technology . Thatd have a fairly similar goal but wouldnt require them forcing something controversial into peoples homes. Would you like that more?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

rideforever wrote:When $1 000 000 000 is spent on something it should be something that is liked.

Well, that is a rather immature statement. Money should be spent on what's needed, not on something that everybody likes. And you don`t get to decide what`s needed and what`s not, people who actually have the skillset and knowledge do that, your opinion about it is irrelevant.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

rideforever wrote:So it sounds like some people dont like them and some people dont mind them. But does anyone actually like them? Does anyone think the billion dollars spent on them was worth it?

Captain Awesome wrote:What's there to like about them?

rideforever wrote:When $1 000 000 000 is spent on something it should be something that is liked.

Captain Awesome wrote:Well, that is a rather immature statement. Money should be spent on what's needed, not on something that everybody likes. And you don`t get to decide what`s needed and what`s not, people who actually have the skillset and knowledge do that, your opinion about it is irrelevant.

Talk about the pot calling the china black, captain awesome. If you had a good arguement, you'd focus on that instead of resorting to insults.

Stop playing dumb or no one will want to play with you. It was clear what I meant when I used the word 'like' based on the context I used it in. Do you dislike, not care or like smart meters. I even went on to explain what I was getting at by asking does anyone think they are worth a billion dollars.

All that's needed is food and shelter. After that, we focus on whatever we like most.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

rideforever wrote:All that's needed is food and shelter. After that, we focus on whatever we like most.

Many would not agree with your limited list of what is needed.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Nebula wrote:Many would not agree with your limited list of what is needed.

And most people don't know the difference between need and want.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

MAPearce wrote:Condsidering that a smart meter may have been the cause of a house fire in Vernon today , NO , I dont want them.

Smart meters have not caused any fires and did not cause the fires in Vernon according to the fire department.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Used to be kind of against the things, then got informed about them, and realized they're fine.

It's funny because when you ask people who "don't want a smart meter" why, they don't know why or their reason is false.

Popular one I've heard, Wireless Interference. Yo, that was proven to be a non-issue a long time ago by the CRTC.

As far as it pertains to causing house fires. Yes, electrical appliances can cause house fires. Better ban everything electrical.

http://www.bchydro.com/energy_in_bc/pro ... /faqs.html
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Smart meters have not caused any fires and did not cause the fires in Vernon according to the fire department.

Hmmmmm ... not what I read ...

but you can assume that I don't know how to read either ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'll believe the fire department official that was on the news tonight as opposed to anything else.
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

StraitTalk wrote:Used to be kind of against the things, then got informed about them, and realized they're fine.

It's funny because when you ask people who "don't want a smart meter" why, they don't know why or their reason is false.

Popular one I've heard, Wireless Interference. Yo, that was proven to be a non-issue a long time ago by the CRTC.

As far as it pertains to causing house fires. Yes, electrical appliances can cause house fires. Better ban everything electrical.

http://www.bchydro.com/energy_in_bc/pro ... /faqs.html

Its funny when I ask if anyone wants smart meters no one has anything to say. Doesnt seem like anyone thinks theyre worth the billion dollars that was spent on them.

Wireless interference: Typically certification tests are done on 1 unit. I doubt they test every unit. Electronic manufacturing process are far from perfect. There are often units that dont operate as theyre supposed to.

Speaking of false arguements, I heard someone the other day saying they cant cause any health problems because people cant tell when they are turned on / off. Their arguement implies that we are able to immediatly detect anything that causes harm to us. I guess theyve never heard of the smells we add to gasses since theyll kill us without us detecting them.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

rideforever wrote:Its funny when I ask if anyone wants smart meters no one has anything to say.

It would have been better had your poll had a choice of 'I don't care'. Want/not want is rather moot when it comes to a program that is being implemented.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Personally, don't care. Helped a person trying to install - still don't care.

Return to “Social Concerns”