Can My Landlord Charge For That?

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Can My Landlord Charge For That?

Post by Catri »

Thanks! I do think knowing there are rules (and bothering to read them LOL) is half the battle.
bigchef
Fledgling

Post by bigchef »

Did she do a walkthrough with checklist that you signed upon moving in? If not, you can tell her to pound sand and make a claim for your deposit in full. Include the receipt for carpet cleaning.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Include the bill for the carpet cleaning? Why to charge the landlord for it?
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I think it means to prove that they did it.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
bigchef
Fledgling

Post by bigchef »

As proof that it was done. OF COURSE you won't be reimbursed for that. But you DO NOT have to pay for it twice. Read the rules people, they are in plain English.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

bigchef wrote:As proof that it was done. OF COURSE you won't be reimbursed for that. But you DO NOT have to pay for it twice. Read the rules people, they are in plain English.

If it is not a term in your tenancy agreement then you are not responsible for cleaning the carpets and do not have to prove anything. Oh and I have educated myself in regards to the act and regulations, but I thank you for making sure.
sammym

Post by sammym »

Libelle wrote:If it is not a term in your tenancy agreement then you are not responsible for cleaning the carpets and do not have to prove anything. Oh and I have educated myself in regards to the act and regulations, but I thank you for making sure.

Right AND wrong.

CARPETS
1. At the beginning of the tenancy the landlord is expected to provide the tenant with
clean carpets in a reasonable state of repair.
2. The landlord is not expected to clean carpets during a tenancy, unless something
unusual happens, like a water leak or flooding, which is not caused by the tenant.
3. The tenant is responsible for periodic cleaning of the carpets to maintain reasonable
standards of cleanliness. Generally, at the end of the tenancy the tenant will be held
responsible for steam cleaning or shampooing the carpets after a tenancy of one
year. Where the tenant has deliberately or carelessly stained the carpet he or she
will be held responsible for cleaning the carpet at the end of the tenancy regardless
of the length of tenancy.
4. The tenant may be expected to steam clean or shampoo the carpets at the end of a
tenancy, regardless of the length of tenancy, if he or she, or another occupant, has
had pets which were not caged or if he or she smoked in the premises.

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/documents/GL01.pdf
Last edited by sammym on Feb 4th, 2013, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

What do you mean right and wrong. Generally the tenent is responsible is not the tenant is responsible. Big difference. Huge.
bigchef
Fledgling

Post by bigchef »

It looks like you are arguing the same point as me. As I said it's all in plain English.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

bigchef wrote:It looks like you are arguing the same point as me. As I said it's all in plain English. Stop being a troll!

My last post was directed to sammym not you bigchef.
sammym

Post by sammym »

Libelle wrote:If it is not a term in your tenancy agreement then you are not responsible for cleaning the carpets and do not have to prove anything. Oh and I have educated myself in regards to the act and regulations, but I thank you for making sure.

This statement is mostly wrong. After one year as a tenant, you ARE responsible to clean the carpets upon vacating. Tenancy that lasts less than a year may have to clean the carpets depending on the cleanliness of them at the end of tenancy.

You obviously have not educated yourself, enough.
sammym

Post by sammym »

Libelle wrote:What do you mean right and wrong. Generally the tenent is responsible is not the tenant is responsible. Big difference. Huge.

And this post makes no sense.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

1. At the beginning of the tenancy the landlord is expected to provide the tenant with
clean carpets in a reasonable state of repair.
2. The landlord is not expected to clean carpets during a tenancy, unless something
unusual happens, like a water leak or flooding, which is not caused by the tenant.
3. The tenant is responsible for periodic cleaning of the carpets to maintain reasonable
standards of cleanliness. Generally, at the end of the tenancy the tenant will be held
responsible for steam cleaning or shampooing the carpets after a tenancy of one
year. Where the tenant has deliberately or carelessly stained the carpet he or she
will be held responsible for cleaning the carpet at the end of the tenancy regardless
of the length of tenancy.
4. The tenant may be expected to steam clean or shampoo the carpets at the end of a
tenancy, regardless of the length of tenancy, if he or she, or another occupant, has
had pets which were not caged or if he or she smoked in the premises.
sammym

Post by sammym »

Your earlier post was quite sure that if it is not in the agreement, that it is not enforceable. That is wrong. I have posted the actual rules as well as a link so I'm not going to argue with you. I am an ex tenancy officer and will leave it at that.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

I am not arguing. It as you know states that it is generally the tenants responsibility for carpet cleaning. As in generally landlords have this as a term in the rental agreement. If it is not a term then the tenant is not responsible. A different way of looking at it: a tenat is responsible for cleaning the window tracks regardless if it is a term of tenancy or not. :9923:

Return to “Central Okanagan”