Do you want smart meters?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Do you want smart meters?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 32

wolfen_one
Fledgling

Re: Do you want smart meters?

Post by wolfen_one »

[quote="StraitTalk"]Used to be kind of against the things, then got informed about them, and realized they're fine.

It's funny because when you ask people who "don't want a smart meter" why, they don't know why or their reason is false.

Popular one I've heard, Wireless Interference. Yo, that was proven to be a non-issue a long time ago by the CRTC.

I wonder if any of those CRTC people that tested have Tinnitus. If so they might react a little differently when their ears started ringing/buzzing. Just because the they tested does not mean it is a non-issue for "everyone's" individual health problems.
Transient

Post by Transient »

Castanet's poll is worded better than OP's. Why not just word it how you really mean it and ask "Are you afraid of smart meters?"

Anyone with "health concerns" should have spoke up years ago. WiFi is now commonplace. From my living room alone I can see 12 wireless networks. As you're out and about, you're continually exposed to all sorts of wireless signals that you probably don't even realize are there. Heck, even my car has bluetooth and so does many of the other cars driving past you.

Unlike all these other devices which are continually broadcasting all day every day, the smart meters only send out a signal when the meter reader comes by to read it. It's a short signal relaying your hourly usage that takes a split second to complete.

If the question was "Do you want smart meters tracking your hourly usage?" then I suspect you'd get a very different answer as well. Of course none of us want to be bothered with managing our electricity usage and paying more because we use it during peak hours. I remember all the complaints when recycling became mandatory. Nobody (and I use the term loosely) wanted to put the effort into sorting their garbage. But guess what? A few years later, it's just a normal part of life and it turned out it wasn't such a big deal after all.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Were there any possible health implications instating recycling?

And just like anything else... many historic "safe" practices can now be deemed "unsafe"

-smoking
_no seatbelts
_many prescription drugs that were "clinicly tested"

Just to name a few.
I know we can't control everything but why should we not have a choice of what we expose ourself to in OUR homes?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

wolfen_one wrote:And just like anything else... many historic "safe" practices can now be deemed "unsafe"

-smoking
_no seatbelts
Smoking and not wearing seatbelts have been declared unsafe for as long as I can remember. Smoking was criticised in the 1600's and cars were not equipped with seatbelts for a long time so don't find it relevant to this discussion. Smart meters may be getting a bad rap (especially in the cases of being linked to fires).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

I was just referring to the previous post comparing them to "recycling". How is that one relevant?

Return to “Social Concerns”