Pot holes! Pot holes! And more Pot holes!

Frozen Nibs

Pot holes! Pot holes! And more Pot holes!

Post by Frozen Nibs »

Is it me or does it seem like the road maintenance in the area has depleted? Our winter has not been as severe and yet every other road seems to be riddled with pot holes. Case in point, the other day I hit a huge pot hole on the highway and it was so big that it blew my low profile winter tires which I had put on over a month ago . I'm trying to figure out why this year is so bad. Has any one else noticed this?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Pot holes! Pot holes! And more Pot holes!

Post by Captain Awesome »

Solution - fill pot holes with pot heads.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Frozen Nibs

Post by Frozen Nibs »

Lol..
RichardW

Post by RichardW »

I think the not-so-severe winter is the cause. Instead of remaining frozen, we have a freeze-thaw cycle that is eating into the roads.
bcgirl29

Post by bcgirl29 »

Totally!!!! The huge pot hole the city filled just a few months ago when I turn into my alley is already back!!!!!!
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Report them.

I reported three a month ago and they were filled days later..
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Now here is a pothole worth complaining about, in Gatineau QC, yesterday.
Attachments
pothole.JPG
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Frozen Nibs

Post by Frozen Nibs »

The one I hit was outside of Oliver, it was about 2 feet long, 1 foot deep right in right tire lane of the road. It blew my tire right out going at highway speeds. Tried calling the road maintenance that handles this area of road, no answer as it was during the lunch hour. Drove back to kelowna with periodic stops to see if I could get tire changed, but due to my tire size ended up going back to tire shop where I purchased the tires a month before and had it changed under warranty. They are every where.. definitely not a good thing for the alignment. That stretch of road was repaired within the week.. but it was baaaad.
JoePlanner
Fledgling

Post by JoePlanner »

Wait, you had your tire replaced by warranty? The tire that blew because you drove into a deep pothole? That sounds like a pretty generous warranty!
Frozen Nibs

Post by Frozen Nibs »

A brand new tire should be able to withstand hitting a pot hole, the 10 vehicles ahead of me who hit the same hole were fine. It was the multiple shops I stopped into that told me to get it done under warranty as I had less than 5% wear on it.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

There's a pothole developing on Louie Dr. near the Grandview Terrace entrance that promises to be a car-swallower!
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Solution - fill pot holes with pot heads.

In this City... right, we'd have speed bumps everywhere!! LOL

I think the trick to this problem is timely, fill them tight before fall or with the daily thaw and freeze they become hazardous.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

RichardW wrote:I think the not-so-severe winter is the cause. Instead of remaining frozen, we have a freeze-thaw cycle that is eating into the roads.

That's exactly right, yet reading various threads on Castanet, it would appear many aren't getting that. We aren't having a "severe" winter as such, but compared to the ones of the past three or four years, we are almost constantly hovering right at the freezing mark, so bouncing up and down far more than usual where we generally stay in a cool or warm trend for a while.

That fluctuation is wreaking havoc on all our roads, and it has nothing to do with road maintenance, and much more with the fact that potholes are appearing much faster than crews can repair them.

Winters like this there is no substitute for simply being constantly cautious and observant.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

You need to determine who the road belongs to. If it is a city road, report it to the city. If it is a district road, report it to the district. If it is a highway, report it to the Ministry of Transportation.

While I can't comment of city or district roads, it's obvious that road maintenance on highways has deteriorated greatly in the past decade. The standards have been reduced by the government and it's showing. Potholes that used to be patched properly are just being filled with cold mix, which won't last the winter. Repaving Okanagan highways are being delayed to save money. Line painting has been reduced. There are two reasons; it's all a move by the government to keep costs down to keep the corporate tax rate 2.45% below the national average, and much of the maintenance money for our Okanagan roads has been redirected to the Port Mann Bridge project in Vancouver. Vancouver votes are more important than Okanagan votes.
kelowna_managment

Post by kelowna_managment »

Frozen Nibs wrote:The one I hit was outside of Oliver, it was about 2 feet long, 1 foot deep right in right tire lane of the road. It blew my tire right out going at highway speeds. Tried calling the road maintenance that handles this area of road, no answer as it was during the lunch hour. Drove back to kelowna with periodic stops to see if I could get tire changed, but due to my tire size ended up going back to tire shop where I purchased the tires a month before and had it changed under warranty. They are every where.. definitely not a good thing for the alignment. That stretch of road was repaired within the week.. but it was baaaad.

We were travelling in a party of two about 1.5 months ago. The car ahead "Heavy 4 door sedan with steel wheels" hit it, but never blew the tire. We were in a truck behind and swerved. I can Believe after 1.5 months no one has done anything. Its right beside some trees and a small grey fruit packing building I believe.

Return to “Central Okanagan”