Forum Photo Contest!

A potpourri of off-topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Forum Photo Contest!

Post by Queen K »

Liquidnails wrote:I definitely recommend a trip out to Deadman Falls and the Center of the Universe. Beautiful country with an interesting history out there.

Seconded. What I especially appreciate is all the vintage pioneer buildings, the vintage wrecks and the small rec.sites at all the lakes. One needs a whole day from turn off to getting back. When I recommend this place I always say the same thing. Leave for it the day of your last work day, stay over night in either Cache Creek or Kamloops. From Kamloops, give yourself an early morning breakie and get to the turn off Deadman-Vidette Road. If you like to take those little hikes, photograph or fish, you will need All day. No kidding.

If you are in Cache Creek, you'd love the entrance from Back Valley Rd, however you may not love me so much once you find the 18% grade and switchbacks you have to down to get onto Deadman-Vidette and turn left. You might forgive me because that is the way to see the dramatic cliffs on the other side of the valley, which can not be experienced when looking up so much as across.

I always travel to these places with the best mapbook in the country www.backroadmapbooks.com
The Thompson Okanagan BC, Backroad Mapbook.

To me, GPS just doesn't cut it when a wrong turn can result in disaster.
Last edited by Queen K on Feb 4th, 2013, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

These sorts of rock formations kind of all look the same to me, and I've only ever seen them in a few locations in BC:

Kamloops/Vidette area (ruled out)
Along the Fraser and Chilcotin Rivers (They were sandier looking)

which leaves

In the Kootenays, somewhere around Columbia lake. I remember taking a picture out the window of the truck while on the way to the turn off to scope out some undeveloped hot springs.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Liquidnails! I'll accept that! Yes, the Herfert Hoodoos area is spectacular in it's own right. To anyone who doesn't know, it's just 10-15 minutes past Fairmont HotSprings at Dutchman Creek. We took dozens of photos as we had a bluebird picture perfect day for doing so. I recommend that area as the perfect three day trip. My only regret is that we were actually headed somewhere else and couldn't have the time to find the hoodoo trails.

So you're on. What have you got for us?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Name the location and the body of water.
Attachments
123.jpg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Sugar Lake dam. Shuswap River as it comes out of Sugar Lake.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:Sugar Lake dam. Shuswap River as it comes out of Sugar Lake.

I second that Glacier
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Yep.

Hey Queen K, have you ever been out to Rainbow Falls out past Sugar Lake?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Funny you should say that. Last year we headed out to do exactly that on the strength of a contest winning photograph. And an odd thing had happened, we were told the road had washed out for 200 ft and the whole area was under reconstruction. So we made it to Shuswap Rec Site on Hwy. 6, the falls, Sugar Lake and the dam you just posted but decided we hadn't got the proper footwear to be bushwacking.

So this year is Rainbow Falls year. Oh and Hamilton Falls above Emerald Lake and Wapita Falls and a few others.

We collect falls and butterfly pix.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I've been by the Sugar Lake dam many times (mostly to go fishing or canoeing on Sugar Lake), but never actually stopped at the dam. It was a guess based on the vegetation.

Which Alberta town was I in when I took this picture?

perogy.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hey Glacier my guess is here:
http://autos.ca.msn.com/specials/road-t ... 899&page=4

I do have pic to post if my guess is correct
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

That is one big-arse Perogie.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:Hey Glacier my guess is here:
http://autos.ca.msn.com/specials/road-t ... 899&page=4

I do have pic to post if my guess is correct

Wrong.........

kidding. Congrats, post a picture!

How many of you have ever been to Glendon, Alberta?
- Douglas Murray
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Glacier wrote:

How many of you have ever been to Glendon, Alberta?

Aye!!, I was in the bulk grain and fertilizer industry for quite a few years before moving Here.

I've been in about every grain elevator West Of Winnipeg

Now I'm mostly known for my fertilizer. :127: :sillygrin:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
mee-mo87
Board Meister

Post by mee-mo87 »

Glacier wrote:How many of you have ever been to Glendon, Alberta?

Not me, but now I'm going... with a side of bacon and sour cream...

On another note... I posted this last year and had some gracious Castanetters help out, so here I am again...

I work for a local publishing company, producing complimentary destination & lifestyle magazines for the Okanagan, from Kamloops to Salmon Arm, down to the border. We are constantly looking for new images to feature in the magazine and would like to also establish a connection with local photographers, both professional and amateur. I've seen some amazing shots here and I would like to extend the offer to anyone whom is interested; we will give photo credit for the image used and if you require more, we can certainly talk about it... please pm me for more details. Thanks!

Return to “Grab Bag”