The Real Gun

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: The Real Gun

Post by Ken7 »

O.K Cutter,

Help me out. You recieved the call, you are now the cop. Tell me how you would deal with it.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Amarow121 wrote:Very confusing. Is RCMP Cst. Kris Clark indicating that all guns (rifles/shotguns/handguns) need to be transported in a case?
This is not true. Rifles and Shotguns do not need to be transported in a case.

Also, is RCMP Cst. Kris Clark not aware that the rules around handguns are very strict? Handguns may only be shot at a gun range.

The Cst. isn't saying that they need to be, but that they should be to help prevent confusion. Especially when it comes to something like a handgun or assault rifle-styled airgun, you'd rather not be raising any concern should you be pulled over with one on your way to the bush/range.

cutter7 wrote:You do realize that there was no life or death situation? the resident of the house pointed a toy gun at a vagrant on his property and said "bang bang"

No crime commited and no threat to the officers or anyone else. The tenant was questioned and voluntarily retrieved the toy from his residence for the police.

And how is the poor guy at the other end of the gun supposed to know it's not real? The fact that people think these are simply toys and treat them as such are what cause all these problems.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
RichardW

Post by RichardW »

Phoenix Within wrote:Anytime anything even looks like a gun, it's a life or death situation for them. I don't envy the decisions they have to make in the line of duty.

That's because they carry guns. It's shoot or be shot for both police officer and criminal.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

RichardW wrote:It's shoot or be shot for both police officer and criminal.

Congratulations for making the most ridiculous statement of the night.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
RichardW

Post by RichardW »

Looking again at my wording, I can see how I failed to make my point, although it would remain to be seen whether more-carefully chosen words would make a difference to your response or not.

Sometimes it pays to look counter intuitively at situations. For example, have you ever had the opportunity to observe someone who can make themself better heard in a room of people by speaking more quietly? Logically, if you speak quietly, fewer people will hear, but counter intuitively more people will listen.

Arm the police with lethal force and logically they will be able to protect themselves, but counter intuitively if they are not armed fewer people will consider there a need to shoot at the police in the first place. Or at least that's my hypothesis.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

It's shoot or be shot for both police officer and criminal.
Congratulations for making the most ridiculous statement of the night.[/quote]

Sorry did I miss something. Why is this a ridiculous statement
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Ken7 wrote:O.K Cutter,

Help me out. You recieved the call, you are now the cop. Tell me how you would deal with it.

Wow! are you serious? I never criticized the police in any way shape or form nor did I critique the way police handled this particular situation.

I assumed that people not only read the article ( where I took the comments trained police officers had a hard time knowing the difference between a toy and the real gun and castanet almost 70% of readers knew the difference from.) I assumed that people would have known what the article was about due the original story that triggered police response was well publicized.

Secondly, I could never think like a cop,, I do not have the ability to slow my brain down enough....( now thats cop bashing)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

70% knew the difference? How about they were guessing, or watched the newscast and then cast their vote. Saying 70% knew is just another guess.

While you may be able to eventually tell the difference between the two from up close - there is no way you would be able to tell whether you are staring down the barrel of a real or fake gun from a distance while it is being held in a potentially dangerous situation.

For Clark and police officers across the country there-in lies the problem.

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Fancy wrote:70% knew the difference? How about they were guessing, or watched the newscast and then cast their vote. Saying 70% knew is just another guess.

Read it again.... I didn't write the article. It was a castanet article that I intentionally quoted to flame a certain police supporter.

naturally some of those who voted just guessed, some of us knew the difference as well. I would assume that most of us would extrapolate from the information given that realistic toy guns cause police responses and those responses could turn out deadly.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Cutter...

No problem I read into your post and took it you felt the replica was not a danger. I was therefore seeing what you would do. Sadly police officers do not have the chance to look at these guns as we have on this post.

Mili-seconds save lives in a cops world, shoot don't shoot.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

cutter7 wrote:Read it again.... I didn't write the article.
I know that - I read the article (obviously since I quoted from it). I found it amusing that the words "educated guess" was used in it as well. How many that voted have ever seen a gun up close? Random guesses aren't educated. The poll doesn't mean anything - not in a real life scenario.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

cutter7 wrote:Wow! are you serious? I never criticized the police in any way shape or form nor did I critique the way police handled this particular situation.

Oh no? Your memory appears to be slipping.

cutter7 wrote:The police in no way needed to fear for their safety or make a rush judgement call to disarm anyone.

Do you honestly expect the guy who reported this or the police to just assume it's a fake gun. The last person I heard of that dismissed a handgun as fake got shot.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Busdriver1964 wrote:Sorry did I miss something. Why is this a ridiculous statement

It's the implication by the poster that criminals need to be armed because the police are armed. By that logic, the general public should be armed and in fear of the police too!

Police with no guns? Only works in a society with no guns. We are far from that.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

underscore... what are you talking about? are you implying that I criticized how the police handled this particular case? I did not.

I have no comment regarding how the police responded to this particular gun case as it was a non issue.

When I feel the police mishandle a case I will comment,,, you can be sure of that and we can have our pointless argument at that time
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

I know that - I read the article (obviously since I quoted from it). I found it amusing that the words "educated guess" was used in it as well. How many that voted have ever seen a gun up close? Random guesses aren't educated. The poll doesn't mean anything - not in a real life scenario.[/quote]

I don't really know what to say besides.... WELL,,, DUH

Return to “Central Okanagan”