Anne McClymont Elementary bottleneck

Home of the traffic rant.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Anne McClymont Elementary bottleneck

Post by tsayta »

Perhaps due to poor planning, one of the main commuter arteries from kettle Valley runs through the AME school zone at about the same same time as parents are dropping their kids at school . The result is a long traffic jam that often exceeds 3 km in length. This has become so frustrating that people sometimes do crazy things . Two weeks ago I saw some jack Wagon pass traffic in the oncoming lane for 200 meters just to get ahead. The city of Kelowna may have some short and long term solutions such as....

1.) take gordon: no good because there are TWO school zones
2.) wait for the future perimeter bypass to East Kelowna

But why would they not just force AME to change the school start time to 9:00am thereby avoiding the rush hour for commuters?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Cosmo Kramer

Re: Anne McClymont Elementary bottleneck

Post by Cosmo Kramer »

Or you could just go to work earlier.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Lol
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Seriously...3km? That would stretch from the school to The Eldorado. Not a chance. I come in from the Upper Mission off of Barnaby and if the traffic comes anywhere around the corner towards Sun City Cherries that's pushing it.

If you're coming from the Mission down Gordon...turn off either direction on Dehart (either towards Lakeshore or towards East Kelowna). Each of those options won't take you through the Gordon school zones.

You could swing right back onto Lakeshore (after the school) or take Dehart/Swamp to Benvoulin and make great time.

Or leave earlier.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Always Sunny wrote:Seriously...3km? That would stretch from the school to The Eldorado. Not a chance. I come in from the Upper Mission off of Barnaby and if the traffic comes anywhere around the corner towards Sun City Cherries that's pushing it.

If you're coming from the Mission down Gordon...turn off either direction on Dehart (either towards Lakeshore or towards East Kelowna). Each of those options won't take you through the Gordon school zones.

You could swing right back onto Lakeshore (after the school) or take Dehart/Swamp to Benvoulin and make great time.

Or leave earlier.

yes,, it's more of a timing issue , I take gordon if its between 8:15 and 8:35 as i've seen that bottle neck stretch up past barnaby resulting in a half hr commute to the mission business area.

I've seen gordon jammed up from dorothy walker to well past okm school but the traffic seems to flow better.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Why not go down Gordon to DeHart, then take DeHart to Lakeshore? That's the best way to bypass all the school zones.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

underscore wrote:Why not go down Gordon to DeHart, then take DeHart to Lakeshore? That's the best way to bypass all the school zones.

you still get in the okm traffic but I agree that is the best bet.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

True, doesn't OKM start at 9 though? I thought only elementary schools start at 8:30. If you want to try to dodge OKM you could try Gordon /R/ Vance or McLure /L/ Raymer /R/ back to Gordon or even onto Schafer if you want to go further, but I doubt all that cutting around would save much time unless it's REALLY backed up.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

underscore wrote:True, doesn't OKM start at 9 though? I thought only elementary schools start at 8:30. If you want to try to dodge OKM you could try Gordon /R/ Vance or McLure /L/ Raymer /R/ back to Gordon or even onto Schafer if you want to go further, but I doubt all that cutting around would save much time unless it's REALLY backed up.

It does start at nine and there is no school zone speed limit for okm however traffic is still a bit slower due to all the people heading to work, the lights at dehart and dorothy walker just past the lights.

My wife takes the route you mentioned as it does seem to be the best way if you get stuck down there during the morning rush.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Makes me wonder what the future will hold for all these Upper Mission peeps. I mean we have a new school that is in no way big enough so they line up for hours to secure a spot and Anne Mc Clymont that i thought was downsizing when the new school opened yet it seems they are still using the buildings across the road. All this and we are no where near the total expected homes to be built up there. I guess there will be more traffic woes to come.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Pretty sure its DorothEA Walker, not Dorothy..btw..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”