Question about school curriculum

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
rioghnacha
Board Meister

Re: question about school curriculum

Post by rioghnacha »

Those times of year were celebrated before christianity, the catholic church made them "christian" celebrations.
Good manners and respect have nothing to do with being a christian. I see quite a few church-going folks behaving in some very nasty ways. My kids were not raised in a christian household and are polite, respectful and compassionate people.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

rioghnacha wrote:Good manners and respect have nothing to do with being a christian. I see quite a few church-going folks behaving in some very nasty ways. My kids were not raised in a christian household and are polite, respectful and compassionate people.

Exactly ...

"A university student and pastor's son, whose plans to become a doctor have been trashed because of crimes committed during the Stanley Cup riot, should be jailed for nine months, the prosecution told his sentencing hearing Friday."

From " The Province " Vancouver.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
FreeRights
Guru

Re: Question about school curriculum

Post by FreeRights »

james-d wrote:I must be of the part of society that is uninformed, I am not a religious person.per say, But I do believe in God. When really was it that the reference to God was removed from our schools.? No more lords prayer, no more God save the queen. If the school boards agree, along with the majority of teachers I have spoken to. Why do they continue to do what they do? Taking 10 days off at Christmas,time to celebrate the birth of Jesus, oops I mean Happy Holiday time.,And how come they take ten days holidays at easter to celebrate his ressurection? Would it not be prudent to keep ALL the teachers in school working that do not believe in god, And don't want it in our schools. And by the way if other faiths are offended by the christian belief in God being aknowlegded in our schools and want to take time out of the school day to pray and feel that the christian believers should just wait in suspended classess while this occurs, Is this fair play. In Toronto this is what they have requested ,because there are so many of the Muslim faith. They were refused But the muslim mps have declared they will continue to pressure the school boards until it happens, That will not take long to reach our part of the country.. But,then I assume our teachers would not mind a couple of hours a day added to their work day, Or would they? You know at least this would be showing tremendous respect for OTHER religions. Jut wondered.

Those holidays, like Christmas and Easter Monday, are stat holidays.

All stat holidays are days off in schools.

Christmas just happens to be the half-point that allows a switch between semesters.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Celebrating winter solstice occurred well before Christ was born - maybe times are reverting back to the origins of specific holidays.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

FreeRights wrote:Those holidays, like Christmas and Easter Monday, are stat holidays.

All stat holidays are days off in schools.

Christmas just happens to be the half-point that allows a switch between semesters.

And I believe that Christmas isn't even a school holiday in the southern hemisphere since they're in the middle of summer break.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

mxtaylor wrote:when the school board decided to teach facts rather than fairy tales.

Evolution is a scientific theory, not a proven fact. So perhaps you have overstepped your high horse here.

underscore wrote:Agreed. Religion has no place in a public school (or any public system for that matter).

I would also disagree with this in the following way.

Religion should not be taught in public schools, however religion should be taught about. To pretend that no religions exist is silly, but a general part of social studies acknowledging the fact shouldn't be harmful or considered as "religion in school", but that's just my opinion.

As for "why keep those holidays", simple, those dates were chosen by a majority christian group a long long time ago, however due to time and tradition they have simply become the accepted dates, not due to religion, but due to habit.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Veovis wrote:Religion should not be taught in public schools, however religion should be taught about. To pretend that no religions exist is silly, but a general part of social studies acknowledging the fact shouldn't be harmful or considered as "religion in school", but that's just my opinion.

I don't consider that religion in school either, maybe I should have specified that in my post. I do believe we were taught a bit about various religions in school as parts of other curriculum. There is already a lot of real-world information that should be taught in public schools that they don't, and something like a "religious/racial/sexual tolerance" class would be good for explaining the basics of major religions and cultures and such. That would probably help a good deal with preventing racism/hate crimes because there is a tonne of ignorance out there.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

james-d wrote:I agree with you grama freddy..

ME too!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

dirtybiker wrote:
I disagree, Tell me a better way to teach en-mass (hehe) morals, ethics and right and wrong?
As well as honour and to be faithful, whether it be to your family, your friends,
your future employer, or your spouse.

I was raised Religious but, have my own take on the whole thing.
I believe in God, just not the Church.

The teachings I recieved though still shape the way I live and treat people.

Look at society these days, no honour, no ethics and a bunch
of morally bankrupt souls wandering aimlessly.

( I should delete this, but won't, I'll stand by every word!)

As an atheist I raise my children to be moral and ethical because it is the right to do. A society that treats others around them well is a more loving and productive one. It terrifies me that there are people out there who believe without religion they would have no morals and go and do who knows what. True good people are the one who do good when they think no one is watching. We developed morals and ethics through memetic evolution. When you are living in smaller social groups you are more productive if you are working together as a unit. You probably won't eat if you are killing everyone or stealing all their stuff and get kicked out. Religion does not own the rights on morality by any means.

If we look at the lack of morals and ethics you perceive are occurring perhaps it is because nothing is being taught and not that it is your beliefs not being taught? Personally I think it is still memetic evolution that is occurring because we separate and compartmentalize ourselves so much from each other now. We don't think we need the group to survive anymore so we develop the attitude that it's everyone for themselves and begin to lack empathy.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I have no problem with comparative religion courses talking about religion. It's a topic that should be learned about and if it includes reading their books, that is fine too. It is when the line is crossed to practicing religion or proselytizing that gets my hackles up. I will not send my child to a school that pushes religion on them. I strongly believe school should be a safe haven of secularism where they can focus on learning. If I want to introduce my child to anyone's god I will take them to church, that is where religion belongs.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

I went to Catholic School. In grade 11 we had "world religions". Every main religion was covered, discussed and compared. We even went to various churches, temples and synagogues around town and talked to various leaders about their faith.

Best class ever.

Every year we had to take "Christian Living", where we talked about everything from Catholicism, peer pressure, social issues and sex. Of course this was taught from "the catholic perspective" and was one of the most brainwashing experiences I have been put through.

I'll quote a grade 11 teacher.

'Today we are going to talk about abortion and just so you know I have to present a fairly balanced lesson plan but - end of the day - it's murder and anyone that supports it supports murdering babies".

Worst class ever.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Veovis wrote:Evolution is a scientific theory, not a proven fact. So perhaps you have overstepped your high horse here.

Somebody doesn't know the definition of "theory" in science, nor do you actually know what the theory of evolution is. The actual "theory" is speciation by evolution - the development of new distinct species evolving from already existing ones. As for a theory - "Gravity" is also a theory. Should you doubt the one solely based on the word "theory", you should doubt the other. Perhaps if you pray first, you'll magically float rather than plummet after stepping off a bridge?

Veovis wrote:
I would also disagree with this in the following way.

Religion should not be taught in public schools, however religion should be taught about. To pretend that no religions exist is silly, but a general part of social studies acknowledging the fact shouldn't be harmful or considered as "religion in school", but that's just my opinion.

I'd love to see advanced theological studies in school comparing Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Bahá'í, Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Sikhism. Taoism, Shinto, paganism, Zoroastrianism, Yazdânism, Ahl-e Haqq, Sufism, and of course the various New Age faiths.

Oh wait - I'm sure by "religion in school" you meant your own religion and nobody else's.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Sneaksuit
Board Meister

Post by Sneaksuit »

36Drew wrote:I'd love to see advanced theological studies in school comparing Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Bahá'í, Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Sikhism. Taoism, Shinto, paganism, Zoroastrianism, Yazdânism, Ahl-e Haqq, Sufism, and of course the various New Age faiths.

High school curriculum is not advanced and nobody mentioned theology. An overview of the major religions of the world would give students an understanding of belief and our history of it.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

No, one has answered my question.Or perhaps choose to ignore it. What would you do if your child was having to wait out classes because those that are of muslim or islam faith take time out of the school day to pray. This is maintsream in their religious beliefs and must be adhered to. Should we respect this and maybe add a couple of hours a day to the school day??? And If we do , Perhaps they would respect the Christian beliefs that this country was built on. After all, This is Canada.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Sneaksuit wrote:High school curriculum is not advanced and nobody mentioned theology. An overview of the major religions of the world would give students an understanding of belief and our history of it.

Somebody said that religion should be taught about. That's theology. You appear to have missed the rather obvious point I was trying to make...
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Social Concerns”