Any Animal Sightings?

Darlin06
Board Meister

Any Animal Sightings?

Post by Darlin06 »

Just curious if anyone has spotted any wild animals in the upper Glenrosa area....Particularly on Gates, past the fire hall. Our 2 dogs have been acting just crazy each night at bedtime, whimpering, jumping onto the bed and making sure they are protecting me...They start barking and howling when I get up to leave the bedroom, etc...The last time they acted like this, that cougar was spotted in someone's tree down on Gates....

Just curious if anything has been seen....
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Any Animal Sightings?

Post by dogspoiler »

One of my buddies lives up there. He described what sounded an awful lot like a wolf in his yard. They are becoming more common in the area.
Black Dogs Matter
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

I thought I heard something like that the first night but wasn't sure...Sounded a little further away but that could be it....
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." ~ Ann Landers
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

No wolves or cougars....but the racoons are driving my dog crazy....and the magpies are pulling all of my christmas lights from the roof.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Darlin06
Board Meister

Post by Darlin06 »

Oh my goodness....I have yet to see any raccoons here!
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

I thought wolves avoid human contact? They are hunters not scavengers from what I understood would they veer away from neighborhoods? I could be wrong I have not researched anything.
AltaRed
Fledgling

Post by AltaRed »

There has been a pack of coyotes yapping somewhere on/around Mt. Boucherie the last few nights. Almost sound like they are across the street from me.
demi

Post by demi »

I was driving down Mission Hill Road the other night and I did see a wolf run right in front of me. I couldn't believe it. Thought I must be wrong. But now hearing this...
AltaRed
Fledgling

Post by AltaRed »

demi wrote:I was driving down Mission Hill Road the other night and I did see a wolf run right in front of me. I couldn't believe it. Thought I must be wrong. But now hearing this...

They are coyotes, not wolves.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

AltaRed wrote:They are coyotes, not wolves.

True.
Tons of them around this year....and some of them are really big for coyotes...but they're not wolves.

Of course, it could have been someone's dog as well. More than a few Wolf hybrids around....some that look a lot more wolf than shepard or husky.
Old enough to care less.
mekathy
Übergod

Post by mekathy »

there are wolves around, so in all fairness it very well could have been a wolf.
AltaRed
Fledgling

Post by AltaRed »

Along the connector, more likely. Up around the Big White area, more likely. Not a chance in urban areas.
mekathy
Übergod

Post by mekathy »

A trail camera captures an image of a grey wolf about 20 kilometres east of Kelowna. The presence of an estimated 75 to 100 wolves in the Okanagan region has prompted an open season with a kill limit of three per hunter, which critics say cannot be justified.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/ ... z2Kd2bY2rZ
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

mekathy wrote:A trail camera captures an image of a grey wolf about 20 kilometres east of Kelowna. The presence of an estimated 75 to 100 wolves in the Okanagan region has prompted an open season with a kill limit of three per hunter, which critics say cannot be justified.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/ ... z2Kd2bY2rZ

No one is disputing that there are wolves in the Okanagan area....but Mission Hills Rd is far from being a wilderness area and the chances of wolves being there are slim....very slim.
Wolves are not like coyotes, who adapt well to living along side humans.

East Kelowna is surrounded by mountains, forests, canyons, wilderness....Mission Hill...not so much.
Really can't see wolves coming down from the hills, crossing through all the the developments and subdivisions, crossing Hwy 97, heading through more subdivisions, to get to Mission Hill.

The last verified sighting was several years ago....near Big White. A black wolf that had been killed by a car.
Old enough to care less.
Divor
Fledgling

Post by Divor »

2 large moose at Webber and Glenrosa right now

Return to “Central Okanagan”