Applebee's waitress fired for posting no-tip receipt to Redd

samsquench07
Übergod

Re: Applebee's waitress fired for posting no-tip receipt to

Post by samsquench07 »

tips are a scam and rip off, especially mandatory.

Why don't the restaurant just raise there meal items to cover that extra 15% that they are trying to get. Or quit hiding the mandatory tip policy in some fine print. I would never go back to these type of rip of restaurants
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Well, anyone who eats at a restaurant should be aware that a tip between 10% and 20% is expected. These people who wait on you and put up with all the snivelling and whining of 'holier than thou' customers deserve something. It's just reality. So leave a tip ya cheepskate, that waiter or waitress probably hates their job and all the grumpy stuck-ups that feel they're 'entitled' to good service and so on. You don't really think that it's a career choice I hope. As for firing the employee, public appearance for sure. The pastor is a cheap creep. IMHO.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

samsquench07 wrote:tips are a scam and rip off, especially mandatory.

Why don't the restaurant just raise there meal items to cover that extra 15% that they are trying to get. Or quit hiding the mandatory tip policy in some fine print. I would never go back to these type of rip of restaurants

Don't travel then.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

I travel anywhere I like. and leave a loonie if there lucky.

Years ago I delivered water here in the valley, and I can tell you I worked just as hard, and harder than any waiter/waitress around, hauling water where the customer wanted, how they wanted it, up flights of stairs etc etc, and received no tip, and for around minimum wage as well. That my friends why tipping is one big Placebo.

And my example doesn't end there. Every single person who works hard, from lifting lumber at home depot, fixing my computer up perfectly, getting my printing/office supplies on time, finding a product I need at a grocery store.... the list goes on.

Restaurant industry works no harder than anybody else, its just that they whine more. I have actually worked as a waiter/waitress. Its not hard people. You only have to be nice to people. Cater to what they need. That's part of the job. I don't ever find waiter/waitressing hard. If You know/and learn how to deal with people, its a piece of cake.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Oh you so missed my point. Dining in other countries decades ago had an automatic gratuity at more than 10%. This tipping business is not a new concept by any means. How this incident played out was intialized by the pastor. Shame shame shame.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

yeah, true, you for surely don't have to go to the extent by ridiculing the restaurant. I would just not tip if I was forced into it, and never go back. They would be off my list.

Thankfully, there are many mom and pop restaurants in this country, that give great service, great food and don't demand any tip at all. Do you ever notice that those "big shot" restaurants that shoot dirties for not tipping enough, or put mandatory tip on are generally food that comes from the box from Sysco or GFS? So, to me, in my opinion, im not missing much anyway.
msj

Post by msj »

Captain Awesome wrote:Pastors pay taxes just like everyone else, including on non-monetary compensation (living arrangements, etc.)

In Canada the clergy get the "Clergy Residence Deduction" which is not "just like everyone else."

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/231/menu-eng.html

I'm pretty sure the US has a similar give away to clergy.
sammym

Post by sammym »

msj wrote:In Canada the clergy get the "Clergy Residence Deduction" which is not "just like everyone else."

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/231/menu-eng.html

I'm pretty sure the US has a similar give away to clergy.

Yes, they get the clergy residence deduction...but you have to know what a non refundable tax credit is. It is only a tax credit that equals a small percentage of total income.

And living arrangements are actually a taxable benefit.

The bottom line is that the T slip issued to most clergy do not show those benefits, as the church assumes that they will not be audited. And they rarely are audited...
msj

Post by msj »

sammym wrote:Yes, they get the clergy residence deduction...but you have to know what a non refundable tax credit is. It is only a tax credit that equals a small percentage of total income.

And living arrangements are actually a taxable benefit.

The bottom line is that the T slip issued to most clergy do not show those benefits, as the church assumes that they will not be audited. And they rarely are audited...

Given that I am a tax accountant who happens to have a couple (literally, a married couple) who are clergy in two different Churches I happen to know not only what a taxable benefit is but what a non refundable tax credit is.

The non-refundable tax credit would only be important if that is what we are talking about.

We are talking about line 231 of the tax return which clearly falls under the section between total income (line 150) and net income (line 236). This is the subtotal prior to taxable income at line 260.

IOW - line 231 is a deduction.

If it was a tax credit it would fall under schedule 1 and be in the 300 section. But it does not show up there, ergo, not a tax credit.

In the case of my religious couple they save about $5,213 in taxes thanks to this deduction.

If I paid living accommodations for my staff I would be expected to put it in as a taxable benefit on their T4 (just like my clients have done) but my staff person would not get any special deduction for it.

So, yes, it is a benefit given to clergy and not to regular people.

Return to “Canada”