Financial options to homeschool your child?

itzmewilson

Financial options to homeschool your child?

Post by itzmewilson »

After endless bullying for my child at the local high school - and endless days of my child coming home in tears. Countless therapy sessions, dr's visits, etc, etc....I have decided this local high school is not a healthy environment for my child to continue in.

I have spoken with the staff and basically told that with 1500+ students, it's impossible to catch everything that goes on.

I am at the point of considering homeschooling - but wondering if their are financial options for single parents who are potentially facing having to quit their jobs to home school their children??
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Re: Financial options to homeschool your child???

Post by French Castanut »

lawsuits against the bulliers?
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I doubt there is any assistance.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
sammym

Post by sammym »

No. Money for education is collected through your taxes. It goes solely to the government education system. Even people with no children, pay the tax.

Think about it...if you could get paid or subsidized by the government, to stay at home with your children, everyone would do it!!!
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I am sorry for your child's experience.
Is it possible to switch schools? Second semester is just at a beginning.
Is there a private school that will give a subsidy to a lower-income parent, or where there is an opportunity to contribute in some way to reduce tuition fees?
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

It sounds like your child is old enough to be at home alone as she or he is in high school, and if not, then I would say there is more going on than a bullying problem. Here's an option that shouldn't cost you anything and would also allow your child to maybe get a part-time job.

http://sd23.bcln.ca/course/index.php
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

hmmmm ... money is paid out to the various school districts and to the schools based upon a per student amount. It may be possible for you to access that money for educational and teaching aids for homeschooling. However, that won't cover your loss of wages. Try asking the school district staff about this bullying and also about what is available to you as a homeschooling parent. Many years ago the family living behind me with six kids homeschooled all of them and she got paid as their teacher. Mind you, she was a certified teacher so that might make a difference. You won't know until you ask, though.

As a homeschooling parent, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to quit working. Can you work from home doing something to bring in money? Can you exist on part-time wages? Can your kid look after himself and do school assignments if you aren't there to supervise? Can you buddy-up with other homeschooling parents/kids for some days/classes? You could "teach" in the evenings and give him schoolwork to do while you are at work.

I did find this group online http://www.meetup.com/Westbank-Kelowna-Homeschoolers/
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
sammym

Post by sammym »

grammafreddy wrote:hmmmm ... money is paid out to the various school districts and to the schools based upon a per student amount. It may be possible for you to access that money for educational and teaching aids for homeschooling.

No. It is not possible.

As a homeschooling parent, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to quit working. Can you work from home doing something to bring in money? Can you exist on part-time wages? Can your kid look after himself and do school assignments if you aren't there to supervise? Can you buddy-up with other homeschooling parents/kids for some days/classes? You could "teach" in the evenings and give him schoolwork to do while you are at work.

You need to structure homeshooling with certain hours per day to be considered valid. From 9-3 (for example) you must be 100% committed to the schooling, not a home business.

I did find this group online http://www.meetup.com/Westbank-Kelowna-Homeschoolers/
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Here's another option if your child is at least in grade 10:

Senior Storefront Schools
About the Program

At the Senior Storefront School we offer an alternate program for students in grades 10 - 12 who are typically over the age of 15. This is a self-paced program, although some online courses can also be accessed through the senior storefront schools. Students not currently enrolled or attending school can contact Randy Horne, Vice Principal, at 250.870.5120 ext. 4802. Students currently enrolled at their local school are referred to us by the local administrators. Students can also be directed to a Storefront School by the District Suspension Review Committee, or by the Director of Student Support Services.
Students attend 2 hours daily and are assigned to one teacher at a set time.
http://www.cps.sd23.bc.ca/Programs/secondary/Pages/default.aspx
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Hi Itzmewilson,

I am very sorry to hear about the terrible situation your child has been dealing with. I have personal experience with homeschooling recently. There are many, many options for your child outside of the traditional school setting. The poster who said that you must have a structured time frame to be considered valid is totally wrong.
Begin your research here:
http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/home_school/
This will explain the difference between distributed learning and true homeschooling the requirements under the School Act. Probably by high-school age, you will want to find an independent online school, with curriculum choices, online tutors, teachers or learning consultants, and a financial stipend to help with school costs. There are many to choose from.
Personally, I liked Self Design: http://selfdesign.org/
But there are many. Take a look at this great article covering many of the options here in BC:
http://www.ourbigearth.com/2008/08/31/back-to-school-homeschooling-in-bc-how-to-get-started/
There is always the option of choosing some distributed online courses and some in-school classes. If there are some classes your child wants to stay in, something like that can be worked out.
Trust yourself! If your gut is telling you that your child needs options, listen! I will never regret my decision to homeschool. It was a difficult decision, because our system is not generally supportive of parents who do this, but it was one of the BEST decisions of my life.
As for working while you homeschool, I know parents who manage this. Mostly part time, but if your child is self directed, and your hours are flexible, you can probably make it work.
Good luck and all the best.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

I appreciate the fact that BC has one of the most open homeschooling policies in the world, but I would like to see at least annual formal testing. Although most homeschoolers are very serious about the process and dedicate a great deal of time and effort to it, there are some out there who lack the ability to teach properly and just end up passing their ignorance on to their kids.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
jayparadigm

Re: Financial options to homeschool your child?

Post by jayparadigm »

Reply to coffeeFreak
RE: Storefront Schools

I happen to know for a fact that this particular student is not and should not under any circumstance be viewed as a candidate for Store Front School . She does not need a "self-paced program" as you suggest. In no aspect of her life does she present herself with a lackadaisical attitude. I am aware of what Store Front is and she certainly does not fit into such an environment . She wants to continue to learn , not attend a school for a mere "2 hours daily" then be discharged onto the streets with no guidance for the remainder of the day. She is an A student who enjoys her time in school . She is a beautiful , thoughtful , loving , heart filled young lady who thinks of others before herself . She is heart broke at the thought of not being a contributing member of a thriving social environment such as a Sr High School . She is dedicated to her education and has been preparing herself to pursue a rewarding career in marine biology .
Unfortunately bullying is a problem in all of our public schools . There are many wonderful people in our society who work to prevent this , as well as to help to educate us all of the adverse affects of bullying . Thank you to all of you who dedicate your time and effort to this cause .
To all of you who have children who exhibit a tendency to be bullies and pick on other children who may be smaller than them , or kinder and gentler than them , shame on you for not intervening and teaching your children right from wrong .
To any of you parents ( names being withheld for time being ) who have children in Mount Boucherie who like to bully , torment , call other girls "*bleep*" and "skanks" , fabricate ridiculous stories for their own sick immature enjoyment , and you allow it to continue , maybe its time someone who you certainly cannot and do not want to deal with shows up at your doors and bullies you . Cheers
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Hi Jayparadigm,
I am not sure if what was implied with the "self-paced", "store-front" program, but I want to point out that with distributed learning / homeschooling, students often complete the requirements of their grade sooner than their counterparts in the regular school situation. If a student is eager and has the resources, he or she can graduate early! "Self-paced" can mean a quicker, more efficient and effective pace to some learners.
Without the stress and anxiety of bullying, learning becomes much more satisfying.
JC2017

Post by JC2017 »

Hi

I'm thinking the original poster has found there way to an answer regarding home schooling their child. If not, or for those of you coming across this post looking for financial assistance of some kind, check out Self Design. It is a program for home learners guided by BC certified teachers. They supply $ towards your child(ren) education expenses.

http://selfdesign.org/
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

itzmewilson wrote:After endless bullying for my child at the local high school…

Are we talking about Mount Boucherie Secondary School here? If so, wow have things sure changed. It’s been 23 years, but I remember a high school that, while hardly perfect, certainly wasn’t horrible. Granted, I was the ‘alien’ of the school (every generation has to have its own weirdo that is far enough stage left to make even the run-of-the-mill weirdos look normal) but even I wasn’t really bullied all that much. Either that, or as a borderline aspie I just had a thick skin.

itzmewilson wrote:…with 1500+ students…

1500 students? Holy tamale. I was used to ≈600, and the place were crowded back then. 1500 is wayyy too much for that school.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.

Return to “Central Okanagan”