Selling Things Used

zerograv
Banned

Re: Selling Things Used

Post by zerograv »

computers is the worst.... people trying to sell extremely outdated tech for 800-1000 dollars because they paid 1300 for it seven years ago....

ive even asked people why there were selling something for three times more than someone can get new and they get mad at me for asking and tell me to f-off lol....and week after week i see the same ads
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
musicman

Post by musicman »

no, motorcycles are the worst..they take a slow drag from their joint and while looking at their 25 yr old clapped out dirt -bike and say.... yeah, its worth $3500..!! :purefury:
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

no, motorcycles are the worst..they take a slow drag from their joint and while looking at their 25 yr old clapped out dirt -bike and say.... yeah, its worth $3500..!!

some people love their junk too much to sell it . sentimentality has no dollar value.,
Peace be with you.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

Just like old bicycles. No value in today's world but in a 3rd world country in could mean survival for an entire family. Here in North America they are left to rust away in some rubbish pile in a ditch or behind a barn somewhere. In Africa, at least the parts can be used to make carts and simple toys.
Value is in the eye of the beholder, to others, it's just junk and a pain to dispose of.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

People don't want to believe deflation is alive and well.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Just like old bicycles. No value in today's world but in a 3rd world country in could mean survival for an entire family.

used bikes sell best ,you just cant ask 100 bucks for an old mountain bike ,you can buy one new for 100 bucks, people love older more quality bikes if you fix em up a bit,bikes for humanity only want mountain bikes ,not bmx old cruisers or kids bikes
Peace be with you.
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

kibbs wrote:used bikes sell best ,you just cant ask 100 bucks for an old mountain bike ,you can buy one new for 100 bucks, people love older more quality bikes if you fix em up a bit,bikes for humanity only want mountain bikes ,not bmx old cruisers or kids bikes

I think that is just what I said. people love old cars too, you just have to find that "special" purchaser that wants to spend the time and effort to fix-up a piece of junk to become a show piece. Those "special" people are very few and far apart. Therefore the value of the "piece" has a very limited interest.
Likewise, a swimming pool on a residential property. It may cost $50K to install, but when reselling the property, the audience has become very limited, and the cost of the pool has severely narrowed the group of potential purchasers.
Pools like old bicycles and old cars have a very limited interest by a very small group of people.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

janalta wrote:I sold a lot of stuff when I moved back from AB...and couldn't believe how many people tried lowballing what I was asking.

Yup, I agree. I've had some ridiculous low-ball offers from Castanet while I've been able to sell the same products on Kijiji for slightly lower but much more reasonable offer.

So...if you see something you like...make an offer, they're probably not expecting to sell for full asking price anyhow.

Exactly!

Also, sometiems you may not know what something is or could be selling for. So you throw a price on it. If someone gets enough low offers, maybe they'll lower expectations.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I think this has to do with how cheap people have become now as well.

I've sold stuff on Castanet for dirt cheap listings. Like 1/3 of what I should really list it for, but I wanted it sold right away so I price it very low. Then you get 5 guys calling/emailing you and offering half what you listed it at... even though it is already a steal. So might as well list high, then people can offer their low bids, which eventually works out being what you wanted to list it at anyway.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

This has worked well for me a few times.......... I see something that is overpriced a bit , I call and say I am interested but not at that price. I ask them "what the least would make you happy " . I tell them that I will not be dickering or making counter offers. If it is what I have in mind , I will buy it.

Sometimes , the price they come back with is actually lower than the offer I would have made. Consequently , I have a garage full of stuff that I just know that I will put to good use..........someday.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I love the photo's of bald winter tires , below the add saying 50% tread left.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

-fluffy- wrote:TVs are a perfect example. The technology available today far outstrips what was around ten years ago, and does it for half the price. I brought home the big fancy plasma last year, had a 33" JVC tube TV that was working every bit as well as when it came home from the store fifteen years ago, and It was a $1K TV back then, twice what I paid for the new one. I was lucky to get anything for it at all, they're dinosaurs.

Tube TV's and those rear projector types are dinosaurs, and there's no shortage of people giving them away for free, simply to get rid of them because they are so big and heavy.

My neighbour got a 60" projection style older TV for free. It worked fine but it took four guys to carry it into her place. :dyinglaughing:

I list stuff at prices that I feel are more than reasonable, and I don't have any problem getting rid of it. In fact most of the time I get exactly what I listed it for, the last fellow telling me he wasn't going to haggle as my listing it as "firm" was more than fair, given he'd done his research on it, plus I had the receipts to back up my position.

Being familiar with PC parts, I do find it amusing, what some people think their antique electronics are still worth. :D
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Ever notice the lowballers will never come look at it anyway. I tell them, you have not even seen it, and you are making a counteroffer?.. Its almost like, they dont even really want the item, but they may buy it IF they can beat you down..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Hmmm wrote: I loved the antique grand piano from the early 20 century, but over 10K? News flash, old pianos that are not Steinways are worth very little. If you're the one selling it, lower your price by about 75%. I'll give you a call.

Most go for free because its costs 300-500 just to get them moved .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I love when someone offers me 60-80% of my asking price, I accept, and then they never contact me again :dyinglaughing:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.

Return to “Central Okanagan”