A question for BC Drivers

Home of the traffic rant.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

A question for BC Drivers

Post by StraitTalk »

Does anyone know if turning indicators have to be yellow/amber in BC? I have searched high and low for the regulations on this and I'm not having much luck. Would love it if someone could confirm with a source.

Thanks!
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Re: A question for BC Drivers

Post by StraitTalk »

Wow. As soon as I posted this I found the answer.

Turn signal devices
4.13 (1) A vehicle may be equipped and mounted with

(a) a lamp type turn signal system, or
(b) a semaphore turn signal device,
functionally equivalent to original equipment supplied by the vehicle manufacturer or of a type or make approved by the director.
(2) A lamp type turn signal system must
(a) have 2 lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle, that are capable of displaying flashes of white or amber light which are visible to the front,
(b) have 2 lamps, mounted on the rear of the vehicle, that are capable of displaying flashes of red or amber light which are visible to the rear,
(c) be visible on each side of the vehicle at a distance of 100 m in normal sunlight at an angle of 45° from the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, and
(d) include a tell-tale lamp which gives a clear indication that the system is activated.
(3) During the time specified in section 4.01, a semaphore turn signal device must be capable of illumination by light or reflection visible from a distance of 100 m.
(4) A public passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle that weighs more than 4 500 kg may be equipped with supplementary turn signal lamps in addition to the turn signal system required by subsection (2).
(5) A turn signal lamp must be mounted on the vehicle at a height of not less than 38 cm and not more than 1.83 m.
(6) Subsection (5) does not apply to highway construction vehicles, maintenance vehicles, tow cars or vehicles being towed by a tow car.
(7) A vehicle which is being transported in a drive-away/tow-away operation, or is being towed by a tow car, must have turn signals that are synchronized with the turn signals of the towing vehicle when the tow vehicle turn signals are illuminated.
(8) Despite subsection (5), a tow car may be equipped with supplementary turn signal lamps mounted within the maximum allowable vehicle height (4.15 m) and as far forward as the rear of the cab.
(9) The centre of the front signal lamps must be at least 10 cm from the edge of the low beam headlamps
[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2; am. B.C. Reg. 135/2003, s.1.]
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Surprised you got an answer. Most people in BC, especially Kelowna, have no idea what your talking about, turn indicator?? :ohmygod:
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I hate those new clear ones you can hardly see them.Especially in bright sun.
Peace be with you.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

It comes as an option on most car. And it looks like the more expensive the car is, the lesser flasher they have.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

rookie314 wrote:Surprised you got an answer. Most people in BC, especially Kelowna, have no idea what your talking about, turn indicator?? :ohmygod:

Hehe. :dyinglaughing:

The reason I was looking is because I am helping a friend with modifications. We have swapped the mirror indicators with cold white LED's as opposed to warm white bulbs, and the rear bulbs with chrome amber (they appear white when unlit). We had also replaced the front signals with white LED's as opposed to amber and wanted to be sure it was legal.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”