Kelowna inventor to face Dragons

GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

by Contributed - Story: 87139
Feb 9, 2013 / 7:35 am

Appearing on the popular television show Dragon’s Den, local inventor and entrepreneur Joe McDonald is hoping to score against the tough panel of potential investors.

Photo: Contributed
“One of the first of my 50 plus inventions i called My SmartShower,” says McDonald. “It is with great excitement to reveal our baby, shall we say and, hope Canadians appreciate the thoughtfulness and innovation of my invention.”

Facing the Dragons, McDonald admitted that the original idea did arise from enjoying the time in his shower with his wife, who appears with him on the show.

While the origins of the ‘My SmartShower’ may at first seem risqué, it’s practical and efficiency uses bring the upstart entrepreneur to the attention of the harsh panel.

To completely understand the system, it is important to note that the My SmartShower system is not a system for new home builders.

“My SmartShower is a retrofit modular shower system that uses energy efficient low-flow showerheads that greatly reduce water and energy consumption which supports our community’s efforts towards building a sustainable future,” McDonald added.

Taking into account both the adaptability of the system, and its environmental efficiency, McDonald hopes that the general public and the Dragons can see the benefit of the My SmartShower and bring it to the populous.

My SmartShower can be seen on Dragon’s Den this Sunday at 8PM.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#87139

People like this, put Kelowna in the international spotlight. Way to go! Keep up the great work! Thanks Joe!
bipdl
Board Meister

Re: Kelowna inventor to face Dragons

Post by bipdl »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:People like this, put Kelowna in the international spotlight. Way to go! Keep up the great work! Thanks Joe!

International spotlight eh? Then we'd better hope these Dragons (who, in typical Canadian fashion, never take any real risk), don't let their goon clown, O'Leary, totally humiliate Joe and his wife. That would be embarrassing for Kelowna, you know, on an international level.

I tend to think Dragon's Den as a way into business is, at best, a Hail Mary attempt. Anyone here know what their success rate is?

Some people will do anything to get on TV (I'm referring to the "Dragons")!
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Dragon's Den is a CBC show so it's only national. Plus, Kelowna has about 1% of the country's population so it only makes statistical sense that sooner or later there be representation. I don't know what the actual rate of success is but I do know that only a small percentage of the deals that are "taken" by the Dragons (or Sharks in the ABC version) are ever actually funded. Most fall apart during the DD process. As for the shower... isn't this just a low flow showerhead like the ones you've been able to buy for decades or am I missing something?
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Even if you don't make a deal with the dragons, the exposure is overwhelming!! If there is a product we like when we see it on the show, we google search it, as 10's of thousands of others. The best free advertising you could ever ask for!
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Guess you will have to watch the show to find out eh Spocky?
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Its a crap shoot goin on Dragons Den the exposure is awesome but if you crash and burn. :waaaaaaa:
Peace be with you.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Steve-O wrote:Guess you will have to watch the show to find out eh Spocky?

OK, I didn't watch it as it was past my bedtime... :spinball:

So what was the big deal about the "reinvented lowflow showerhead" and did any of the Dragons fall for it?
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Peace be with you.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Personally, I think the idea is rediculous!
If you want 2 shower heads in the tub, do it cleanly by running seperate water lines and fixtures on the other wall and it will look nice forever. Yes it will take more then 5 minutes, but it will be much nicer.
Im out!
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

I can see that with some refinement of design that it could be a good product. The product as displayed looks a bit 'Micky Mouse' but if it was made to look chromed with better fittings it would be quite nice. Of course for more money it could be made out of chromed metal.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Personally, I think the idea is rediculous!
If you want 2 shower heads in the tub, do it cleanly by running seperate water lines and fixtures on the other wall and it will look nice forever. Yes it will take more then 5 minutes, but it will be much nicer.
Im out!

they would have done better to in-cooperate it in a shower rod .i argree with kevin its ugly. You'd have to tear out the walls for an expensive reno to do it right.they almost crashed and burnt ,lucky for them bruce stepped up.
Peace be with you.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

kibbs wrote:gotta watch it lol
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2333867460/

Thanks for the link!

It's actually a bit better than I had feared. But I'll bet that it can pretty easily be put together from off the shelf parts at Home Depot probably for less than he'd be retailing it for.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Spocky wrote:Dragon's Den is a CBC show so it's only national. Plus, Kelowna has about 1% of the country's population so it only makes statistical sense that sooner or later there be representation. I don't know what the actual rate of success is but I do know that only a small percentage of the deals that are "taken" by the Dragons (or Sharks in the ABC version) are ever actually funded. Most fall apart during the DD process. As for the shower... isn't this just a low flow showerhead like the ones you've been able to buy for decades or am I missing something?

While I agree with your main points, I think your math is off. Kelowna has a population of roughly 120,000 and Canada has a population of about 33.5 million. Kelowna has about one third of one percent of the population.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

Catri wrote:While I agree with your main points, I think your math is off. Kelowna has a population of roughly 120,000 and Canada has a population of about 33.5 million. Kelowna has about one third of one percent of the population.

You're absolutely right. I should have said "The Okanagan" instead of Kelowna.
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Post by kelowna_proud »

Me and my dad discussed it. If maybe Delta or Moen picked it up and the of course made it in Brushed Aluminum and Chrome and instead of the 90" angles nice curves like a show curtain it would be pretty cool for a budget minded bathroom.

It will need a hand-valve for each accessory because showers down have that kind of pressure. Also a suction cup on the back wall of the tub to support it. $199,00 or lower too.

Return to “Central Okanagan”