Gov't increases humanitarian religious group funding by 42%

coffeeFreak
Guru

Gov't increases humanitarian religious group funding by 42%

Post by coffeeFreak »

It is hard to believe that the government could approve funding any religious organization for humanitarian work, but according to the second quoted article it has increased by 42% since 2005...I`m sorry, but regardless of the religion, they will proselytize, as it is their duty to their god to do so.

Crossroads Christian Communications, Anti-Gay Religious Group, Gets Funding From Government To Work In Africa
CP | By Lina Dib and Fannie Olivier, The Canadian Press
Posted: 02/10/2013 1:44 pm EST | Updated: 02/11/2013 8:27 am EST

OTTAWA - An evangelical organization that describes homosexuality as a "perversion" and a "sin" is receiving funding from the Government of Canada for its work in Uganda, where gays and lesbians face severe threats.

The federal government has denounced virulent homophobia in that East African country and Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird has condemned plans for an anti-gay bill that could potentially include the death penalty for homosexuals.

At the same time the government is providing $544,813 in funding for Crossroads Christian Communications — an Ontario-based evangelical group that produces television programming — to help dig wells, build latrines and promote hygiene awareness in Uganda through 2014.

Until Tuesday, the organization's website carried a list of "sexual sins" deemed to be "perversion": "Turning from the true and/or proper purpose of sexual intercourse; misusing or abusing it, such as in pedophilia, homosexuality and lesbianism, sadism, masochism, transvestism, and bestiality."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/02/10/crossroads-christian-communications_n_2658076.html

Ottawa to review its funding of anti-gay religious group working in Uganda
Canadian Press | Feb 11, 2013 9:43 AM ET | Last Updated: Feb 11, 2013 10:18 AM ET

OTTAWA — Shortly after it became public knowledge an evangelical organization that describes homosexuality as a “perversion” and a “sin” was receiving funding from the Government of Canada for its work in Uganda, Julian Fantino announced on Twitter the funding was under review....

!!This SHOULD NOT be acceptable!! --- ...A study by the Canadian Research Institute on Humanitarian Crisis and Aid concluded that, between 2005 and 2010, the funding for religious non-government organizations increased 42 per cent. Secular groups saw an increase of five per cent.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has been asked about that disparity. “We consider the efficiency of projects,” Harper replied during a Montreal news conference last month. “(We) do not consider the religion of groups promoting these projects.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/11/canada-to-review-its-funding-of-anti-gay-religious-group-for-work-in-uganda/
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Govt increases humanitarian religious group funding by 4

Post by Glacier »

coffeeFreak wrote:It is hard to believe that the government could approve funding any religious organization for humanitarian work, but according to the second quoted article it has increased by 42% since 2005...I`m sorry, but regardless of the religion, they will proselytize, as it is their duty to their god to do so.

Maybe the religious ones are provide more bang for the buck with less money being scooped by the guys at the top. If so then good on them if they really have to give out funds. That said, the only way to truly divide the funds equitably is for the government to stop giving money all together, and let Canadians vote with their own charitable donations as to which organizations are most deserving of funds.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

So let me understand this correctly...

As long as the Neo-Nazi Collective of Europe can efficiently build wells in poor villages in Africa 2% cheaper than The Red Cross - the Canadian government will continue to fund the Neo-Nazi well-builders.

After all - only money matters. What the charity group's stand for and believe in is of little concern to Canadians.

Maybe those "God Hates *bleep*" guys do great school-building jobs?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It sure didn't take long for Godwin's Law kick in. The last time I checked hate speech and an Nazism are illegal. I'm pretty sure that a group like "God Hates *bleep*" would not be a very efficient method of delivering humanitarian work because they'd spend too much of their resources preaching "God Hates *bleep*."

Also, just because an organization is religious, it doesn't mean they are preaching. I know someone who is going to North Korea this year with a Christian humanitarian organization. I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be preaching, that is if they want to make it out alive.
Last edited by Glacier on Feb 13th, 2013, 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*off-topic/Jo*
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

The group says people that crossdress are going to hell and spanking your girlfriend is a mortal sin. Homosexuality is a abomination, ect ect

How is that any different from the ethnic policies of the current neo-nazi parties that are out there?

Hate speech is illegal, but being a Nazi isn't. Neither is being ignorant and a bigot. They can state their beliefs, they just cant promote them. Just like these clowns saying spanking is a sin and saying a large portion of the Canadian population are immoral.

So leaving "nazi's" out of it - should we be dealing with such exclusionary and ignorant groups?

What groups stand for "doesn't matter"? Canada gives money to any charity as long as they are efficient?

Can we put this to the test? Communists? Church of the Universe (weed smoking Christians)? Ect ect ect?
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

*off-topic/Jo*
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*off-topic/Jo*
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

*off-topic/Jo*
- Douglas Murray
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Four out of nine posts had to be removed. Make sure you correct your posting style before trying again.

Return to “Canada”