MTF is closing down

shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

MTF is closing down

Post by shoo »

Got an email today that the west Kelowna mtf is closing and they are having a sale to get rid of stock. The Kelowna one is staying open.
melscarandtruckrental
Fledgling

Re: Mtf is closing down

Post by melscarandtruckrental »

Another WEST KELOWNA store going down. Keep shopping at the big store and online to save a buck or two people and there wont be a small store left here.
Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than open it and confirm it !!!
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

melscarandtruckrental wrote:Keep shopping at the big store and online to save a buck or two people and there wont be a small store left here.

There wont be a small store left.
People allow box stores to ruin local economies.
People allow box stores into their communities.
People suck.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

I've been a Chicken Little about WK retail, but folks, the SKY IS REALLY FALLING! :skyisfalling:

This isn't just a retail slowdown, this is a train wreck.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

But what did they sell that enticed people to shop there? Some food stuffs that weren't that cheap a mixed selection of other stuff that was nothing special and not any cheaper than Walmart or Canadian Tire. If you are going to stay ahead of the competition then the product either has to be top quality stuff that is difficult to find elsewhere or dirt cheap and undercuts your rivals.

Also i don't think that their location helped, they are tucked out of the way and get no passing traffic except on the highway but by the time you may see the store you've passed the turnoff.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

That's a shame. I shopped there quite a bit.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

What is mtf?
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

French Castanut wrote:What is mtf?

A discount store that carries a lot of leftovers...food and otherwise.
I rarely bought food there as it was often just past expiration or so close it would be past by the time I got home.
I did on occasion see good deals on slightly damaged products.
I mostly browsed.
travelingman

Post by travelingman »

melscarandtruckrental wrote:Another WEST KELOWNA store going down. Keep shopping at the big store and online to save a buck or two people and there wont be a small store left here.

That is a fluffy and feel good thing to say but the reality of todays financial climate is that people are going to shop where they can get the best price. There is only a limited amount of money people have to spend and if you can make your money spread a little further by getting the best price people will do it. We are being asked to pay more for everything from taxes to fuel to groceries yet I don't know of too many people I know who have had any big raises the last few years. Just a case in point, I shopped locally for an item and then went on line to see what prices were like elsewhere and I was able to order the exact same product out of New York including duty,Fed Ex and taxes and still save $85.00. That buys my wife and me a nice dinner or the kids some new shoes or something. Another issue with some of the Westbank stores is their stock. When I go to a major Tire and Auto store looking for the most common stuff for a car and they don't have yet they have shelves upon shelves of pots, pans, toasters, flowers and other crap I don't even bother going back. Prices, service and availability are important to todays consumer and there are now methods available to get the stuff you need at the best price possible. Its called the free market. (why are books still selling as much as $10-$15 more in Canada vs the states? )
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

You're not actually saving money.
It's an illusion.

Watch:
Walmart: The High Cost Of Low Prices

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

People who post one-hour, 37-minute YouTube videos should be required to provide the Coles Notes version.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Nebula wrote:People who post one-hour, 37-minute YouTube videos should be required to provide the Coles Notes version.

But to make the point, even the coles notes version would be too long.

Essentially the cost goes far beyond what comes from your pocket.
It kills small business which in turn kills community and kills small business.
In the end we are paying more, as the environmental impacts coupled with the societal impacts we are having in far off lands does not equate to a good deal.
Over time we pay more money to repair the damages of the quick fix.
vancity604
Fledgling

Post by vancity604 »

You would think the biggest discounts could be found at dollar stores; it's right there in the name. If it's a dollar it must be cheap, and if it's a dollar it must be a discount.

But a discount is more than just the cost of an item -- it's the amount that item is discounted versus the competition.

A true discount retailer will make less money on each item it sells than its competitors. And this is where dollar stores start to look a lot more expensive than competitors.

For example, for every dollar it sells, Dollar Tree makes $0.35 in profit and $0.067 in net income for owners. At Walmart (WMT), just $0.24 of each sale is profit and only $0.035 ends up in the owner's pocket. So who is the best discounter?
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

I haven't been in a Walmart for ages, and I'm still ALIVE. So does my wallet.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Never saw the allure of MTF... a bunch of crap for cheap... much like I don't see the allure for dollar stores...

Sure, art supplies for school projects.... cheap crap when you want cheap crap....

I think I went to that MTF once in the last 5 years... not gonna miss them sad to say :(
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.

Return to “Central Okanagan”