MTF is closing down

KingCreole
Board Meister

Re: Mtf is closing down

Post by KingCreole »

I liked shopping there. A lot of their stuff is from Costco liquidations...and if you hit them during their extra 20-30-40-50% off promotions, you could score some really great deals.

That said, I became disenchanted with the owner of that particular store and stopped shopping there. I didn't realize they were in trouble, as that store has been there for quite some time.

It really is a shame, though.
melscarandtruckrental
Fledgling

Post by melscarandtruckrental »

People allow big box stores? When was the last time council listened to what people wanted? The big box store mentioned earlier in this forum has been trying to open in Salmon Arm for years but their council understands what it would do to the dowtown area and wont let them in. Even the Indian band there will not rent the land to them.
Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than open it and confirm it !!!
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

melscarandtruckrental wrote:People allow big box stores? When was the last time council listened to what people wanted? The big box store mentioned earlier in this forum has been trying to open in Salmon Arm for years but their council understands what it would do to the dowtown area and wont let them in. Even the Indian band there will not rent the land to them.

Am I correct, or wasn't there a news story a few months back that the Walmart in Slammin' Arm had gone to tenders?
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
travelingman

Post by travelingman »

Graham Adder wrote:You're not actually saving money.
It's an illusion.

I will take a real $85 illusion any day of the week. I can't pay my mortgage,taxes,fuel, groceries with the "feel good illusion"
melscarandtruckrental
Fledgling

And what will happen to your illusion when u have to wait 2 weeks to get a roll of tape or an sd card for your computer you bought online because there are no more stores in west kelowna for you to buy them at. SUPPORT BUSINESS WHERE U LIVE. I wonder how u will feel when your taxes start to go up to support all the people here that get thrown out of work because everybody paid less online
Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than open it and confirm it !!!
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

West Kelowna has way to many stores for the 26k population ! That's why they are closing and will continue to close.
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.
travelingman

Post by travelingman »

melscarandtruckrental wrote:And what will happen to your illusion when u have to wait 2 weeks to get a roll of tape or an sd card for your computer you bought online because there are no more stores in west kelowna for you to buy them at. SUPPORT BUSINESS WHERE U LIVE. I wonder how u will feel when your taxes start to go up to support all the people here that get thrown out of work because everybody paid less online

I do support local business when they offer a product and service at a reasonable price even if it is a little higher or the service is better but I do check prices. ( I do business with long established local companies to supply services and supplies to my business in the area of $20,000 - $30,000 per month so don't tell me I don't support local business) What I will not do is be robbed blind by a business that figures they can charge 100% more just for the convenience factor of being in Westbank or whatever idea they have to make their service or product cost outrageously more. I am not going to have a pity party for a business that did not do its due diligence to find that the market cannot support it because there are already to many places to shop. I will not pay double to keep their illusion of uninformed consumers.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

ixler8 wrote:West Kelowna has way to many stores for the 26k population ! That's why they are closing and will continue to close.

^ This.

West Kelowna is not a city in itself, more of a town... I'd be interested in how many live in West Kelowna and work in Kelowna, I bet it's a significant percentage.

West Kelowna needs 'necessary' stores, grocery, hardware, etc... but beyond that, a 'trip to town' once in a while to Kelowna isn't more than a 20 minute drive...

Remember the good old days of 'going into town'? Now we demand everything right here within 10 minutes... I think we demand more than the local economy can support.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
melscarandtruckrental
Fledgling

Never mind the business they all close where do people work. Your kids and mine Do we tell them they have to leave town to work or do we just keep them home out of work and prospects.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

GoStumpy wrote:West Kelowna is not a city in itself, more of a town... I'd be interested in how many live in West Kelowna and work in Kelowna, I bet it's a significant percentage.

Now that is a great idea for a castanet poll!

I do the daily commute to Kelowna Monday to Friday and on weekends we do a trip or two "into town". In the grand scheme of things it is not all that bad, except when there are accidents or on long weekend traffic. However, my wife commutes on foot and it takes her all of 7 minutes to get to her office, but that just isn't a reality for most people. We live on the Westside only because 10 years ago when we bought our home it was the best bang for our buck. It is great to have more choices of where we can shop, especially compared to 10 years ago, but it has been over built past the point of being sustainable in these economic times. It is unfortunate, I just hope it does not become a retail ghost town!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: MTF is closing down

Post by gardengirl »

My husband and I both commute to Kelowna to work, but do 90% or more of our shopping in Westbank.
Other than the occasional trip to Costco, we find everything we need on this side of the bridge.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

melscarandtruckrental wrote:Never mind the business they all close where do people work. Your kids and mine Do we tell them they have to leave town to work or do we just keep them home out of work and prospects.

But what do we actually have here except low paid retail jobs anyways. Most that can do indeed leave town looking for better paid employment or furthering their career in another province or country. I would rather my kids left town for a decent career then stay here and work in a box store stacking shelves.

As for working in Kelowna i would assume by the traffic at rush hour that a huge portion of West Kelowna residents work over the bridge and as someone else said its no great hassle to drive over the bridge for some items that aren't available here.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Whats next? any guesses!!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Can someone explain to me whyso many WK residents who post on Castanet are so concerned about dollar stores, MTF, Walmart, etc. Is this an indicator of the social and economic status of most residents? Gosh ... not judging, it just seems odd that so many are reacting to low end businesses shutting down. There must be something positive happening in WK - is there not?????
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Can't think of anything. The businesses that shut down means people spend their money in Kelowna instead of West Kelowna.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”