Mounties Accused of Rape

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Mounties Accused of Rape

Post by Treblehook »

I think this is pretty unreasonable reporting and sensationalism, of the like we have become accustomed to being fed by the media in this country. The headline and the story relate to completely unsubstantiated accusations, gathered by a New York based Human Rights group! Once again our media has seized upon an "opportunity" to vilafy the police, despite the fact that not one shred of evidence is provided to support the accusations. There is very little recognition of the fact these are unsubstatiated accusations in this fairly lengthy, headline grabbing article. Seems our Canadian media feels no obligation to be socially, ethically or morally responsible for what they say these days. And before I am accused of being just a cop supporter, let me state that it is not the police [RCMP] I am supporting here; rather, it is the nature of the media report that I am condemning. IMHO, the moral, ethical and socially responsible reporting would have consisted of an item stating that an [as yet] unsubstantiated accusation has been made.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Mounties Accused of Rape

Post by cutter7 »

here is the link so people can read the report for themselves.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/rcmp-calls ... -1.1154727
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

here we go again
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Speaking of sensationalism, I noted that Bob Rae, the peoples champion, said that the Conservatives have done nothing about the 'hundreds' of women who have gone missing. I think the RCMP has a number in the 20's and aboriginal leaders say it's actually 43. Hundreds Bob? What a goof.
Winston_Smith
Fledgling

Post by Winston_Smith »

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Stephen Harper is calling on the group Human Rights Watch to share information with police about allegations of abuse by RCMP officers against aboriginal women in British Columbia.

Harper also announced that the government has asked the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP to look into the allegations raised in the report released Wednesday by the respected New York-based rights watchdog.

The report accuses RCMP officers of abusing aboriginal women and girls in northern B.C., including one allegation of rape.

The alleged incidents were uncovered as part of a broader investigation into charges of systemic neglect of missing and murdered aboriginal women along B.C.'s Highway 16, nicknamed the "Highway of Tears."

The RCMP wants to get to the bottom of abuse allegations against its officers, but Human Rights Watch isn't helping police to investigate, RCMP Chief Supt. Janice Armstrong said in a statement.

None of the complainants have come forward since the organization approached the Mounties about the allegations five months ago, so police haven't been able to investigate further, she said.

"These allegations must be brought forward for proper investigation," Armstrong said, noting that the force takes the allegations very seriously.

"Unfortunately, five months later and none of these allegations have been brought forward for investigation. It is impossible to deal with such public and serious complaints when we have no method to determine who the victims or the accused are."

[Bob] Rae called for the criminal allegations to be referred to an outside police force because the RCMP should not be expected to investigate allegations of criminal conduct by its own members.

"If an allegation is made against the Ottawa police force, it's not the Ottawa police force that investigates that allegation. It's investigated by another police force," said Rae.

"The problem is that clearly there's been a breakdown of confidence with respect to people coming forward in those situations that have been described by Human Rights Watch."

Researchers spent five weeks in 10 northern B.C. towns last summer and conducted 87 interviews with 42 indigenous women and eight indigenous girls from age 15 to 60.

The most serious allegation involved a woman who told researchers that she was raped and threatened with death by four RCMP officers after she was abused in a remote location.

Other allegations include: young girls being pepper sprayed and shocked with a Taser; a 12-year-old girl being attacked by a police dog; a 17-year-old girl being repeatedly punched by an officer; women strip-searched by male officers; and women injured by excessive force during their arrests.

"In five of the 10 towns Human Rights Watch visited in the north, we heard allegations of rape or sexual assault by police officers," the report states.

"Human Rights Watch was struck by the level of fear on the part of women we met to talk about sexual abuse inflicted by police officers."

Rhoad said about a dozen young women cancelled interviews with researchers because they were too scared of repercussions from police officers working in their small communities.

The report contains a number of testimonials from women whose identities have all been protected.

The most serious is from a homeless woman identified as Gabriella P., who described being raped by four Mounties. She told researchers she knew the names of the officers, but refused to provide them.

"I feel so dirty," a tearful Gabriella is quoted as saying in the report. "They threatened that if I told anybody they would take me out to the mountains and kill me and make it look like an accident."

Webb said it has been difficult to bring the allegations to light because the girls themselves don't believe in the justice system.

http://www.chbcnews.ca/just+do+it+victims+of+abuse+by+police+should+make+a+report+harper+says/6442808142/story.html
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

From Castanet's article:
On Tuesday, Interim Liberal leader Bob Rae urged Prime Minister Stephen Harper to call a royal commission or parliamentary inquiry in the broader issue.

"We know that along the highway that has unfortunately now been called the Highway of Tears, there are hundreds of women who have gone missing," said Rae.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

j watson wrote:Speaking of sensationalism, I noted that Bob Rae, the peoples champion, said that the Conservatives have done nothing about the 'hundreds' of women who have gone missing. I think the RCMP has a number in the 20's and aboriginal leaders say it's actually 43. Hundreds Bob? What a goof.

Boob Rae is an idiot. Leftist sensationalism again.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

If they don't want to hand over the information I say bring on the public inquiry. And soon.

Let separate those with legitimate complaints from the white-cop-hating liars.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

KL3-Something wrote:If they don't want to hand over the information I say bring on the public inquiry. And soon.

I don't know if I would go so far as to phrase it that way. However, if one has been observing these kinds of issues over the past few years, ie: complaints of abuse of aboriginal peoples; enquiries and eventual financial compensation, it is difficult to discount the reality that there have been more than a few individuals who have simply "jumped on the bandwagon", with the hope of cashing in on the final compensation package. If my memory serves me correctly, this was seen as a significant possibility in many jurisdictions across the country, and as a consequence, considerable scrutiny was applied to all complaints of abuse in residential schools. Of course I am not saying that all of the complaints were/are either bogus fabrications or exagerations, rather recognizing the distinct possibilty that such could be the case now, as it was then. The New York Human Rights people who went to northern BC to conduct their investigation, most certainly were looking for information to substantiate the notion that there had been human rights violations, and by their own comments following their activities, they confirmed that they had difficulty getting possible "victims" to divulge any information to them. If it were suggested by any of the NY team that persons who had been subjected to abuses might very well be financially compensated, the possibility of false complaints would certainly be increased. At this stage of the game, nobody is in any position to declare any of the complaints either valid or invalid. I guess I am still struggling with the way this story has been put out there... no investigation has been conducted and not a single fact or statement tested as to it's veracity, yet one is left with the distinct impression that there is every reason to believe the accusations are true; up to and including the complaint of rape and death threats by police officers serving these remote communities. That is serious stuff and ought to be handled in a much more responsible manner than has occurred to this point. Maybe advising the senior command of the RCMP in BC about the accusations of very serious crimes against persons by RCMP members would have been more appropriate than commencing a trial in the media?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

KL3-Something wrote:If they don't want to hand over the information I say bring on the public inquiry. And soon. .

I agree. No complainants, no victims, no witnesses – let’s spend massive amounts of money on public inquires where no one with relevant knowledge is ready to step up and testify.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/02/14/rcmp- ... abuse-case

more charges against an rcmp officer involving children... seems they have proof on this one.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

KL3-Something wrote:If they don't want to hand over the information I say bring on the public inquiry. And soon.

You think its a racist issue? complaints of this nature came from 5 out of ten communities visited.

That suggests a pretty deep division between our public servants and the people they represent.. and also a pretty big problem in itself
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

"You think its a racist issue? complaints of this nature came from 5 out of ten communities visited.

That suggests a pretty deep division between our public servants and the people they represent.. and also a pretty big problem in itself"

I don't know if it is true that the complaints come from 5 out of 10 communities visited or not, however none of the complaints have been investigated and substantiated, so they really don't mean anything yet do they. Were it otherwise, God forbid that anyone should be falsely accused of anything. Right thinking people [in this country] adhere to the notion of "innocent until proven guilty", a very simple, but valued, concept.
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

complaints from the white-cop-hating liars

I think the fact, that someone who claims to be an RCMP officer Makes a statement like that on an open public forum.

Says a lot in itself.

And it's not good
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

diggerdick wrote:complaints from the white-cop-hating liars

I think the fact, that someone who claims to be an RCMP officer Makes a statement like that on an open public forum.

Says a lot in itself.

And it's not good

Yes. It does say a lot. It says that I've been there. Not behind some computer screen 1000km away forming my opinions based on conjecture. But on the ground, working in those same communities that these people went to and spoke to people from. I've been called derogatory names by people who are just as racist as any person of any other ethnic background can be because I was doing my job. I've been accused of being nothing but a "racist white cop picking on me because I'm Native" when, in reality, the community I was working in was 95% Native. Chances were that 95% of the time the person I was taking to jail would be Native. I've had very serious allegations leveled against me by people that I dealt with that were completely baseless. Then, when shown that the allegation was a completely false fabrication, saw absolutely no repercussions for the accuser.

I am not at all saying the some of the allegations in this report will not be found to have merit. That would be naive. Nor am I saying that the statement you chose to quote sums up the overall attitude of the various communities as a whole. Because it isn't. But having been there and done that, I will stand by my statement that there will be allegations that will be found to be completely false and fueled by nothing more than hatred.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

Return to “B.C.”