Canadian Found Dead, Tied to Tree in Mexico

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Canadian Found Dead, Tied to Tree in Mexico

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Perhaps a little less focus on sensational journalism and a little more focus on putting things in perspective.

Apparantly you should be just as afraid to go to australia based on murder rates of Canadians....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... stics.html
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Actually - you would be safer to spend your time in Mexico than many cities in Canada....
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... -2011.html

Homicide rates per 100,000
Winnipeg, 5.08
Halifax, 4.41
Edmonton, 4.17
Thunder Bay, 3.33
Regina, 3.15
Saint John, 2.90
Peterborough, 2.44
Saskatoon, 2.16
St. John's, 2.12
London, 1.80

Mexico .268 (China, Jamaica, Dominican and Australia are all "more dangerous" statistically for Canadians than Mexico)
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

I just did a little more searching and the intentional homicide rates I found for 2011 were (per 100,000) Mexico 22.7 and Canada at 1.6. These were found at wikipedia and a few other stat. sites.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

I don't know....are those Canadians killed...or does that include the drug cartel wars?? Drug people kill drug people....and you would not believe how many young people get involved....same as here because they are drawn to the money, fast cars and lifestyle they think they will have. There the cartels are much larger and stronger than here at this point. Mind you, you don't know your neighbors...and you never know who is involved...can be anyone from kids to lawyers and politicians, to name a few. You all know how the "gang"/cartel violence has escalated here......and it will get worse before it ever gets better.
Mexico, for the people that keep their noses clean and know who they are associating with, are as safe/safer than here. IMO The every day, nonsensical violence that we have in Canada they do not, generally, have there except maybe in the huge centres. Also keep in mind that the number of people moving out of Canada is more now than ever....and the "powers that be" don't want that happening, so will say/do anything to try to stop it, hence the sensationalism.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

juz516 wrote:I don't know....are those Canadians killed...or does that include the drug cartel wars?? Drug people kill drug people....and you would not believe how many young people get involved....same as here because they are drawn to the money, fast cars and lifestyle they think they will have. There the cartels are much larger and stronger than here at this point. Mind you, you don't know your neighbors...and you never know who is involved...can be anyone from kids to lawyers and politicians, to name a few. You all know how the "gang"/cartel violence has escalated here......and it will get worse before it ever gets better.
Mexico, for the people that keep their noses clean and know who they are associating with, are as safe/safer than here. IMO The every day, nonsensical violence that we have in Canada they do not, generally, have there except maybe in the huge centres. Also keep in mind that the number of people moving out of Canada is more now than ever....and the "powers that be" don't want that happening, so will say/do anything to try to stop it, hence the sensationalism.

I was not aware of any exodus out of Canada and don't know of anyone that's moved to Mexico, only the many that vacation there. Most of the vacationers I know only pick Mexico because of the geat deals(all inclusives) compared to other destinations. Several regulars I know do not even venture out of their resort while there. That type of vacation just does not appeal to me personally although many people love going there. Just my opinion.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

I was not aware of any exodus out of Canada and don't know of anyone that's moved to Mexico, only the many that vacation there. Most of the vacationers I know only pick Mexico because of the geat deals(all inclusives) compared to other destinations. Several regulars I know do not even venture out of their resort while there. That type of vacation just does not appeal to me personally although many people love going there. Just my opinion.

There are more Canadians living all over the world now than there ever has been. Mexico is full of them, as well as the US and many other countries. Then there are the "snowbirds" that leave for the winters. Yes, one can get some good deals to travel to Mexico, but there are many other places that there are good deals on as well. Why Mexico if they are afraid to be there or leave their resort?? Not my idea of a good vacation, either. But then, even when we lived there 5 years ago, people were warned not to eat from stands on the streets, not to venture out to the countryside....all by the hotels trying to keep their clients there to spend their money. It is as safe or safer than here. Ask Nibs if he is afraid being there....or ask any number of people that live there full time.
But...you didn't answer my question....were the stats on Mexico including/not including the drug cartel killings? I suspect they included those....so a little unfair, don't you think? All the fear mongering is unfair.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

The stats I found did not specify who was killed but murder is murder is it not? Whether it's cartel members, police chiefs, politicians,tourists, or people caught in the crossfire, they all should be counted IMO. Just makes it less appealing to me.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Of course it does, and I understand that...I guess it is different for those that actually live/have lived there and know the reality versus what the media portrays and it bothers me when they say tourists are targeted. Of course, it is possible...anything is possible....but compared to the daily crime here, the chances of getting attacked/robbed/killed there is no different than here. The difference is when there are drug cartel killings, they take out many people.....likened to the crash of a jet plane as opposed to a car accident.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

wolfen_one wrote:The stats I found did not specify who was killed but murder is murder is it not? Whether it's cartel members, police chiefs, politicians,tourists, or people caught in the crossfire, they all should be counted IMO. Just makes it less appealing to me.

The stats did specify.

Of the total drug-related violence 4% are innocent people,[266] mostly by-passers and people trapped in between shootings; 90% accounts for criminals and 6% for military personnel and police officers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico#Crime

That would make it .9 per 100,000 innocent people and even less of that .9 would be Canadian.

You should be more afraid of driving through winnipeg than Mexico.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Glad to see someone gets it.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

I just stated that Mexico does not appeal to ME. Winnipeg is not high on my "must visit" list either. LOL

I know many that love Mexico and I'm not questioning their choice....just mine.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
The stats did specify.

Of the total drug-related violence 4% are innocent people,[266] mostly by-passers and people trapped in between shootings; 90% accounts for criminals and 6% for military personnel and police officers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico#Crime

That would make it .9 per 100,000 innocent people and even less of that .9 would be Canadian.

You should be more afraid of driving through winnipeg than Mexico.

Just re-reading this and these are only drug related that you are referring to. What about others(robbery,rape,kidnapping,fights etc.). I'm just curious and not trying to argue the point.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Just re-reading this and these are only drug related that you are referring to. What about others(robbery,rape,kidnapping,fights etc.). I'm just curious and not trying to argue the point.

In all honesty, there really isn't very much of that....or at least there wasn't unless it has changed in the past year...which I am sure my friends there would have talked about if that were the case because they are mostly women. That's what I meant when I said there is really, for the populations, very little of the daily crime and nonsensical murder that happens here. We lived there for 9 years and were never robbed, felt totally safe and secure, rode my horses out and about with no qualms....had fantastic neighbors that watched out for each other (all Mexican/spanish speaking)...very different, in a good way, than here. We moved back here and were broken in to and robbed after the first 7 months....living in the country! lol so, yes, it is a matter of choice....but what you hear and/or read on the news is, sometimes, with a bit of a spin on it or not the whole story.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Thanks for the info. What part of Mexico were you living in?
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Mazatlan, in the state of Sinaloa....one of the biggest drug states in Mexico. lol 9 of the best years of my life....and hopefully going back soon! lol

Return to “Social Concerns”