Over the air TV

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
mjdemp

Over the air TV

Post by mjdemp »

can anyone get "over the air" tv now? was told ch. 24 & 27 would work with antenna but all i can get is knowledge on 34
Taranis1964

Re: over the air tv

Post by Taranis1964 »

Both over the air signals were converted to HD back in the fall. If you are watching on an older TV you may require a digital converter box or an HD antenna in order to pick up the signal.

More here: http://www.chbcnews.ca/what+channel+is+ ... story.html

Cheers.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Over the air HDTV can be received in some areas, but while receiving the signal is free, a special antenna and receiver are required.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Post by good-cause-girl »

Being rather cheap by nature, we do not subscribe to cable TV. We have an older
TV, no antena, no boxes and we get all the local channels clear and all the way up to 25 with
a small amount of fuzz of picture but the voices are crystal clear.
We do have internet so maybe that is having an effect but it is
a desk model computer, not wireless, also old, so maybe maybe not.

The quality does suffer some, but really, if you have a smaller TV it isn't all that noticeable.

Just putting out there that it is worth looking at if you just want the basics. I like
having Discovery Channel for free as well as MM, local TV and CNN.

Free TV is still out there.
We are in Rutland, if that matters.
mjdemp

Post by mjdemp »

have tried old tv and new one with boosted antenna which we used to get channels on, and "paper clip" style. can still only get 34. ota canada shows AU for authorized only so i don't know what exactly that means to the ota folks
tvdude001

Post by tvdude001 »

Are you saying your able to receive discovery channel, mm and CNN with a tv antenna over the air in Rutland???? What's your setup? Are you using an HD antenna?
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

tvdude001 wrote:Are you saying your able to receive discovery channel, mm and CNN with a tv antenna over the air in Rutland???? What's your setup? Are you using an HD antenna?

I don't know of any over the air CNN, Discovery, etc. in BC. Can't understand how this is being viewed.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
tryscotty
Fledgling

Post by tryscotty »

I watch it all online, streamed to my HD 47. Not all but the shows I want. Every show is streamed by someone. I only pay for my high speed internet.
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

tryscotty wrote:I watch it all online, streamed to my HD 47. Not all but the shows I want. Every show is streamed by someone. I only pay for my high speed internet.

Yes, but good-cause-girl stated she got these channels over the air free and I don't know of any way she's doing that.
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
Lizard
Fledgling

Post by Lizard »

Could be a neighbor has a leaky cable.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

How much do we really know about this 'good-cause-girl?' Perhaps she's an alien from outer space and possesses some amazing powers that permit her to pull in Atlanta cable channels out in darkest Rutland.

Just something to consider.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

crookedmember wrote:How much do we really know about this 'good-cause-girl?' Perhaps she's an alien from outer space and possesses some amazing powers that permit her to pull in Atlanta cable channels out in darkest Rutland.

Just something to consider.

Yup, and her spacecraft was the one mistaken as a meteor in Russia this morning. The alien invasion has begun! They're coming to steal our TV signals! Fight for your lives... and programming! :dyinglaughing:

Actually, what she's saying is frankly impossible unless someone has set up a Rutland rebroadcasting antenna in which case the CRTC will be squashing them soon.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Post by good-cause-girl »

You guys are awsome. Actually, I just checked and I went as high as channel 28 which is TLC.

My TV is 14 years old. The only thing I can do is invite one of you over to see for yourselves.
The only electronics in the house is a 35 year old stereo and our 2 old computers with internet.

Not sure why, but yep, I have that much free TV. No external antena.

I have a house full of metal sculptures though, that might be why.

PM me if you want to stop by,,,,,,,, bring beer
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

good-cause-girl wrote:You guys are awsome. Actually, I just checked and I went as high as channel 28 which is TLC.

My TV is 14 years old. The only thing I can do is invite one of you over to see for yourselves.
The only electronics in the house is a 35 year old stereo and our 2 old computers with internet.

Not sure why, but yep, I have that much free TV. No external antena.

I have a house full of metal sculptures though, that might be why.

PM me if you want to stop by,,,,,,,, bring beer

6 pack of Blue! This one will make the history books for sure. :sunshine:
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

My brother used to work for a local Cable outfit years ago, ads said they spent a lot of time pulling common building nails out of the lines on the poles. Apparently a spike driven into the cable and left exposed would allow the cable signal to be picked up on rabbit ears in the immediate area, like the handful of houses right near the pole.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”