Driving distractions

Home of the traffic rant.
james-d
Banned

Driving distractions

Post by james-d »

Hi, I Drive into Kelowna from Lake country several times a week. I cannot believe the people I see talking on their cellphones, texting, young women putting a final touch up to the second coat of make-up, People trying to juggle tim hortons coffee cups (easy to see) , And one of the dumbest things I have ever seen,,People of all ages with dogs in their laps,while TRYING to drive.
I am willing to bet some of these people cannot walk and chew gum at the same time, Yet they are trying to drive. When you compare driving on the roads today with what it was like only 20 years ago,With the hoards of drivers on the roads today, In my opinion their are going to be so many accidents in the coming years that unless the laws are enforced the no 1 killer in Canada will become car accidents I don't believe for one second that if you see someone talking on a cellphone while driving and report it to the police, That anything would happen. They should have a small squad that drive our roads, And this would be their main focus.I don't know what this would cost and don't really care, Times are a changing , and unless these idiots are fined so hard, they will reconsider risking their lives and mine by doing something so stupid in the future. Give them a thousand dollar fine if caught, QUESS what, bet they don,t risk it again, Maybe double it for a second offense.If society wants this stopped and I'm sure they do,I think thats the way to solve the problem, Although you will still have the druggies and real bozos who will still do it, But I do believe it would help solve the issue.If any one feels that fines like this are too much, Well maybe you talk on your phone too much while driving.
WhatThe

Re: driving distractions

Post by WhatThe »

Do you find yourself having "close calls" because of this behaviour?
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

Not at all ,And if you knew how to drive ,you should know that you had better know whats going on around you at all times. Basic driving training.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Exactly.
So why do you come across as the typical whiners we have around here?
The "phone issue" will solve itself via private sector innovation (As if govt would ever be pro active) and I doubt any politician would tackle things like drinking coffee while driving... And rightly so.

The way they are doing it now is if the police observe one doing the things you've listed and ones ability to adhere to the rules is impeded ( such as changing lanes without signaling for example) they will issue a without due care and attention ticket. $368 and 6 points. As I reacall, 6 points is equivalent to $600 when its time to renew licence or insurance.
Theres your $1000.

Seems fair to me since its everyones's responsibility to be aware of whats going on around them.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I agree with you James. There should be more direct attention given to catching drivers using their phones. It is a serious issue in my mind and the penalties should be almost severe or as severe as driving drunk for repeat offenders. Are there not studies that show driving and using your phone is more dangerous than driving drunk? Young fella beside me at Gorden last night on the way home checks his phone at the lights, speeds off wandering all over as he continues to text (I can see his head bent down to the side as he didn't raise the phone - trying to hide I guess) has to brake hard at Ethel. Makes a phone call that continues until almost over the bridge at which point he starts to text again and almost side swipes another car as he rounded the bend at teh top of Brdige Hill. Throw the book at these offenders. Most peolpe don't get the message until it hits them where it hurts!
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

I couldn't agree with you more james-d, it is getting worse by the day!
People are absolutely sickening with their distracted driving habits, it's non-stop!
Sometimes I pass 4 or 5 vehicles in a row, weaving and driving like they aren't paying attention, and guess what, they aren't!
Any cops around to catch them before they injure or kill someone, NOPE!

Fines, it should be the same as impaired drivng, lose your license.
A human life is not worth anything anymore, it can be taken away in a split second by some Bozo on a cell phone!
How many lives taken from distracted driving? Lots, any more then Zero is not acceptable.
$1000 fine is not enough!
$10,000 and lose you license for a year automatic.
If your an "N" the same applies except lose it for 5 years.
If you have a baseball cap on backwards, lose it for 10 years!
Punks just make me sick.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Re: Driving distractions

Post by Takin it easy ! »

As I have pointed out in the past in these forums these idiots should face severe fines but should also be forced to take counseling for their "addiction" before being allowed to drive again !
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

I don't know about punks wearing their baseball caps backwards, seems to me young people will follow almost any dress fad no matter how stupid it makes them look. Weren't the brims on baseball caps designed to shade your eyes from da sun??? Maybe they could make them a little cheaper by taking the brim off. But then they would look just like the goofs wearing block heaters, oops, I meant to say touqes in the summer time.Now I know where the term hotheads comes from lol.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

lol every generation has their stupid fashion fads - no one is exempt.

They should also hand out O signs for display on one's vehicle, for "Old".
Your bias suits you.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Woodenhead wrote:lol every generation has their stupid fashion fads - no one is exempt.

They should also hand out O signs for display on one's vehicle, for "Old".
At what age do you suggest they hand out that display at ?
While we are at it they should also hand out an "I" display for immature or idiot warning drivers that the vehicle displaying this is likely to do any one of a number of stupid things while on the road :clueless:

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”