Geoff Mantler trial?

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Geoff Mantler trial?

Post by Fancy »

diggerdick wrote:What good would putting this person imprisoned due:dyinglaughing:

it would set precedent . losing your job and being embarrassed is not a punishment for a criminal action just because you wear RCMP uniform. over and over again police have been able to weasel out of prison time for criminal actions simply because the judges believe that they have high moral values and just made a mistake.

Don't believe that's true as judges must follow the letter of the law and those precedents.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Vinnied says:
Sorry, but what is the point of your post? We the public judged his actions and reactions. As did an independent police force, as well as the crown, and so on. In this case it really WASNT very difficult for anyone to judge.
I think it's safe to say the only one that lacked judgment was Mantler himself.[/quote]

Your allegation that you speak for "We the public" is a rather telling comment that enables me to understand why you would take um bridge with my comments without apparently understanding what I said. As a member of the public that you do NOT speak for I was merely commenting that, in my opinion, the judge had to make a finding based both on the visible (eye witness) evidence available and the invisible but significant evidence of what Mr Mantler was thinking at the time that what was deemed to be excessive force was used. Peace my friend.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the invisible but significant evidence of what Mr Mantler was thinking at the time
Did he actually state what he was thinking at the time?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Donald G wrote:
Your allegation that you speak for "We the public" is a rather telling comment that enables me to understand why you would take um bridge with my comments without apparently understanding what I said. As a member of the public that you do NOT speak for I was merely commenting that, in my opinion, the judge had to make a finding based both on the visible (eye witness) evidence available and the invisible but significant evidence of what Mr Mantler was thinking at the time that what was deemed to be excessive force was used. Peace my friend.

the public outcry that was seen in the media here and elsewhere speaks for the we the people. This is not just my personal sentiment. but thanks for clearing your original post up. Peace
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

It most certainly does not speak for "the public" at large at all!
Where are you coming from precedents! verdict!
The man plead guilty, he owned up and only he can say why. It would be nice if some of this "public" could reach down in their little pea pickin' beings and come to the conclusion maybe he did it because it was the manly thing to do.
There was no verdict here at all, this case was never put to "the test" and was and appears to still be exploited by the media and this "public" opinion.
As to the cops being put up on this invisible pedestal and the notion they should be handed down harsher punishment because they choose a vocation of putting their lives on the line every time they step out the door... well suffice to say that is just pure rubbish. They are no more and no less entitled to the mercy of the decision of a judge than any other person who pleads guilty to any number of offenses.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

crazyoleme wrote:It most certainly does not speak for "the public" at large at all!
Where are you coming from precedents! verdict!
The man plead guilty, he owned up and only he can say why. It would be nice if some of this "public" could reach down in their little pea pickin' beings and come to the conclusion maybe he did it because it was the manly thing to do.
There was no verdict here at all, this case was never put to "the test" and was and appears to still be exploited by the media and this "public" opinion.
As to the cops being put up on this invisible pedestal and the notion they should be handed down harsher punishment because they choose a vocation of putting their lives on the line every time they step out the door... well suffice to say that is just pure rubbish. They are no more and no less entitled to the mercy of the decision of a judge than any other person who pleads guilty to any number of offenses.

To see where im coming from you would have to go back to Donald G's original post

"There is a significant legal and moral difference between the police using force to effect an arrest or gain unquestioned control over a firearm involved situation and the police using excessive force to carry out the exact same arrest. Unfortunately the difference between the two (one legal and the other illegal) is dependent on ALL of the visible circumstances by which each person judges whether the amount of force used was justified AND the interpretation of all of those circumstances as believed by the officer at the time. One very visible. The other invisible. Difficult for anyone to judge"

So as I was saying, wasn't sure what the point of his post was. he has since cleared that up for me. But yes I still believe more people felt this kick was unjustified, the those that thought it was. As for a harsh sentence being handed out. I never commented on that aspect. That will be left for the judge to decide, and we will all have to respect that decision.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Oneeye

Post by Oneeye »

"our" trial? You were personally involved? You gave evidence? You were a witness? You paid for a part of it?

If not then "you" were not involved in the trial at all.

Got to love public interference! Would you be calling it "our" trial if the verdict had been different? Likely not.

But I am sure you will have plenty to schpeel about if the courts dispose of the matter with community service, taking into effect all the other punishment the guilty plea to his actions has had.

What good would it do to put this person in jail? He has and will be punished by all of this without going to jail. He has lost a job a pension, a life and who knows possibly friends and family to boot. I am sure he has learned his lesson and will continue having to explain his actions for the rest of his life, maybe just not to you personally or the media. Time to back away ... after all what truly is this "interest" you have in someone's personal business.[/quote]

You bet I'm involved because I paid for a part of it. And so did you. That makes me personally involved buddy. What good would it do to put this person in jail? Send a message. A big fat loud message - that cops are not above the law. And it's not someone's "personal" business when he is on the job and his salary is being paid for by ME and you. That makes it my business.
sassybee
Board Meister

Post by sassybee »

Once again, someone gets off sentencing too lightly in this country. It was caught on camera, mantler kicking someone in the face. 18 months probabation. Whooooopie!
I hope Tavaras gets $$, because Mantler isn't getting anything except being suspended without pay. Once again, just disgusted with Canada laws.
se123

Post by se123 »

What a joke. The rest of us would get jail time and they are supposed to be held to a higher standard.
We all knew the vicious and cowardly attack on a civilian would go unpunished. Goose steppers win again.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Oh come on now Sassybee he issued an apology! *rolls eyes*
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

If you read the article, it states the prosecutor isn't asking for jail time. That doesn't mean the judge won't hand down jail time when he renders his decision.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

I am not surprised based on other such issues regarding RCMP. Four of them killed a person at Vancouver international and they didn't go to jail, why would Mantler? I think it's wrong he does not see time, but I know of others who have been assaulted much worse than a kick in the face and their attackers never got jail time either. It certainly says a lot about the Canadian justice system, the "above the law" idealism the RCMP continue to demonstrate, and that it's the same old boys club where they defend their own . . . right or wrong, innocent or not. We deserve better.
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Post by CorkSoaker »

Yeah calm yourselves down and read a whole article before you knee jerk yourselves in the face. A sentence has not been handed down yet and like was already stated, just because 18 months probation is what is recommended by the crown does not mean the judge has to abide by said recommendation.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

It is often said that truth is the first casualty of any war
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

No one goes to jail on their first offence for this type of assault. Sorry to burst your bubble. The judge does need to set the sentence within sentencing guidelines and anything outside of the norm would be grounds for an appeal. You should sit in on court sometime and see what sentences are handed down. Better yet, put some names in this and see what sentences you come up with, it may surprise you.

https://eservice.ag.gov.bc.ca/cso/esearch/criminal/partySearch.do
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

Karma will be his jail sentence.

Return to “Central Okanagan”