Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

zzontar
Guru

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Post by zzontar »

Tero wrote:
I just LOVE people who defend illegal activity. Just love it.

I haven't heard you complain about people having a drink in the Chalet. Alcohol is the most destructive recreational drug and pot is probably the lightest one. I guess if they made pot legal then it wouldn't bother you at all seeing as it's the legality that's your complaint?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:How often do you think that happens? How often has that happened in the past? Since minor possession is not a crime in BC......"Do YOU really believe that: these are the targets of the RCMP?" REALLY?

What a totally outlandish, concept YOU have.

ARE you really serious?

Lets look at the actual data.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/posses ... story.html

Ouch. Looks like you owe the poster a apology.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

"kibbs"qIt seems obvious to most that there is an ulterior motive to there volunteering on a ski hill ,perhaps free skiing perhaps P.R.photo ops.If the the latter its a fail.I don't think skiing yuppies smoking pot has been a huge social problem.
I think what people are saying is that we would be a lot more impressed if they were down town volunteering in plain clothes trying to get into the heads and help the crack and meth heads on our downtown streets instead of shredding the gnar.

I think you have smoked too much whacky. Sorry I realize you've never worn a uniform. The last thing members are looking for is a free ski ride by wearing their colors. Not happening!!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Sorry I realize you've never worn a uniform.

I have worn for group four securatas. It is important not to make it look bad.I would never do anything off duty in my uniform .The risk is too great .I believe it was rcmp sanctioned. They saw the cop playin drums in the woods and are making a feeble attempt at spin again.
Peace be with you.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Why the public encourage this? Its just going to limit the medal cont at the podium come olympic time.....

How can this even be legal? Are there no sort of workers comp infractions occuring if an off duty cop gets into some sort of predicament while trying to aprehend a suspect ? They can pick and choose to "police" in their off time? Can they set up a road block too?

Seems a little ridiculous.....
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Corneliousrooster wrote:Why the public encourage this? Its just going to limit the medal cont at the podium come olympic time.....

How can this even be legal? Are there no sort of workers comp infractions occuring if an off duty cop gets into some sort of predicament while trying to aprehend a suspect ? They can pick and choose to "police" in their off time? Can they set up a road block too?

Seems a little ridiculous.....

They aren't off duty, they are on duty but unpaid as they voluntarily worked the hours. Pot isn't legal and these guys aren't going to be really "hunting" for suspects I don't imagine but it makes the smokers show some discretion instead of puffing away on the lift for kids and families to deal with.

They cant' "pick and choose" policing in their off time as this would have to be approved by their supervisors I am sure.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

I could've sworn they had police officers on the slopes at Big White a few years back. I doubt they're only looking for pot up there, people might think twice about having a beer before driving home if they see an officer throughout the day.

jennylives wrote:It's a huge waste of resources. You can go to a pub and have a beer before going on the slopes. They should just give them an area to use so they don't disturb others.

What resources? They're volunteering.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Veovis wrote:They aren't off duty, they are on duty but unpaid as they voluntarily worked the hours.

Say what?

I was under the impression that RCMP got paid a yearly salary, so how can they be on duty and unpaid?

So they are on duty (without pay) and voluntarily providing services for a private enterprise?

"Hey Constable Doe - we need you to set up a speed trap in a school zone today" - " Oh sorry sgt., no can do - I am going to bust pot heads on the hill today FOR FREE"

Ya - flawless plan :spinball:
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

You really aren't understanding how this works or just don't want to so you can be outraged?

Most officers have set scheduled hours each month. The ski hill patrols occur outside their regular scheduled hours at no additional cost. Annual wise they are scheduled for 2080 hours for their salary. These are hours 2081 and above.

No wasted resources, benefit to the owners and families at ski hill, trained individual for assistance in case of emergency.

No speed traps are being cancelled to go skiing, you're simply being ridiculous.

Show some discretion with your drugs at the hill perhaps instead of smoking a joint by some lady and her 8 year old on the chair lift.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Veovis wrote:ou really aren't understanding how this works or just don't want to so you can be outraged?

Not outraged - just think its a stupid idea and a giant waste of time and effort to bust people smoking pot. The effort to harm reduction ratio is slightly out of balance.

Veovis wrote:Most officers have set scheduled hours each month. The ski hill patrols occur outside their regular scheduled hours at no additional cost. Annual wise they are scheduled for 2080 hours for their salary. These are hours 2081 and above.

So that should mean they are "off duty" - not as you previously stated. How can an off duty officer volunteer to put on their uniform and act out their duties at a private enterprise? Makes no sense to me.

Veovis wrote:No wasted resources, benefit to the owners and families at ski hill, trained individual for assistance in case of emergency.

Are they driving their own vehicles up to the hill? Is all the neccessary equipment provided by the hill? No paperwork from their "volunteer" service is going to bleed into paid time service? Sure it is a benefit to the owners and families at the hill - most owners of any enterprise that have issues such as this would have to hire a security service to handle it - not a volunteer public police force. Where is the line? If an officer is in pursuit on the hill and smokes a tree and requires medical attention and rehabilitation - who pays? The public or the hill?

Veovis wrote:Show some discretion with your drugs at the hill perhaps instead of smoking a joint by some lady and her 8 year old on the chair lift.

Agreed! But I don't think a police officer is warranted to enhance the "safety" of the 8 year old and their mother. Some people are just ignorant - no need to police them for it.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Corneliousrooster wrote:If an officer is in pursuit on the hill and smokes a tree and requires medical attention and rehabilitation - who pays? The public or the hill?

How would this be any different from an off duty officer that isn't in uniform who pursues someone?
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Wow, just wow.

Some people go to any lengths to complain about the RCMP. In the recent past there have now been people on Castanet forums who blamed a cop for being hit by a drunk driver and now people who are upset that cops are VOLUNTEERING their time to clean up the slopes a bit.

We commend most people for volunteering in their community, but condemn the RCMP. Unbelievable.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Corneliousrooster wrote:If an officer is in pursuit on the hill and smokes a tree and requires medical attention and rehabilitation - who pays? The public or the hill?

How would this be any different from an off duty officer that isn't in uniform who pursues someone?[/quote]

One is chance encountering a situation and dealing with it - one is seeking a situation, at a public for profit enterprise, to deal with.

Maybe they can start volunteering to police all our concerts and sporting events too? Weddings? bar mitzvahs ? School dances?
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Jonrox wrote:Wow, just wow.

Some people go to any lengths to complain about the RCMP. In the recent past there have now been people on Castanet forums who blamed a cop for being hit by a drunk driver and now people who are upset that cops are VOLUNTEERING their time to clean up the slopes a bit.

We commend most people for volunteering in their community, but condemn the RCMP. Unbelievable.

If they were volunteering to genuinly help with safety - such as with drunk drivers - I don't think you would hear much objection.

They are volunteering to use their authority to help curb annoying smells at a for profit private business. They will be using RCMP uniforms, equipment, vehicles, etc. to perform the "voluntary" service.
The hills will be no safer as a result.

It is a misuse of authority by a business owner being condoned by the RCMP - PERIOD!
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Corneliousrooster wrote:If they were volunteering to genuinly help with safety - such as with drunk drivers - I don't think you would hear much objection.

So as long as they chase people breaking laws, like drunk driving you are ok with it. When did weed and other narcotics become legal? Or is it only if they break laws you personally approve of.

I get you don't think weed is that big a deal, neither do I really, but it's still not legal and the benefit vs tiny cost (if any) is worth it in this instance. You don't have to like it or support it, but it doesn't mean the RCMP are doing anything wrong.

Return to “Canada”