Realtor welcome

littlerope

Realtor welcome

Post by littlerope »

Hi folks just a quick rant.....My lovely wife and I moved to lower mission from the "wet" coast 3 months ago after looking at various properties over the last 2 years. We talked at length over the pros and cons of moving to a smaller community and after a great deal of persuasion my wife succumbed to my arguments and left her family and our grown children behind to start a new chapter in our lives. incidentally, we have owned 3 houses in the past and are used to moving around somewhat. So imagine our surprise when after my wife received the keys to our new townhouse from our realtor we never heard from him again. I mean not an e-mail, not a Timmy Ho's gift card, nothing....it's like he dropped of the face of the earth. We actually started to worry that something bad had happened to him because this behavior was so out of character ( or so we thought ). He was a very affable character while we were house hunting and we enjoyed his company a lot. and as i mentioned, we were well versed in all the steps required and presented no obstacles whatsoever to him as our realtor. Three months past and we were sitting in a coffee shop in our new :137: neighborhood when guess who pops in? one look at us and he turns around and leaves without a word. How bizarre is that? To this day my wife and I can't imagine what we may have done to cause him to behave this way...it's really too bad, because this realtor has left a sour taste in our mouths. In all our real estate dealings in the lower mainland we have never been treated this way. i only hope this mans' behavior is not a reflection of Kelowna professionals....he will certainly never get our business again and we will never recommend his services to anyone...thanks for the listen
Last edited by littlerope on Feb 18th, 2013, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Realtor welcome

Post by Bsuds »

I guess this Realtor does not want any repeat business.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Bsuds wrote:I guess this Realtor does not want any repeat business.

I agree, that's very odd behaviour. Repeat business is huge, most people stick with the same realtor over the years.
That's why realtors like to stay buddy buddy in case you have a friend/relative who is looking for someone you would recommend.
My folks still receive a xmas card and new calendar every year from the realtor who sold them their place and it's been like 8 years.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We got calendars from ours for over 20 years until he retired. Still get stuff from the one who took over from him.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Maybe the guy knows something about that property that you haven't found out about yet?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

sounds like our realtor, and he made coin off both the Sale and the Purchase.
Not even a gift card. CSOB
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
YoungFarmer
Fledgling

Post by YoungFarmer »

What is normal practice with realtors? I bought my first house last year and a second one this year and after the deals are done the realtor has had nothing to do with me. I was suprised because for the amount they get to sell the house i would have expected to see them once or twice to see how things went or maybe a house warming gift, but nothing. I also bought houses off the listing realtor so they made full commission as well. So the moral of the story for me is that when I sell the first house i renovated coming up here soon i will be using a 2% commission or straight rate realtor.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

You made a major mistake when dealing with "professionals" in Kelowna. When he handed the wife the keys to the new place you are suppose to hand him an expensive bottle of wine and tell him how wonderful it has been working with him and that he is just the best RE guy ever!!!!.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GrooveTunes wrote:You made a major mistake when dealing with "professionals" in Kelowna. When he handed the wife the keys to the new place you are suppose to hand him an expensive bottle of wine and tell him how wonderful it has been working with him and that he is just the best RE guy ever!!!!.

he -they got what they wanted from you a SALE thats it.you mean nothing more or nothing less
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Boda wrote:Maybe the guy knows something about that property that you haven't found out about yet?

Thats what it sounds like to me.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I'm not totally shocked by the story.

My wife used to work for a tub company. Once the customer paid his large sum for a tub the salesman had no time for him. Even when the customer came in the following month for chemicals, not even a hello how are you enjoyinhg the tub.

It is sad, and yes I know not all people in sales are like this.

Hope you new home is all that!!
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Drop in or call his office and ask him if you really want to know. Personally, I just want good service when I do dealings with anyone. After that's done I really don't care.

When we last sold in Kelowna our agent gave us a free 4hr fishing charter in Ucluelet on his boat. Beautiful sunny day, one fish and a mild case of sea sickness but we still enjoyed it. For a few months after that he continued to send us his monthly RE report. I think he has since retired.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

To the OP, this is "welcome to Kelowna".

Do not take it personally. There may be other similar odd behaviours and strange people you need to overcome in this weird town. Get over it/past it and enjoy the rest of your life in the Okanagan.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient
Gazer

Post by Gazer »

I'd say the guy you used is not a reflection of what the realtors here are like.I bought my house a few years ago and still hear from my realtor a couple times a year. After the deal was closed, I received a plant and a gift card to a place where I could buy some things for my new house.

At the end of the day, as long as you're happy with the house and enjoy where you're living, that's all that matters.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

littlerope wrote:Hi folks just a quick rant.....? My lovely wife & I moved to lower mission from the "wet" coast 3 months ago after looking at various properties over the last 2 years. We talked at length over the pros and cons of moving to a smaller community and after a great deal of persuasion my wife succumbed to my arguments and left her family and our grown children behind to start a new chapter in our lives. incidentally, we have owned 3 houses in the past and are used to moving around somewhat. So imagine our surprise when after my wife received the keys to our new townhouse from our realtor we never heard from him again. I mean not an e-mail, not a Timmy Ho's gift card, nothing....it's like he dropped of the face of the earth. We actually started to worry that something bad had happened to him because this behavior was so out of character ( or so we thought ). He was a very affable character while we were house hunting and we enjoyed his company a lot. Three months past and we were sitting in a coffee shop in our new :137: neighborhood when guess who pops in? one look at us and he turns around and leaves without a word. How bizarre is that? To this day my wife & I can't imagine what we may have done to cause him to behave this way...it's really too bad, because this realtor has left a sour taste in our mouths. In all our real estate dealings in the lower mainland we have never been treated this way. i only hope this mans' behavior is not a reflection of Kelowna professionals....he will certainly never get our business again and we will never recommend his services to anyone...thanks for the listen

It's not just a realtor thing it's a kelowna thing. Welcome to the snobbiest place on earth. :discodance:

Return to “Central Okanagan”