Best neighborhoods in Penticton and area?

Nooby
Übergod

Best neighborhoods in Penticton and area?

Post by Nooby »

Good morning fellow Penticton dwellers,

We've just relocated here and I'm seeking some general/preliminary info about best areas to live in Penticton. First of all - no "Negative Nelly' comments please :) - we're very happy about our decision and trust me - it's a definite improvement over where we were. Anyway - we're probably looking to buy in 6 months or longer. No townhome, condo or duplex for us - must be a house with garage, and yard for dogs. Does not have to be a new house or newer neighborhood - clean, good condition, safe and reasonably quiet is more important (I know, I'm asking a lot). The usual 'close to shopping and schools' real estate pitch means nothing to us - it's no hardship for us to drive to whatever shopping we need and there are no children involved (I'd actually prefer to NOT be close to a school :)). I'm not going to get into details about price range and such here (we're not rich, but comfortable). Again, just looking for general opinions on nice areas from people who actually live here - I'm sure when we get to the point of seriously looking with a helpful realtor we'll figure it out. Thanks.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Best neighborhoods in Penticton and area?

Post by fluffy »

What sort of requirements do you have as to family size and such? You'll find most of the housing on the upper benches on the east side are newer properties, but just about exclusively family sized and priced accordingly. If you're just a couple with occasional company staying over you can find a nice selection in the older neighbourhoods on the valley floor, an area roughly bounded by Railway Ave. on the south, and Fairview to the east, the same with anything east of Main Street and north of Duncan. It's hard to nail it down as there is plenty of variety all over town, just driving around will give you a good idea of what to expect.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Thanks Fluffy. It's just us and small dogs, but a modest sized 'family house' is probably what we're looking for - i.e. I need lots of closet space, workout area, husband needs a big garage. We're renting in the upper bench area right now and really liking it, so it would be nice to find something in our 'range' up here. But obviously there are other options, as you've mentioned (and company can sleep on the couch :))

Thanks again.
ogopogo69

Post by ogopogo69 »

You cant beat the upper and middle bench road area ,i lived on munson ave for 5 yrs myself on an acreage and it was fantastic.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

If the drive doesn't matter, there are some awesome deals right now in Okanagan Falls.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Thanks. Personally I would prefer to be right in Penticton (I'm used to my short little drive to work :)) but we definitely would consider OK Falls, Summerland, etc. if there's something more suitable there. We've got lots of time to look around and decide, so we're not going to rush into anything - we want the next move to be our last!
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

Nooby, so many choices for you.

I have lived right in town, 15 minutes out, wayyyyy out of town and points in between. All have their pros and cons.

A 10 to 15 minute drive south will put you in Heritage Hills and Vintage Views. Cheap lots at <$200,000 for a spectacular lakeview lot that was $350,000 in 2007. Many of the house prices are down as well. This area gives you views, some privacy and quiet. The downside is you are having to drive no matter what you want to do.

Living downtown on the flats, Alexander and Chuchill Ave area gives you one to two block proximity to Okanagan Lake, a few blocks further takes you to all the downtown restaurants, theatre and shopping.

Windsor, Douglas Ave area are on the flats, big lots, nice for walking, downtown still an easy walk, as is Safeway.

Upper Duncan area is nice too.

Uplands, Redlands have many nice homes, larger lots, nice neighbourhood. Can walk downtown, but you will work your glutes coming back up. Easy access to the KVR walking trail.

This list is by no exhaustive but some food for thought and a conversation.

Penticton really is an incredible place to live. All one needs, like any place, is a can do attitude and look to make the best of it all.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Thanks to everyone for your input and helpful suggestions.

Return to “Central Okanagan”