Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

SurplusElect
Übergod

Re: Canada’s War on Pot Just Got Weirder

Post by SurplusElect »

Fancy wrote:Nah, they just cruise on through them.

Keep repeating those myths they might come true!
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Corneliousrooster wrote:One detail? Everything they are going to do up there (or deter) could be done at the owner of the ski hills expense with a few strategically placed cameras that would provide video "evidence" that could be passed on to RCMP to assist them in pursuing any required charges.

A police presence is over-rated in terms of minimizing offences - the vancouver riot should be a case in point.

Except for the fact that there currently is zero police presence up there. When people are in an area where they've never seen a cop around, they're going to be more likely to break the law.

Corneliousrooster wrote:This statement is so far reaching...... tonnes of condos justifies your argument? $1000+ planks? My car is worth more than that - maybe we should encourage them to patrol orchard park parking lot to deter b and E's or theft...... the list is endless as where they could/should volunteer their time.

The point you are missing is that this is a private enterprise using a publicly funded police force to enhance their mountains safety perception. Its not right.

Have you seen how many condos are up there? There are enough residences at Big White to make up a small town. Whistler is even larger. My cars are all worth more than any of my skis, but someone can't walk up and ride away in your car as easily as you could walk up to the racks and steal $1000+ in gear just by putting it on your feet and gliding away. Not to mention most people have little to no identifying information on their stuff.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

I don't think anyone's denying the fact that a location of this size needs a police presence.

But the stupidity of that picture Of a cop snowboarding In a full RCMP uniform Including bulletproof vest Is hilarious.

And the mentality ,that someone who smokes a joint of marijuana While skiing Is an out-of-control maniac Who must be arrested Is equally hilarious.

You will see very few,Crystal meth and crack heads out of control on the ski hills but you will probably see very mellow relaxed people of all races, age groups and occupations enjoying their day.
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
ford150

Post by ford150 »

If Big White has so many Condos that they now require RCMP services do like every other community and hire the RCMP and pay them from property taxes. Isn’t that what Silver Star does? The RCMP are providing free security to a bunch of rich guys with low property taxes on their recreation homes.
If there is a problem with skis being stolen lock them up while you are sitting in the bar getting plastered before the afternoon runs. If I was to leave my mountain bike in a bike rack without locking it I would assume it would be gone within minutes. Should the RCMP provide free security for me to leave my expensive toys lying around in a public place, especially now that there are so many condos down town? Should I be allowed to ride it around in public after sitting in the bar drinking?
There is no longer any ambulance service on the hill to help people but we have armed police to provide comfort to the elite.
When I’m skiing I’m not worried about a few teenagers smoking pot but whenever I drive up there for night skiing I’m worried about all of the drunks heading down the hill like maniacs.
How about if the volunteer RCMP were to set up road blocks at the intersection of Big White Rd and Hwy 33 and for every impaired driver they catch they get a free day pass. Or would that cause the bars to lose money and we can’t have a business lose any revenue now can we. The liquor store seems to do a booming business at the end of the day with all the people leaving to go to the parking lot. What do they call that Après ski I think? Drunk yuppies = good
Teen smoking pot =bad
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

ford150 wrote:If Big White has so many Condos that they now require RCMP services do like every other community and hire the RCMP and pay them from property taxes. Isn’t that what Silver Star does? The RCMP are providing free security to a bunch of rich guys with low property taxes on their recreation homes.
If there is a problem with skis being stolen lock them up while you are sitting in the bar getting plastered before the afternoon runs. If I was to leave my mountain bike in a bike rack without locking it I would assume it would be gone within minutes. Should the RCMP provide free security for me to leave my expensive toys lying around in a public place, especially now that there are so many condos down town? Should I be allowed to ride it around in public after sitting in the bar drinking?
There is no longer any ambulance service on the hill to help people but we have armed police to provide comfort to the elite.
When I’m skiing I’m not worried about a few teenagers smoking pot but whenever I drive up there for night skiing I’m worried about all of the drunks heading down the hill like maniacs.
How about if the volunteer RCMP were to set up road blocks at the intersection of Big White Rd and Hwy 33 and for every impaired driver they catch they get a free day pass. Or would that cause the bars to lose money and we can’t have a business lose any revenue now can we. The liquor store seems to do a booming business at the end of the day with all the people leaving to go to the parking lot. What do they call that Après ski I think? Drunk yuppies = good
Teen smoking pot =bad

:rate10:
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Teen smoking pot =bad

Best idea I have head in a long time. :rate10:
Peace be with you.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

They aren't harming anyone by being there. I'm not understanding why you care so much. The only reason I can think of is that you like to smoke, drink, or cause trouble on while on the hill yourselves. Otherwise, this program has absolutely no impact on your lives whatsoever. It doesn't cost you tax dollars or increase the price of a lift ticket, and the 1 extra person in line at the lifts might delay you getting on by 10 seconds.

How sad it must be to be so jaded that you can't even appreciate someone giving of their own time to help make their community a safer place. I can't see how you think it's better to have no cops, rather than having volunteer cops? With your disdain for everything RCMP, I would have thought you'd like have them working for free rather than having to pay them.

It's a good program that should be extended nationwide.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

its just an other chance for some people to cop bash thats all
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

This has far less to do with police and far more to do with RCMP exploitation by big business.

It is akin to asking an arborist friend at BC Hydro to come by with the company truck and prune your hedges and you will let them use the pool. Great for the employee (if they are willing to volunteer)- great for the home owner - not so great for the company who supplies the equipment and benefit package.

You want the services of the RCMP - PAY FOR THE SERVICES! No cop bashing neccessary to make this point! Its not about pot smokers, or drinking, or theft or good/bad cops. Capiche?
mitchbaywatch

Post by mitchbaywatch »

Considering they pay taxes to the Kootenays, and Kelowna cops up there.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

mitchbaywatch wrote:Considering they pay taxes to the Kootenays, and Kelowna cops up there.

And the police will respond when called - they do not pay to have a staffed RCMP detachment which is, judging by some of the posts on here, the kind of service they are expecting.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Corneliousrooster wrote:It is akin to asking an arborist friend at BC Hydro to come by with the company truck and prune your hedges and you will let them use the pool. Great for the employee (if they are willing to volunteer)- great for the home owner - not so great for the company who supplies the equipment and benefit package.

Actually this would be more like asking your friend who is a lifeguard to wear their lifeguard uniform while enjoying your pool, which they would already be enjoying anyways.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

ford150 wrote:If Big White has so many Condos that they now require RCMP services do like every other community and hire the RCMP and pay them from property taxes. Isn’t that what Silver Star does? The RCMP are providing free security to a bunch of rich guys with low property taxes on their recreation homes.

I think you guys need to see what's actually happening for yourselves. The ski hills are getting a service that is nowhere near "free security". It's one or two cops skiing or riding looking out for anything obviously illegal. I think you're thinking they're doing a whole lot more than they actually are. It's not hurting anyone by them being there, so I don't see what the big deal is. It's keeping the hills a bit safer for everyone to enjoy.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Jonrox wrote:Wow, just wow.

Some people go to any lengths to complain about the RCMP. In the recent past there have now been people on Castanet forums who blamed a cop for being hit by a drunk driver and now people who are upset that cops are VOLUNTEERING their time to clean up the slopes a bit.

We commend most people for volunteering in their community, but condemn the RCMP. Unbelievable.

:rate10:

Absolutely nothing surprises me on Castanet anymore. People will complain about ANYTHING!
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

The fact that RCMP members would volunteer their time to "combat" what apparently is the lowest priority of all police calls is scary. Who in their right mind would volunteer to combat such a trivial "problem" - or is there something else at play here?

Might be a "free skiing and low hanging fruit" type situation. Meaning the RCMP get to hit the slopes for free and make the easiest busts in policing.

Ultimately some kids will get a possession charge so the police can justify their free day passes. The RCMP are not driving up to Big White to answer "pot smoking complaints" - and again - we are told that pot possession charges are basically not pursued even when The Vancouver Sun shed light on Bill McKinnon's lies.

So what are we really talking about?

Seems to me the RCMP wanted to go skiing and the classic "patsy" of drug-war criminality will pay for it. Has there been a single incident that anyone can cite that shows how pot smokers have jeopardized anyone's safety?

Again - what are we talking about? Enforcing "the smell of illegality on chairlifts"?

Too bad some kids will have to get a charge on their records so these guys can ski for free. Too bad we all will pay taxdollar's out processing these people through court and the justice system so these guys can ski for free.

I mean - show some flipping DATA already. Justify it.

Return to “Canada”