Traffic circles

dcipher
Übergod

Re: Traffic circles

Post by dcipher »

dcipher wrote:Talking about speeds in Kelowna will never work, so make it simple:

1.if you can enter - ENTER! (without making somebody hit their breaks)
- DO NOT SIGNAL WHEN YOU ENTER

2.signal when you exit - it defeats the entire purpose, and is completely inconsiderate. This is to the 95% of you who don't.

THE END.

PS. To the people who signal (sometimes right, sometimes left) when entering, but don't signal when you leave. You're not self-entitled, you're just clueless - which is slightly more noble, but has the same end result.

boardsweeper wrote:

If you need to stay in the circle make sure you KEEP that signal on left as most people assume your exiting... and they just pin it through..

my experience...

Aaaaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I don't see the problem with signalling right when entering the circle if you're exiting right away.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:I don't see the problem with signalling right when entering the circle if you're exiting right away.

Since the only signal needed or used in a traffic circle is right (in traffic circle never need or should use left signal), their may or could be less confusion if it was only used to exit.

just a thought
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I was thinking of Louie Drive to Butt Road - you're in and out before you know it.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Why do people find this so difficult? Signal left as you enter, then signal right once you've passed the last exit before you're intended exit. If you're using the first exit after you enter, signal right as you enter.

It's not that hard to do. At the very least signal right as you approach your exit so traffic can flow as smoothly as possible.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

:ohmygod: You have to be an idiot if you can not drive in a traffic circle, how did you get your drivers licnse.
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

GordonH wrote:Since the only signal needed or used in a traffic circle is right (in traffic circle never need or should use left signal), their may or could be less confusion if it was only used to exit.

just a thought

Ding ding ding!!!! Thanks.

It also serves no useful purpose..."Attention...I"m turning right (or is it left?) into the traffic circle!!!" Yes...as opposed to....

The only thing it does help do is notify people that somebody who doesn't know how to use a circle is entering. It is an "ignorance signal"....but I'd prefer they just turned on their emergency flashers for that!
dcipher
Übergod

Post by dcipher »

Fancy wrote:I was thinking of Louie Drive to Butt Road - you're in and out before you know it.

I do think the circles are so small as to often render the signalling ineffective, unfortunately, nothing can be done about that now.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Just in case you're still confused:

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/roundabouts/index.html
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I'm not confused :discodance:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

dcipher wrote:Ding ding ding!!!! Thanks.

It also serves no useful purpose..."Attention...I"m turning right (or is it left?) into the traffic circle!!!" Yes...as opposed to....

The only thing it does help do is notify people that somebody who doesn't know how to use a circle is entering. It is an "ignorance signal"....but I'd prefer they just turned on their emergency flashers for that!

If nothing else, turning on your left blinker indicates that you're intelligent enough to use your signals in a roundabout. If I don't see any blinkers, I assume that person is an idiot and I can't count on them to properly signal their exit.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

underscore wrote:Why do people find this so difficult? Signal left as you enter, then signal right once you've passed the last exit before you're intended exit. If you're using the first exit after you enter, signal right as you enter.

It's not that hard to do. At the very least signal right as you approach your exit so traffic can flow as smoothly as possible.

I appreciate your points and agree that signalling as you've described may make your intentions better known to others but the rules of the road in BC are set by ICBC and the provincial government not random anonymous posters on internet discussion forums.

As was posted earlier today there is no requirement to signal enterring a traffic circle (left or right). The only requirement is to signal right to exit the traffic circle.

It seems a little silly to be getting worked up about people not getting it or finding it "so difficult" when, according to the governing body, there is no requirement for people to signal the way you would like everyone to.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

dcipher wrote:Ding ding ding!!!! Thanks.

underscore wrote:If nothing else, turning on your left blinker indicates that you're intelligent enough to use your signals in a roundabout. If I don't see any blinkers, I assume that person is an idiot and I can't count on them to properly signal their exit.

If you don't see any blinkers it could very well mean that the person is an idiot and that they may not be able to be counted on to properly signal their exit but it could also mean that they are not an idiot and have actually read the ICBC rules for traffic signals and that they know that there is no requirement to signal on enterring.

On the other hand, people with their blinkers on when waiting to enter a traffic circle are simply advertising to everyone that they are not familiar with ICBC's rules for traffic circles.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Dash5 wrote:I appreciate your points and agree that signalling as you've described may make your intentions better known to others but the rules of the road in BC are set by ICBC and the provincial government not random anonymous posters on internet discussion forums.

As was posted earlier today there is no requirement to signal enterring a traffic circle (left or right). The only requirement is to signal right to exit the traffic circle.

It seems a little silly to be getting worked up about people not getting it or finding it "so difficult" when, according to the governing body, there is no requirement for people to signal the way you would like everyone to.

It appears that I was mis-informed by my ICBC tester several years ago then, as he told me to signal left going in, and then right going out. Either the rules have changed, or he was incorrect. My apologies, no need to point out my mistake twice though.

Return to “Central Okanagan”