Gas Prices

Whyme2
Übergod

Re: Gas Prices

Post by Whyme2 »

Glacier wrote:Some people need to take a chill pill. Funny how no one has a coronary every time the price of milk increases.

What the hell kind of vehicle do you drive that uses milk? :coffeecanuck:
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

Glacier wrote:Some people need to take a chill pill. Funny how no one has a coronary every time the price of milk increases.

If I had to buy 150L of milk every other week I'd probably be more concerned about it too.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I don't buy milk. Also how could anyone ever defend what the oil companies are doing? It is obvious that they are gouging us right? It must make them laugh at those who defend them for having a "good reason" for raising prices. Their saying to themselves, "good little mindless people, yes, believe what we tell you".

Hey, do everyone and yourselves a favor, accept if you want the reality, but don't buy the propaganda. Not convinced yet? How about OPEC lowering production because oil prices are falling? We wouldn't want that would we? How about oil companies recording record profits in the billions, with a capital B?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

GASpump.gif
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Lets see prices in area's of Europe: average $$$ per/litre

United Kingdom = $2.15
Germany = $2.205
France = $2.342
Italy = $2.51

These are Canadian dollars

So be happy if you can with $1.259....... or not. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

You aren't wrong Gord, prices not too bad compared to some other areas of the world. The thing that irks me is the collusion between oil companies to fix prices. Maybe it has never been proved that there is collusion but sure feels that way when they all sell at the same price. Why wouldn't one of them want to increase their market share and shave a few cents per litre to steal business from the other guys? If Costco can sell gas cheaper, there is obviously some wiggle room. Second thing is all the taxes on gas and then the feds tax the taxes! I may be able to swallow carbon taxes etc etc, if the GST was only applied to the cost of the fuel and not cost plus taxes.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

GordonH wrote:Lets see prices in area's of Europe: average $$$ per/litre

United Kingdom = $2.15
Germany = $2.205
France = $2.342
Italy = $2.51

These are Canadian dollars

So be happy if you can with $1.259....... or not. lol

I'll choose not.

Since we're having fun with irrelevant comparisons here anyways....

Ecuador = $0.44
Libya = $0.17
Oman = $0.31
Qatar = $0.22
Saudi Arabia = $0.12
Venezuela = $0.016

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_a ... nd_pricing
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Breakdown of current fuel prices in Kelowna

Rack price .8180¢ https://services.shell.ca/postedprices/ ... ce_en.html
Motor Fuel Tax .145¢
Carbon Tax .0667¢
Federal Excise Tax .10¢

(pump price) $1.259 - (above figures added up) $1.1297 = .1293

So out of the remainder (.1293¢) is transport cost from Kamloops to Kelowna...... what the Station owner/manger gets & GST.

Definition of Rack price is the price at which refineries sell gasoline to their various clients. These clients can include wholesale gasoline sellers or even gas stations themselves. The type of gasoline they sell includes branded or unbranded types.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

the fact remains your all just being taken for a ride....I came down from the wack for a week, and needless to say the gas prices are just as much as they are on the coast. used to be the coast was much more, now your pretty much well on par....

my advice would be suck it up or leave... :sillygrin:
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

watchkat wrote:I'm tired of the lies told regarding prices are higher because.................
Check out http://www.gasbuddy.com for Kelowna, Summerland, Vernon, Penticton, Osoyoos and recent prices are 128.9 for the most part right up and down the valley, BUT
Check out Burns Lake, Little Fort, Barriere, Williams Lake, etc..........hmmm it is still 116.9 to 118.9
They are in the long list of cheapest gas search for B.C.
So much for the BS of costs of delivery to the Okanagan valley.

I just sent this to Dan Albas and Ron Cannan. Conservatives are now a majority and so time they actually did something about the gouging rather than their old excuse of no support from other parties back then.

To Dan Albas and one separately to Ron Cannan stating that I'm not in his riding but asking he do something also.

As a resident of xxx, I am in your riding and I would sincerely ask you once again to look into this price gouging in the Okanagan.

One look at today's Gas buddy reports from purchasers compared to the rest of the province including Burns Lake, Little Fort, Barriere and many other outlying areas proves that something is amiss here.
Fuel in the Okanagan valley jumped over night by 10cents for the most part to a common point of 128.9 per litre and yet it is still 116.9 to 118.9 as a low in many other places in this province.
These lower prices are in many cases locations that are out of the way and defy the claims of suppliers to our valley that delivery charges account for the hikes quite often.

Please look at http://www.gasbuddy.com for British Columbia all and you will see these low prices are within the last few minutes in many cases....not old reports.
Then check Kelowna, Salmon Arm, Penticton, Westbank, etc and you will clearly see they are ganging up with pricing for no reason.
Oil is down $2.00 a barrel today!

Just bumping up the post of emails sent to our representatives with return receipt asked when sent.
That was Feb 15th..........
This was acknowledged after a couple of days and then I received this from Ron Cannan's office.............still not even an acknowledgment from Dan Albas who lives in Lakeview Heights rather than Penticton now.
So much for caring who will vote for you. He seems to think this is a Conservative stronghold after Stockwell Day....surprise coming for uncaring representatives.

Feb 19, 2013 5:38am
Dear Ms.xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your e-mail. It has been drawn to Mr. Cannan’s attention.
We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions with us.

Sincerely,
Steve Kempton
Special Assistant
Ron Cannan, P.C., M.P.

Kelowna - Lake Country

Gutless, uncaring and overbearing..........yes, they are about to look into it... :dyinglaughing:
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

I think we are missing the main point here. Most people would accept that due to certain "market forces" gas may well rise and may well fall. The point here is twice in as many weeks we have seen gas go down then drastically back up within hours. This is what strikes me as unexplainable. Have a look again now and you will see that it has dropped to 129.9 from the 131.9 of this morning. Its a joke.
Having said all this nobody has even mentioned the cost of diesel. Today i paid a whopping 145.9 at Husky on Gordon. The cost of diesel does seem to vary yet the price is seldom advertised on the forecourt so you don't know what the pump price is until you are at the pump. I would also think that cost of diesel would have a bigger bearing on cost of goods and services so wouldn't be surprised if we see more expensive milk soon. :sillygrin:
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

wolfen_one wrote:When milk goes up at IGA in Peachland it does not change within the hour to the exact same price at "every" store all the way to Winfield.

Gas prices don't change instantly. I often see gas prices take a day or two to adjust. Same goes for milk. The difference between milk and gas is that Safeway cannot compete pricewise with the Super Store, and thus they adjust their milk price with that in mind. They overcome this disadvantage in other ways such as offering better service.

Since the cost to run a gas station is pretty constant, they compete on price. Price matching is really the only way to stay in business when the input costs are equal for everyone.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Glacier wrote:Gas prices don't change instantly. I often see gas prices take a day or two to adjust.
Since the cost to run a gas station is pretty constant, they compete on price. Price matching is really the only way to stay in business when the input costs are equal for everyone.

They do and have done on more than one occasion during last 2 weeks. Down in the morning then up in the afternoon. Within 24 hrs all stations are showing same price. If the cost to run a gas station is constant then the only reason to put price up is if they are buying it in at a higher rate. So new delivery is on way, it costs more so put up pump prices. But we have seen stations drop the price in the morning then raise it big time in the afternoon. This has not been explained.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I would suggest checking the Rack price to see if it goes up & down here are couple web sites:

https://services.shell.ca/postedprices/ ... ce_en.html

http://www.petro-canada.ca/en/wholesalefuel/5531.aspx

check Kamloops since that's depot Kelowna's fuel comes from.
wolfen_one
Fledgling

Post by wolfen_one »

Gas prices don't change instantly. I often see gas prices take a day or two to adjust. Same goes for milk. The difference between milk and gas is that Safeway cannot compete pricewise with the Super Store, and thus they adjust their milk price with that in mind. They overcome this disadvantage in other ways such as offering better service.

Since the cost to run a gas station is pretty constant, they compete on price. Price matching is really the only way to stay in business when the input costs are equal for everyone.[/quote]

You've obviously never run a retail grocery store or gas station. Majority of profits at a gas station come from additional sales of smokes, snacks, motor oil etc. where the markups are inflated,as well as paying minimum wage or close to it. Don't believe me...ask the owners or managers.Spikes in gas prices are just a bonus to the bottom line and sweeten the pot.

Return to “Central Okanagan”