A coffee shop and the penny

livewire
Fledgling

A coffee shop and the penny

Post by livewire »

Here's one for you just for fun. Went to a drive through and ordered a coffee. It was $1.78. I got 20 cents change. It's only 2 cents and that's not my point.....but let's just do some math. How many cups of coffee per day does any one drive through nationwide sell, multiplied by 2 cents. (I would rather them have told me it was $1.80...never would have thought about it)
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: A coffe shop and the Penny

Post by Nebula »

On the flip side, if it had worked out to $1.82, you still would have got 20 cents back. I think it all works out in the wash.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I doubt that. I bet he would have got 15 cents back.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Here's a rub. Say a vendor adjusts all item prices so that when tax is applied to that single item, the final price will always be rounded up? Easy enough to do and of course would not work if a person purchased two items but for volume vendors that often have one item sales, that extra 2 or 3 points could really add up in time. Timmies coffee is a really good example. Or how bout the fast food joints pricing combo meals so the final price is always rounded up?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

livewire wrote: (I would rather them have told me it was $1.80...never would have thought about it)

I'm sure it will be that way eventually. In the interim the did what the Gov't has told them to do.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

If ya'll are worried about pennies being rounded up...

Pick up a couple pop cans & bottles & you'll be ahead :sillygrin:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

2¢ is round down, 3¢ is round up to 5¢.

i.e customer charged $1.02.......... change from a toonie a loonie, if it was $1.03......... change .95¢

Customers are going have to live with change, or use debit then you're not charged that extra 2¢. :smt102
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Nebula wrote:On the flip side, if it had worked out to $1.82, you still would have got 20 cents back. I think it all works out in the wash.

It boils down to what nebula says. Think about it, sometimes the business loses 2 cents, sometimes the gain. Im sure it equals out in the end. But.... if somebody is so excited about this, they should start doing a study on if there is any money to be made out of this. haha :coffeecanuck:
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

and yes, if it overly excites you, just use debit. The problem is solved.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

My grandmother told me that in New Zealand, when they did away with the penny AND the nickel, some folk were actually planning their grocery shopping to make sure it ended up to their advantage. She said they pretty quickly realized it wasn't worth the effort. It all evens out in the end.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Yesterday I went to A & W, cost was $5.04... I gave 5$ and 4 pennies... no I was asked to pay 5.05$

is that alright?
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

meh, I use debit for everything anyways. Would be nice to see some of the concessions at events centres (not ours exclusively) to start taking debit instead of just credit or cash.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

I sensed y'all would miss the point.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

livewire wrote:I sensed y'all would miss the point.

Sorry, I think we rounded down your two cents ;)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I purchased some coffees etc at the Tim Hortons in Summerland and was asked for the extra 2 cents. I didn't really care . The clerk said "we're helping out getting rid of pennies". ? *bleep* ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Central Okanagan”