Powerful video about bullying

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Powerful video about bullying

Post by coffeeFreak »

To This Day Project is a project based on a spoken word poem written by Shane Koyczan called “To This Day”, to further explore the profound and lasting impact that bullying can have on an individual.

Schools and families are in desperate need of proper tools to confront this problem. We can give them a starting point… A message that will have a far reaching and long lasting effect in confronting bullying.

Animators and motion artists brought their unique styles to 20 second segments that will thread into one fluid voice.

This collaborative volunteer effort will demonstrate what a community of caring individuals are capable of when they come together.

http://www.tothisdayproject.com
WhatThe

Re: Powerful video about bullying

Post by WhatThe »

Well done Shane. Thanks for posting that Coffee, I hope many watch it.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

What a powerful video!
Wed., Feb.27 is anti bullying day.
Wear pink in support and if you see bullying
occurring stand up against it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

It is a great video, it has reduced more than one adult to tears . . . very poignant.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Shane's talent is a gift to us all.
Way to go Shane...brilliant.
Thanks for posting this CF
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

As a person who was bullied in school and had small children that were picked on as well ,we need to arm our kids with more than poetry ,pink shirts and cartoons.We need to build their confidence and belief in themselves If your kids are bullied stop at nothing to see that their school fix it and bullies expelled. Don't send them back till its safe.Stand up for them and support them.Send them to school full of love ,confidence and security.Make sure they hold their head high, that they believe in themselves .The only way you can stop a bu;ly is to stop him.If their are no victims there are no bullies.Don't be a victim be a survivor.Teach other kids to step up instead of watching.Is it really something anyone is unaware of.
Peace be with you.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Here's a Castanet article on Shane Kyczan, the poet who wrote "To This Day"

Q and A with slam poet Koyczan
by Deborah Pfeiffer - Story: 87840
Feb 23, 2013 / 1:37 pm

Shane Koyczan’s schedule has been busy, since his video exploring the lasting impact bullying can have on an individual went viral this week.

As well as dealing with media interviews, there has been a huge response from fans on the Internet. There have been thousands of views of the To This Day project on You Tube and endless praise given on Facebook and Twitter.

Castanet caught up with the Penticton slam poet for a quick q and a before he catches a flight to Los Angeles today, (Saturday).

Q: When and why did you write To This Day, the spoken word poem, the project is based on?:

A: It was two or three years ago. It was a piece I’ve been meaning to write for a long time. For me as a writer, I really need to get everything out, to make room for more.

Q: Why did you put out the call to animators and motion artists to contribute 20 second segments to the project?

A: It’s hard to get any funding for poets. I wanted to put out a video that showed multiple voices. No one got paid for it. It was a total volunteer effort.

Q: What was the response to your call out for animators?:

A: There were more than 400 submissions, and I had to narrow that down and make some really hard choices. All of these animators are strangers, I don’t know any of them. Their work can be seen on vimeo.com on Two This Day plus. And Giant Ant, the video storytelling production crew I worked with in Vancouver, were amazing.

Q: How do you feel about the project going viral. It has received thousands of views on You Tube?

A: This project is not for me. I did not do it for my gratification. I put it out there for people who have been bullied and feel afraid and alone, just to start a conversation. It is important to give them a jumping off point. As for the media response, it has been nonstop. My first interview today, (Friday), was at 3:45 a.m.

Q: So after this what’s next?

A: I am going to Los Angeles for a major TED stop. (TED is a nonprofit devoted to ideas worth spreading).

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/87840/Q-and-A-with-slam-poet-Koyczan
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Bullies are sniveling little cowards inside. That is why they need to pick on others. I was bullied in school too because I was small in stature, but I called them on their attitude, made them look at why they bullied. My favourite line from the old Harold Head comic strip was when a cop put a gun to his head in a bar and he asked the cop, "How long have you been harbouring these feelings of inadequacy anyway?" Most bullies have been belittled or beaten by their fathers or older siblings. Sometimes they need a little TLC. I saved myself a lot of pain growing up by reaching out to their human side.

My father told me that if faced with the inevitable beating from a bully, grab his pinky finger and break it Doesn't matter how big they are, they will crumble to the ground. I never had to do that. I found out quite young that my voice was my best weapon of self defense.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

cliffy1 wrote:My father told me that if faced with the inevitable beating from a bully, grab his pinky finger and break it Doesn't matter how big they are, they will crumble to the ground. I never had to do that. I found out quite young that my voice was my best weapon of self defense.

I say whatever works, do it. Some can use their brains/words, others just have to stand up physically. The trick is finding what works with what bully.

I too, was very small in school and when my words didn't work I resorted to STARTING the physical stuff. Only took a couple fights for people to realize I wouldn't tolerate being bullied.

Of course that was before jail and lawsuits for teenagers, so who knows what works now.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

fvkasm2x wrote:
I say whatever works, do it. Some can use their brains/words, others just have to stand up physically. The trick is finding what works with what bully.

I too, was very small in school and when my words didn't work I resorted to STARTING the physical stuff. Only took a couple fights for people to realize I wouldn't tolerate being bullied.

Of course that was before jail and lawsuits for teenagers, so who knows what works now.

Bullying doesn't stop until you fight back .. I was like you.. its just too bad there isn't something beside physical violence for some to get it to stop.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I think Shane did a fabulous job and I'm incredibly jealous he was invited to go to the TED conference. I'm not jealous he got to speak though, I'd rather watch. I loved every bit of it and my daughter loved it too.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Here is the link to Shane's TED talk http://www.ted.com/talks/shane_koyczan_ ... tiful.html
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

awesome
thanks JL
will watch that as I eat my dinn

Return to “Social Concerns”