Pet-eating cougars killed

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Pet eating cougars killed

Post by Fancy »

The chances of people being hurt increase with animals comfortable around neighbourhoods. Once an animal is used to scavenging and hunting around homes, it is not worth the risk to relocate them. This isn't just about cats and dogs - people are getting hurt and when it happens to a young child the damage is extensive.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Spocky
Fledgling

Post by Spocky »

-fluffy- wrote:The was an article in the Penticton Herald recently tying cougar influx to the growing population of urban deer, and tying the urban deer numbers to easy food in the form of gardens, landscaping and poorly stored garbage. It doesn't take a detective to discover that once again this is something we have brought on ourselves. I freely admit that relocation seems on the surface to be a more humane approach than destroying the creatures, but if relocated animals are just going to head right back into town then isn't it a waste of resources?

We live in the vast province of BC! I'm not saying move the animals to Brenda Mines where they can saunter right back! There are hundreds of square miles in this province that likely have never seen a human footprint! The relocation of cougars and bears could be done in these remote areas where they'd never have a chance to see another human settlement.

Shooting these noble and beautiful creatures is wrong. There are alternatives to a bullet which will keep people just as safe.
It Is When People Forget God That Tyrants Forge Their Chains - Patrick Henry
It's the Marxists, Stupid!
BC under the Endeepee won't be just like North Korea: the gulags will have nicer views.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The relocation of cougars and bears could be done in these remote areas where they'd never have a chance to see another human settlement.
Apparently that doesn't work. Never mind the fact that the locals would make mincemeat out of the newcomers.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Spocky wrote:We live in the vast province of BC! I'm not saying move the animals to Brenda Mines where they can saunter right back! There are hundreds of square miles in this province that likely have never seen a human footprint! The relocation of cougars and bears could be done in these remote areas where they'd never have a chance to see another human settlement.

Shooting these noble and beautiful creatures is wrong. There are alternatives to a bullet which will keep people just as safe.

1) How the hell do you get them out to these remote places? And again, it they so desire they can travel long distances, making it all a waste of effort

2) Wherever you move them to would likely already contain cougars, that now have to compete with these newcomers for food. So chances are one of them will starve anyways.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Spocky wrote:We live in the vast province of BC! I'm not saying move the animals to Brenda Mines where they can saunter right back! There are hundreds of square miles in this province that likely have never seen a human footprint! The relocation of cougars and bears could be done in these remote areas where they'd never have a chance to see another human settlement.

Won't work.

Drop cougar in another cougar's territory - dead cougar.

Drop bear in another bear's territory - dead bear.

The cougars are down with the deer now. Move a cougar to a remote spot and it will start starving immediately because a.) the snow is too deep for them to hunt and b.) there are no game animals in the remote areas at this time of year because of the snow pack. That starving cougar will do what it can to get back down here where the deer are. Hunger is a powerful force in nature. And, he's going to kill the first thing he finds, and that very well may be your kid, or YOU.

Maybe you should watch the video of the half-eaten family dog that the COs recovered from the cat's lair under an old travel trailer in that lady's back yard. Might wake you up to the reality of a hungry, 150 pound killing machine.

There are no conservation concerns with either cougar or bear in BC. Populations are at or near all-time highs.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

We live in the vast province of BC! I'm not saying move the animals to Brenda Mines where they can saunter right back! There are hundreds of square miles in this province that likely have never seen a human footprint! The relocation of cougars and bears could be done in these remote areas where they'd never have a chance to see another human settlement.

Won't work.

Drop cougar in another cougar's territory - dead cougar.

Drop bear in another bear's territory - dead bear.

The cougars are down with the deer now. Move a cougar to a remote spot and it will start starving immediately because a.) the snow is too deep for them to hunt and b.) there are no game animals in the remote areas at this time of year because of the snow pack. That starving cougar will do what it can to get back down here where the deer are. Hunger is a powerful force in nature. And, he's going to kill the first thing he finds, and that very well may be your kid, or YOU.

Maybe you should watch the video of the half-eaten family dog that the COs recovered from the cat's lair under an old travel trailer in that lady's back yard. Might wake you up to the reality of a hungry, 150 pound killing machine.

There are no conservation concerns with either cougar or bear in BC. Populations are at or near all-time highs.[/quote]

I agree with Spooky BUT Rwede has a valid point.I think the reason these two beautiful cougars were killed is because its quick,its easy and its cheap. there is a ton of places in the mara enderby area these guys could have been relocated .Tons
obviously U have to understand snow pack and game areas etc but is that not what the whole conservation system is suppossed to know and recognize? like I said Quick,cheap and easy to just kill em.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

How would you propose to retrain these cougars? They were not afraid of people. And what makes you think relocation was an option when it hasn't worked in the past?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It doesn't make sense to relocate a dangerous animal just to let it suffer. Certainly Mara/Enderby wouldn't be a good location considering the livestock in the area and the Kingfisher Creek Ecological Reserve.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

I've removed some pretty silly taunts and responses. Keep it on topic and try not to resort to silliness.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Pet-eating cougars killed

Post by baconbits »

How about some pet owners take responsibility for their pets if you know you're neighbors pet got killed, probably a good idea to keep your's inside for a few days, wild animals will eventualy move out of an area if there is no source for food.

It's the same idiots who are careless with their garbage when it is known that there are wild animals in the area.

Same end result, the wild animal usual gets killed because it's habituated

I think these people should be fined!!!!!!!!!!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

For letting their dog out in their own yard? Cougar would likely go on to livestock.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Fancy wrote:For letting their dog out in their own yard? Cougar would likely go on to livestock.

Or Kids.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Bacon, I agree about people that leave animal attractants out. But walking with your dog out your front door so he can take a pee, then have a cougar pounce on him and kill him 20 feet in front of you, is pretty horrific, and is indicative of an habituated, aggressive cat that has no hope of living a normal life.

The Bear Aware program was great in reducing wildlife/human conflicts, but our foolish local municipal governments stopped funding it in the Okanagan, and now we in the Okanagan are number 1 in the province for problem wildlife complaints.

Please contact your city council and regional district and let them know you want the BA program brought back. It would save a lot of wildlife from being put down due to public safety concerns, and save us taxes in the long run.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

baconbits wrote:How about some pet owners take responsibility for their pets if you know you're neighbors pet got killed, probably a good idea to keep your's inside for a few days, wild animals will eventualy move out of an area if there is no source for food.

It's the same idiots who are careless with their garbage when it is known that there are wild animals in the area.

Same end result, the wild animal usual gets killed because it's habituated

I think these people should be fined!!!!!!!!!!!

Completely agree with you except the part about fining them.
They have paid the ultimate price with the death of their pets.
Hopefully they will not make the same mistakes with another pet.
Sad way to learn and awful for all the animals involved.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Fancy wrote:How would you propose to retrain these cougars? They were not afraid of people. And what makes you think relocation was an option when it hasn't worked in the past?

sorry I was not aware these cougars had been relocated already before this deal? how did u know it was the same cougars?

Return to “Central Okanagan”