Any good movies out there?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Any good movies out there?

Post by Poindexter »

We've started watching old TV series on netflix when all else fails. Watched the first two episodes of Knight Rider as a laugh and was suprised at how entertaining it was. A 10 on the cheese factor but a fun watch. Love the tech they put in K.I.T.T., stuff we thought might be possible in the early 80's, such an optimistic era. :127:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

well they figured in the 50's we'd be in flying cars. Someone owes me a jetpack!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm three episodes into a newer series called "Boss" with Kelsey Grammer in a role that marks a significant departure from his "clownier" stuff of the past. It's impressive so far. It's loaded with dysfunctional family dynamics and political intrigue, and Grammer himself doing a fine job playing a real *bleep* for a change.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Lady tehMa wrote:We just saw "Here Comes the Boom" - not a heavy movie by any means, but we enjoyed it.

I saw it, and it was crap. Though seeing slightly slimmer Kevin James was refreshing.

Good sideline thing to do (while being utterly bored) is pinpointing all King of Queens refugees.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Darn darn darn. I just finished episode 6 of the eight episode first season of Kelsey Grammar's "Boss" and I'm hooked. True to form in researching the release date for season 2 I find that the series was cancelled at the end of airing the second season. I seem to have an uncanny ability to fall in love with series that get cancelled in the middle of a multi-season story arc. Carnivale, Saving Grace, Caprica, the list goes on. It's a small comfort that they're talking about a made-for-TV movie to wind up dangling story-lines. Still, it's great viewing and you figure out right away why a best actor Golden Globe went to Grammer for his portrayal of the embroiled mayor of Chicago.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Networks just aren't giving series a chance these days.

Star Trek would have been cancelled in the first season too if the standards of today were applied back then.

Just read a good article in print talking about how the audience today is so fractured with so many choices that having an instant hit, or any hit, is almost impossible today.

Thank the internet.
Or, thank God for the internet.

Oh, and I'm loving River Monsters. It's not just about fishing. It's geography, ecology, geology, culture, history, species of all types, and Jeremy Wade tells a heck of a good story. His photographers really get the landscape too. The episodes featuring the Congo and the Amazon are killer.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Liquidnails wrote:I watched Flight Thursday evening. I really enjoyed it but I thought the ending was a little lame. Great acting by Denzel, and a pretty darn accurate portrayal of alcoholism and its related struggles. Excellent soundtrack too. I wouldn't be surprised if some sensitive folk would shut it off within the first few minutes. Their loss.

I watched it, and liked it too. Denzel is da bomb, great actor. Characters are shown very life-like, very disgusting.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Okay, just finished Season 1 of "Boss". Went through all eight episodes in the last three days, had a real hard time leaving it alone it's that good. Season 2 comes out on disc in April, you can bet I'll be first in line. Gripping drama. Watched a special feature after with Grammer and the writer/creator in discussion. The original idea grew out of Shakespeare's "King Lear".

Excellent viewing, both nipples fully erect on the fluff-o-meter.
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

This is a newer film. 2010 - Canadian.
Called "The beginners guide to endings".

Absolutely love it. Hope you enjoy.
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

-fluffy- wrote:Okay, just finished Season 1 of "Boss". Went through all eight episodes in the last three days, had a real hard time leaving it alone it's that good. Season 2 comes out on disc in April, you can bet I'll be first in line. Gripping drama. Watched a special feature after with Grammer and the writer/creator in discussion. The original idea grew out of Shakespeare's "King Lear".

Excellent viewing, should have hosted the Acadamy Awards.

It's been cancelled. Enjoy Season 2.

Byethebye,
We were completed giftwrapped in Dustin Hoffman's "Luck", and, after two seasons, it has been cut, as well.

- Happy Thursday :(.
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Wanted to add something available on Telus TV on DEMAND
It's called "the Beginners Guide to Endings" (Movie Network)
Worth the time.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Type_O wrote:Excellent viewing, should have hosted the Acadamy Awards.
It's been cancelled. Enjoy Season 2.

Heard that, but there's talk of a TV movie to wrap up dangling storylines.

Type_O wrote:Byethebye,
We were completed giftwrapped in Dustin Hoffman's "Luck", and, after two seasons, it has been cut, as well.

Great, I'll likely love it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just watched Dune for the first time.

OMIGOD, Star Wars meets Jules Verne meets Steampunk meets Clockwork Orange meets Twin Peaks.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Queen K wrote:Just watched Dune for the first time.

OMIGOD, Star Wars meets Jules Verne meets Steampunk meets Clockwork Orange meets Twin Peaks.

Which one, Queen K ? With the Twin Peaks reference I assume you saw the David Lynch effort with Kyle McLaughlin ? There were two made-for-TV mini-series made as well, "Dune" and the sequel "Children of Dune" that run about six hours each. If the story-line appealed to you, these longer versions go into a lot more detail and are pretty well put together. Keep an eye out for the DVDs when you're on the 2nd hand store circuit, or you can find them online if you do that sort of thing.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

A bit off topic perhaps, but if you really want to appreciate the effort Frank Herbert made in examining religion, politics, conspiracy and betrayal you really need to read the novels. Incredible stuff. Of course the books always tend to be better than the movies, but the Dune collection made me a Herbert fan (he produced a lot a great works and I've got a bit of a collection).

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”