Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Home of the traffic rant.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Re: Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Post by French Castanut »

This is a tv commercial currently running in Quebec, created by the SAAQ (ICBC equivalent). NO NEED to speak French to watch AND UNDERSTAND. Watch 'til the end.

Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

All the videos in the world don't do much for most offenders, unfortunately.
Your bias suits you.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Woodenhead wrote:All the videos in the world don't do much for most offenders, unfortunately.

Nope - the worst offenders just will not learn any lessons from articles, photos, or videos. They just don't care. It's a misguided case of "It'll never happen to me - I'm special, I can multitask, I can respond with superhuman speed" and a multitude of other excuses.

I think only two things will actually stop such people - the enforcement and the threat of exceedingly expensive fines, or a serious enough accident that they can directly attribute to their actions. I'd prefer option 1. Option 2 can involve innocent bystanders and that's totally uncool.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the police need to be in unmarked vehicles and joining the commute like everyone else. I could have arrested 2 people today if I was a cop. One guy driving a red Mustyang was in his 50's and had his reading glasses on the edge of his nose the whole ride in. Couldn't be more obvious.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Poindexter wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, the police need to be in unmarked vehicles and joining the commute like everyone else. I could have arrested 2 people today if I was a cop. One guy driving a red Mustyang was in his 50's and had his reading glasses on the edge of his nose the whole ride in. Couldn't be more obvious.

I think you'll find that there are police actively running campaigns and handing out tickets. I don't believe, however, that there is funding available to have a small army of officers driving around each and every day to check drivers and hand out tickets on a mass scale.

If you wanted to know what types and levels of enforcement are being pursued, perhaps you should ask an RCMP officer (you know there's a few around these forums).
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

36Drew wrote:[
I think you'll find that there are police actively running campaigns and handing out tickets. I don't believe, however, that there is funding available to have a small army of officers driving around each and every day to check drivers and hand out tickets on a mass scale.

If you wanted to know what types and levels of enforcement are being pursued, perhaps you should ask an RCMP officer (you know there's a few around these forums).

It would only take one officer a couple times a week to join the flow from the West Kelowna. Wouldn't be overwhelming at all. One thing I'd like to ask is if they even need to pull them over, which would give away thier vehicle. Just take the license plate number, take a pic with a camera mounted in back window, note time (the cell phone companies have the records if they dispute), then mail them a ticket. Just the knowledge that one of these vehicle is out there may be enough to curb abuse.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Amen poindexter. One f/t officer driving around in an unmarked truck would easily generate enough income to cover the cost. If it became known there was one out there looking for them, some people may change their attitudes about this.

Driving around this morning, I had one guy almost sideswipe me as he turned a corner too wide looking down at his phone, sat behind a lady for 10 seconds after the light turned green, then she glares at me for honking to git 'er going and about 6 other people I noticed using phones to one degree or another. This is an issue far surpassing drinking and driving because it is as dangerous but does not have the negative stigma of driving drunk.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Really laughable , We were at an intersection with two turn lanes . So three cars side by each. one on both sides with a cellphone clamped to their ear.
quagmaire
Fledgling

Post by quagmaire »

It's becoming a problem in the aircraft industry as well...

http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/02/pilo ... Sjpgldv7Cv
Giggidy, Giggidy

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

quagmaire wrote:It's becoming a problem in the aircraft industry as well...

http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/02/pilo ... Sjpgldv7Cv

I wonder how he likes being the Walmart greeter now?? Nice plane or was.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

here's an interesting article on the subject....
http://www.theprovince.com/technology/n ... story.html
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

How about the idiot that decided he was gonna use his phone to video record me, while driving no less. For what reason I have know idea. Illegally obtained evidence dum *bleep*.

Anyway, I can't figure out what you guys get all up in arms about, your concerns will be relegated to moot ness inside ten years. Gotta love tech progress.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

WhatThe wrote:How about the idiot that decided he was gonna use his phone to video record me, while driving no less. For what reason I have know idea. Illegally obtained evidence dum *bleep*.

Anyway, I can't figure out what you guys get all up in arms about, your concerns will be relegated to moot ness inside ten years. Gotta love tech progress.
Wow only 10 years more of abuse and addiction,accidents,deaths yep gotta love tech progress in the wrong hands :clueless:
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Funny how so many people don't like having so many rules about driving. No Drinking , no speeding , no drugs , no cell phones , = no fun.

Try this : go to youtube and search dashcam russia. It won't be long before you realize that rules are in fact good.

Saw a cop standing beside a bush with a radar gun on Alexis Park Drive in Vernon this morning , didn't even glance down at the speedo because I don't speed . The guy coming up behind me got flagged over. Maybe speeding , maybe cell phone , maybe no seat belt , don't know , don't care. Thank you for contributing to the provincial government buddy. Every little bit helps.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Combing back from the farmers market today,some stupid girl,eyes down texting,right beside transports on the Hwy just past Neighbours pub.Swerving,slowing down,speeding up.i was behind her and honked a few times. She just couldn't look away from her phone,even after a coupe of close calls.

Edit:it's Friends pub not Neighbors.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”