Goodbye Ironman

CTF
Fledgling

Re: Goodbye Ironman

Post by CTF »

mudlark wrote:I just bought and read the November issue of Triathlete Magazine, the foremost publication of the sport. Although numerous triathlons have placed ads for their upcoming events, such as the New York City Triathlon on July 1, 2013, there is not a word about Challenge Family or their events. For that matter, although I am no longer a regular reader of the magazine, I have never seen a Challenge Family article or ad in the magazine.

Triathletes typically start planning for their events that require travel plans well in advance. At what point is Challenge Family going to promote the race to North Americans. If they think the race can survive with European racers and locals, I don't think they will survive more than 2 or 3 years.

Perhaps Mayor Ashton will share with us the marketing plans for the event?

Those are some good ideas mudlark.. You should share them with the group who is looking after the Challenge Penticton triathlon. The more our community can come together with good ideas like this one the better our triathlon will be.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Didn't I read in the Herald that they just appointed a local organizer last week? I'm sure she'll get the ball rolling soon.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

How is the challenge going? are hotels booking up? have entries gone up?
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

The Penticton Herald reported on Monday April 22nd: "Challenge Penticton is looking for a $25,000 boost from the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen."
This is scary to me. The race is only 5 months away, and Challenge is already looking for money from the public trough. Any bets as to whether this will be the last time?
Wasn't this one of the reasons that Penticton City Council parted ways with Ironman?
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

mudlark wrote:The Penticton Herald reported on Monday April 22nd: "Challenge Penticton is looking for a $25,000 boost from the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen."
This is scary to me. The race is only 5 months away, and Challenge is already looking for money from the public trough. Any bets as to whether this will be the last time?
Wasn't this one of the reasons that Penticton City Council parted ways with Ironman?

It was a bad move getting rid of the ironman. It sounds as if the new one is turning out to be a headache and a flop.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yap. biggest mistake of all time getting rid of ironman, ran a few over the last 10 years, it was AWSOME.
these type of people sit behind there desks and make these type of decisions make me want to puke
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think I'm inclined to give them a little time to get it sorted out, it's a big change. The same article said they already have 1400 runners signed up and expect the tally to top out at 1500 to 1700. That's a respectable field for the first year under a new banner, Ironman came from pretty humble beginnings if I remember correctly, somewhere around a dozen runners.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

-fluffy- wrote:I think I'm inclined to give them a little time to get it sorted out, it's a big change. The same article said they already have 1400 runners signed up and expect the tally to top out at 1500 to 1700. That's a respectable field for the first year under a new banner, Ironman came from pretty humble beginnings if I remember correctly, somewhere around a dozen runners.

Hopefully it does workout....... everyone will know when resign up list happens for 2014. With Ironman those list were pretty well full within days, this will be the biggest indicator of success or failure.... IMO.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

If they can get $25K out of the RDOS instead of paying $100K to a US Corporate Logo in my mind that alone is worth celebration. I also agree with Fluffy - 1400 already signed up is positive. Let's not forget this race belongs to the community now so that is money that stays here instead of going to Florida. Wish some people would try to be more positive and not always so negative.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

mudlark wrote:The Penticton Herald reported on Monday April 22nd: "Challenge Penticton is looking for a $25,000 boost from the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen."

From my understanding the Ironman effectively wanted licensing fees, not help to run the event. That's a big difference IMO.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
3+141592

Post by 3+141592 »

I'll spend $25K in a heartbeat to get a $100K+ back :)
The question is therefore:
Do they have a proper cost/benefit analysis or flying by the seat of their pants?
This is something that either our Mayor or EDO should be able to answer.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

The name says it all it will be a challenge!
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

How many people competed in Ironman annually?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The last four years had participants numbering in the 2600 range.

Return to “Central Okanagan”