Firefly on Netflix

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Firefly on Netflix

Post by Mama »

Ok, somewhere on here some of you were talking about how much you loved Firefly. So, netflix and I have been bonding...and OMG YA!! Only one season of this show? 2 episodes in and I am hooked. Why do all my fave shows get cancelled?
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: Firefly on netflix

Post by sooperphreek »

try tvlinks or EZ tv
juliatrops
Fledgling

Post by juliatrops »

I loved Firefly. It is crazy there was only one season of it. The ten year reunion of the cast was at Comic-Con last year (2012), who knows, maybe that reunion was to gauge how much interest there would be in a revival?

Serenity is the movie that came out in 2005 I think it was. Very much like the series, you will enjoy it I am sure.

Once you are done with Firefly, check out Farscape. It will take a few episodes perhaps to get in to it, and it is a bit hokey as well, but so much fun to watch. You might recognize a few actors from Stargate SG1 (another good series). Farscape is not on Canadian netflix, but I believe it is on the US one so you might have to buy the disks, or see if the library has it. SG1 is on the Canadian Netflix for sure.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We've got two more episodes left of Outcasts. It's a sci-fi adventure series which was cancelled fairly quickly. A projection of just what would happen if humans had to populate one of those thousands of Earth like planets being found all the time.

Another one is 4400.

Up-to-date. With it fantasy about what would happen if 4400 disappeared people suddenly came back.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

I will look for Farscape, thanks. And will look for Serenity the movie this weekend. I dont see Firefly being brought back with the same actors as they all have some pretty good gigs going right now. But that Joss Wheaton kid is starting to leave some big footprints...fingers crossed.
I do watch SG1, love it. Its older, and corny, but Jack just cracks me up.
Thanks Queen K, I will look at outcasts as well.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

SG1 is on netflix?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just to warn you Mama, Outcasts was panned for the worst acting, EVER. I liked it for the landscapes and certain characters.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Mama
Lord of the Board

Re: Firefly on Netflix

Post by Mama »

LOL@ QueenK
Fancy, yes. 10 seasons of SG1 on netflix
Watched Serenity, so glad I did. Really helped end the series. But still wish there were more seasons.
juliatrops
Fledgling

Post by juliatrops »

Netflix might not have Farscape anymore. I think I saw the legal agreement was up on Jan 1. We just tried to do the US VPN for a week through Unblock us, but did not see Farscape on the US Netflix either. It is very possible it is there though.

Yes, SG1 is on Netflix. It says only 100 episodes along the top line, but what I found was that it will "show" 100 episodes, but as you go through them, the entire ten seasons will show up. The references to MacGyver are funny, and if you haven't seen #100 and #200, do watch. They are fun parodies on the show and sci fi shows in general. #200 also has a reference to Farscape... "an obscure unsuccessful show".... with Claudia Black and Ben Browder reprising their roles. So much fun.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Good sci-fi is expensive to produce, and sadly many decent series have suffered the same fate as Firefly. It's too bad in this case as the series was unique in it's mating of sci-fi with aspects of traditional westerns and had an appeal all its own.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

If memory serves me correctly, I had heard that even though Firefly had a good fan base and was even admired by critics, their network kept shuffling around their time slot, so consequently, no one was watching the show. Essentially, the network killed it's best prospect.

I believe Josh Wheadon had made "Serenity" to be a stand-alone show, but it made more sense if you knew the background story of the characters and of the
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Phoenix Within wrote:I believe Josh Wheadon had made "Serenity" to be a stand-alone show, but it made more sense if you knew the background story of the characters and of the

I think there was also some intent to answer a few lingering questions the series never got the chance to address, in particular some of River's history. The fan base still lingers today, and in some impressive strength. I saw a Joss Whedon interview once where when asked the perennial question about Firefly returning he answered "At what point does life support become necrophelia ?" The show was a darling of his to be sure, but business is business.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

-fluffy- wrote:The fan base still lingers today, and in some impressive strength.

Our beloved communication theory guru, Marshal McLuhan, would probably find the way the series ended was very cool. And maybe that’s why our ‘mind candy’ thoughts and discussions continue.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Joss Whedon on a new Firefly: "When does love become necrophilia?"
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”