Netflix

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
weatherloach

Netflix

Post by weatherloach »

I have a paid netflix account and someone told me there is a way to access US netflix with a paid Canadian account but i can't figure it out. Can anyone help???
Scadam
Übergod

Re: netflix

Post by Scadam »

I use unotelly.com

It's the simplest solution to set up (punch in some dns numbers) and it has a free trial which doesn't require a credit card.
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

blockless.com appears to be the same price for a no contract sign up ($5/mo). I use that one without any issues.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

There was a thread about it, search for it.

I tried it, it worked but I couldn't stand how slow it was.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

Captain Awesome wrote:There was a thread about it, search for it.

I tried it, it worked but I couldn't stand how slow it was.

You must have tried a VPN then. You should try one of the DNS based solutions; there is no overhead or slowdown.
dwaynem

Post by dwaynem »

The easiest and free method of accessing Netflix US content is to use Hola Unblocker assuming you're using a device that is supported. http://hola.org

Of course the terms and conditions that you agreed to with Netflix is up to you to choose to ignore ;)
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Would that hola allow a person to access video clips from US Network stations that are blocked to Canadians?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

dwaynem wrote:The easiest and free method of accessing Netflix US content is to use Hola Unblocker assuming you're using a device that is supported. http://hola.org

Of course the terms and conditions that you agreed to with Netflix is up to you to choose to ignore ;)

I just took a quick look at it and I'd be incredibly leery of installing this... First it won't work for me anyway - it is a browser/phone addon and not usable with a media player or ps3, which we use. But what concerns me most is that this is a glorified p2p network. It's similar to a bittorrent or bearshare or limewire client - it talks about being more like a TOR network then glosses over the fact that all content is stored on machines which are part of the network (you, and anyone else with hola installed).

There is little detail about data usage (as in uploading, what ISPs hate and like to charge us for), but it is clear that it uses no servers and instead stores copies of whatever you've watched on your machine and you become a peer on the network sending it to others. No info on how/when you are uploading, aside from a comment about being "online and idle", so for me that would be any time I'm not physically in front of my PC. Nothing at all about how much you will upload - is there a ratio system, does that content stay on your machine seeding forever?? The only detail the FAQ gives is that in the phone/android version it only treats you as a peer when connected to power and wifi... so reading between the lines any home computer using would always a peer. Not to mention how much space it will decide I can donate to store these files on MY computer.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

P2P tells me all I want to know. Thanks.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

On a ps3/Xbox/wii all you have to do is add a us ip. Google it and view one of the YouTube walktroughs. Took me 4 mn to set up. And yes it is way better .
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

VPN (quite cheap)

or get into a top-level private torrent site.
Your bias suits you.
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

Changing your IP means it is also a VPN solution. That isn't the best way and introduces slowdowns and overhead; it's the sledgehammer approach.

Look for a DNS solution if you want the streaming content but not no slowdowns or middleman. It makes no difference where your DNS requests are sent, but using a US-streaming-friendly DNS server lets you spoof a US IP for streaming conent, all other DNS requests are passed on unchanged, and all other IP trafic is unchanged.

Private torrent sites are cool. I'm on three, and I can download whatever I want at max bandwidth. But it still pales in comparison to Netflix. I'm watching 24 right now and it's a lot more convenient to sit on my couch and browse to pick an episode and have it playing in 1080p instantly, than to sit at my PC to find full seasons, download them, copy them around, maybe some renames and covers, then use the media player to watch them, and delete or store them when done. Even the interface is superior on netflix - they've invested hugely in it, far beyond the budget of any media player company, so aside from the hassle of getting the content, the playback is a nicer experience to boot.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Yeah, DNS solutions work well too. (I'm already on a VPN for a few reasons, so it's the first thing that came to mind. No slowdowns here, to boot)

Netflix is awesome, but I still prefer P2P for the price. :wink: (Note: I don't follow any TV shows or watch many movies)
Your bias suits you.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Scadam wrote:Changing your IP means it is also a VPN solution. That isn't the best way and introduces slowdowns and overhead; it's the sledgehammer approach.

Look for a DNS solution if you want the streaming content but not no slowdowns or middleman. It makes no difference where your DNS requests are sent, but using a US-streaming-friendly DNS server lets you spoof a US IP for streaming conent, all other DNS requests are passed on unchanged, and all other IP trafic is unchanged.

Private torrent sites are cool. I'm on three, and I can download whatever I want at max bandwidth. But it still pales in comparison to Netflix. I'm watching 24 right now and it's a lot more convenient to sit on my couch and browse to pick an episode and have it playing in 1080p instantly, than to sit at my PC to find full seasons, download them, copy them around, maybe some renames and covers, then use the media player to watch them, and delete or store them when done. Even the interface is superior on netflix - they've invested hugely in it, far beyond the budget of any media player company, so aside from the hassle of getting the content, the playback is a nicer experience to boot.

Howso? I hate the Netflix interface, it would nice if there was a "browse by" option, instead of just seeing their lists or searching.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Netflix Canada was good until I've watch everything that interest me, its a shame that content is no the same of US counterpart.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”