Aircraft crash

Nahaatik

Re: Aircraft crash

Post by Nahaatik »

It's an airport, of course only people with airplanes use it. Shall we open it up to people with skateboards too?

Using this silly line of thinking there is nothing that is public. Parks must all be private too, only people with feet can use them.

Roads.....people with only cars? If you don't have a car I guarantee you will still pay for roads.

If you can't think of any way that the airport benefits the community then you are not very creative.

BTW look up the terms landing fees, hanger rentals, fuel taxes, blah blah blah.

And yes, the taxpayers help to pay for lots of things, hence the word "public".

geeez
Doug Ferguson

Post by Doug Ferguson »

It looks like Vernon Airport had another lucky crash, even though this aircraft crashed into an elementary school playground, nobody was badly hurt. I still think it would be a good idea to move the airport out of town where incidents like these don't have to happen in a populated area. I know the pilots like to be close to the airport, but a short drive out of town for the safety of the people of Vernon isn't much to ask. If the airport moved away, there would be a chance that the waterfront project could possibly move forward.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Doug Ferguson wrote:I know the pilots like to be close to the airport, but a short drive out of town for the safety of the people of Vernon isn't much to ask. If the airport moved away, there would be a chance that the waterfront project could possibly move forward.

The airport has been there since WW2 ... Fulton and Ellison have only been there since the mid 90s ... don't see why the airport should have to pack up and leave ... its a good location from an aviation point of view.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

The vehicle that crashed is that "Flying Car", I wonder what ICBC charges for flying cars.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Not sure that this is the appropriate thread to be discussing today's "crash" . I think that crash might be a bit of a strong word for something that has a gigantic parachute.
Nobody is gonna believe this , and I don't expect anyone to , however I drove past the airport at 6:45 this morning as they were unloading the flying car out of a trailer. As I drove by , I had 2 thoughts. 1) Car in trailer might be a bit large to be pulled by a dodge minivan. 2) I wonder how long before the thing goes down.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

gordon_as wrote:Nobody is gonna believe this , and I don't expect anyone to , however I drove past the airport at 6:45 this morning as they were unloading the flying car out of a trailer. As I drove by , I had 2 thoughts. 1) Car in trailer might be a bit large to be pulled by a dodge minivan. 2) I wonder how long before the thing goes down.

I drove by there just after 7 and he was parked outside the trailer .... never paid attention to what was pulling it though LOL! Saw him flying around a bit later.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I didn't want to comment about Shitty-Shitty-bang-bang.

The last near crash shown on TV I thought it won't be long. You couldn't pay me enough to be a passenger in that vehicle.

I am wondering, will this be covered by ICBC???

The drawing board should be scrapped as a bad idea before someone is slammed into a playpark.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Ken7 wrote:I didn't want to comment about Shitty-Shitty-bang-bang.

The last near crash shown on TV I thought it won't be long. You couldn't pay me enough to be a passenger in that vehicle.

I am wondering, will this be covered by ICBC???

The drawing board should be scrapped as a bad idea before someone is slammed into a playpark.

Its no different than a paraglider - just a larger cockpit. As for the insurance, I'm assuming ICBC would only cover the vehicle on the ground, if its insured in BC. In the air it would have aircraft insurance.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I saw that flying car in Vernon a few weeks ago. Looked very dodgy to me. No way I would be caught dead in it.
Doug Ferguson

Post by Doug Ferguson »

The airport has been there since WW2 ... Fulton and Ellison have only been there since the mid 90s ... don't see why the airport should have to pack up and leave ... its a good location from an aviation point of view.[/quote]

I don't understand why this is a good location from an aviation point of view, is it because aircraft take off or land over populated areas or is it because pilots live close to the airport and can get there to go for a flight in a timely manor?
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

This is classified as a powered paraglider or ultralite. A paraglider can also be flown without a motor using a harness. Also ICBC will have nothing to do with it.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Doug Ferguson wrote:The airport has been there since WW2 ... Fulton and Ellison have only been there since the mid 90s ... don't see why the airport should have to pack up and leave ... its a good location from an aviation point of view.

I don't understand why this is a good location from an aviation point of view, is it because aircraft take off or land over populated areas or is it because pilots live close to the airport and can get there to go for a flight in a timely manor?[/quote]

wide valley and predictable winds.
Where do you recommend they move it to?
Doug Ferguson

Post by Doug Ferguson »

wide valley and predictable winds.
Where do you recommend they move it to?[/quote]

I think a great place would be at the end of Swan lake,it's a registered float plane lake, the train tracks pass by this area and it's not in the city. It's also close to the highway to Kamloops and Salmon arm.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Doug Ferguson wrote:I think a great place would be at the end of Swan lake,it's a registered float plane lake, the train tracks pass by this area and it's not in the city. It's also close to the highway to Kamloops and Salmon arm.

I'm assuming you mean the North End? Problem number 1 is that its all private land (I'm not sure if its ALR or not though), problem number 2 is that it would require extensive work to flatten the area before they even layed down a foot of asphalt, problem number 3 is the obvious ... $$$ and who's gonna pay for it, problem number 4 is that eventually that area will become populated as well and it'll all start all over again.
Doug Ferguson

Post by Doug Ferguson »

I'm assuming you mean the North End? Problem number 1 is that its all private land (I'm not sure if its ALR or not though), problem number 2 is that it would require extensive work to flatten the area before they even layed down a foot of asphalt, problem number 3 is the obvious ... $$$ and who's gonna pay for it, problem number 4 is that eventually that area will become populated as well and it'll all start all over again.[/quote]

#1, The airport seems to be able to get land out of ALR ( land across Tronson) #2 of course it would take work to build a runway, but the land is flat. The amount of money the city could get for the land the airport is on could be very large. #4 they could possibly plan for the future and buy enough land for the airport, see what Kelowna has done!!.

Return to “Central Okanagan”