Investing for Financial Freedom

The Riposte & Parry is a private forum for serious discussions.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Investing for Financial Freedom

Post by Captain Awesome »

Static wrote:What did you pay for it?

I bought it at $60.68, it's sitting at $72.48.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

You could sell it then buy it back
On a dip. On the charts it at the upper trading range.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

GoStumpy wrote:Homeowner,

I am currently putting some $$$ (not nearly maxxing out, but plan to be once debts are paid off) into TFSA & RRSP Mutual Funds through TD, picking the TD Dividend Growth ( https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/Download/TDB972E.pdf ) which has averaged return of 7.7%. I am 27, and plan to use this TFSA and RRSP as retirement only, saving for ~40 years.

Before we go any further, I can tell you are not a fan of mutual funds, but I do believe they're better than nothing!

Moving forward, I have been listening to a few financial podcasts, and have been hearing very good things about long-term investing in the S&P500.

Do you have any opinions or information on the S&P500?

I am a complete newb to investing, and until now I thought mutual funds were pretty much the only thing....

Thanks!!

Sorry I never got back to you earlier. First India, then the Caribbean, so I've been away from the forum.

Sounds like you are on a good track, especially considering your age. My only caveat about RRSPs is that you need to be in a tax bracket that makes contributions worthwhile. TFSAs are a no-brainer.

You are right I don't like mutual funds. Almost all have excessive fees and don't really perform well, and most people with an interest in investing can do so, and do better, in individual stocks or ETFs and pocket the fees. I like dividend-paying stocks for the short and long-term if you are prepared to do a little homework on the ones you wish to buy. I don't churn my accounts, just watch individual holdings for serious underperformance and new opportunities. You asked about the SP500. It's probably a better bet this year than the TSX, and any buying I'm currently doing is in the US.

Don't worry too much about outperforming the market's long-term returns. You probably won't and probably don't need to, and will sleep better not trying to. I started investing about 25 years ago, retired five years ago at age 52, and have no financial concerns. I'm sure my health will run out long before our money does, and with any luck you'll be in the same situation. Investing is not complicated. But do put together a financial plan to ensure all your bases are covered and you know where you are going and how you will get there.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Captain Awesome wrote:Should I sell Pepsico? It's at 52-week high. P/E getting into 20 zone.

If you can find a better opportunity elsewhere, yes. Otherwise, take comfort knowing it will probably head higher.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

There are better oppurtunities than Pepsi. The yield is not very competitive, and the dollar will most likely way into your returns. Try to keep funds in Canada.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Yay, my first stock pick that doubled!

Bank of America, took about 14 months.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Don't bet on RE equity for your retirement.

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21578043-our-latest-round-up-house-prices-reveals-some-sharp-contrasts-boom-and-gloom

"On this basis Canada’s market is especially vulnerable. A large bubble now looks set to burst. Home sales in March were 15% down on a year earlier. Buyers are in short supply. A recent poll showed that only 15% of Canadians are likely to buy a home in the next two years, down from 27% last year—the steepest decline in the 20-year history of the survey. After a big boom, the housing bust will be a wrenching affair."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain Awesome wrote:Yay, my first stock pick that doubled!

Bank of America, took about 14 months.

My first to double took about 10 months, but only because it split. Telus is awesome (even though I hate them).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I've got Telus and Bell.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Captain Awesome wrote:Yay, my first stock pick that doubled!

You're doing something seriously wrong then.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Static wrote:You're doing something seriously wrong then.

Do explain.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Captain Awesome wrote:Do explain.

Was that the first stock you have ever owned that has doubled?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Static wrote:Was that the first stock you have ever owned that has doubled?

Correct.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Then you are doing something wrong. There are many stocks that double in price every 5-7 years (maximum) because they are able to raise the price of their product or service resulting in growing profits. Profits is the only thing that will drive a stock overtime, nothing else. Of the 12 stocks in my portfolio, the average return is 110% with an average holding period of 5.5 years. My past trades average 19.7% annually with an average holding period of less than 2 years.

Return to “Riposte & Parry”