Review: Windows 8 “Inherently user-hostile”

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Review: Windows 8 “Inherently user-hostile”

Post by rekabis »

I was floored at how accurate this video is. Windows 8 is set to be the biggest user-mess that Microsoft has ever released. Bigger than Vista, bigger than Windows ME, bigger even than Windows 1.0.

I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Re: Review: Windows 8 “Inherently user-hostile”

Post by Phoenix Within »

thanks for the video. I still have to finish watching it, but I nearly fell of my chair laughing around 1:40 when he started talking about "testing" and GLaDOS popped out!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

This guy talks like he's an expert with computers, but if he seriously didn't know how to get to the control panel, and that was difficult to find out, then he's an imbecile, or a liar.

I've been using 8 for over 6 months now, and it's pretty much the same thing as 7 with a friend called Metro UI just kind of sitting there waiting to be used. There are slight differences here and there for sure, but they key word is they are different.

The guy literally says DOS IS EASIER TO USE THAN WINDOWS 8.

Anyways, it's a waste of time to watch. The guy presents so few examples and spends the rest of his time making bad jokes. I'll admit Windows 8 has it's problems, like the hidden corner-triggers and the email-user accounts fiasco but regardless of that it is pretty much the same thing as Windows 7 if you stay away from the Metro side of things.
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

I agree StraitTalk. I have been using Windows 8 for a couple of months now. While I feel it's a little different, after a week or two of using it, it's no big deal.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Watching this video is a waste of time.

Spoiler: 20 minutes into it he admits he's basing his review on using Windows 8 for only 30 minutes.

It seems he spent more time creating this video than he did actually using Windows 8.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Not worth the time to watch. I'm sure Win8 will improve with time and it's not that bad now.
Very poor attempt at at dissing the product.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I don't have it yet, and actually not sure I'll even bother to get it, given that my history of skipping a version has panned out quite well so far. I'm not too keen on paying to be a guinea pig simply so that Bill Gates can add another mansion to his collection.

My thoughts on it though, are that if indeed the design is not such that navigation is intuitive, then they would have blown it.

I have a number of people getting up in years, who simply have no desire to completely relearn how to use a computer. As far as I'm concerned, if the goal of Microsoft, was to target the touch screen market, then by all means create a version of windows that addresses them, but leave the regular user out of the equation. Give them something familiar and still aimed at basic desktops. The one size fits all model doesn't cut it to my thinking.

The eighty year olds are not too likely to run out and purchase touch screens, when all they wish to do is surf a bit, read emails, and play poker. If even part of what that person said about Win8 is true then Microsoft should reconsider their next move.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'm still on Vista, and it works just fine for me. Though I felt that Vista is very "user hostile" but in reality you get used to things in couple of days and there's no more need for drama displayed in that video.

And he sounds like a Mac nerd.

And we all know Mac sucks.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

and here we go........... :127:
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Oh My God...couldn't go through that video after 8 minutes and had to stop there.

No wonder the guy is a "free lance writer" because the company he used to work for probably dropped him like a bad habit. Like come-on. I think he said he used it for 30 days and he still can figure out the system? Then my friend you have some issues with computers.

First of all hes talking about the computer doing some strange things that I have NEVER and EVER encountered with windows 8. So I can not relate to that. but also at the point where I stopped is that he couldn't figure out the gestures or swiping on the pad vs touch-pad. Windows 8 is really meant to be used on a touchscreen/tablet. They are trying to reinvent how people use a computer and be almost like one with a computer. If some one cant afford a touch screen computer then the touch-pad and mouse use is not too difficult.

Also the thing about the "Metro" interface which is not called metro anymore but called the "Windows 8 Interface" (Castanet calls it) because of a lawsuit that happened and Windows had to change it. I still call it metro but as a pro freelance writer he should know the right names for things. Anyways about the metro interface its been redesigned so instead of going to the start menu then looking for your programs....Its all laid out right there. you can also group them to different sections depending on your needs. Pretty handy. The Metro interface also is there for more than probably and only my guess and opinion of 95% of all users of windows use everything in that first page. If that program happens to jump into the desktop portion of the operating system then all you click on is the windows key...bam back to the metro ui. not too hard.

I find it works just as well as Windows 7 and yes it placed things in different areas from windows 7 but then again windows 7 is different from XP and hey...im using windows Vista..and I have had no problems with it.

But hand it to Windows that they are trying something different and daring and not like the Mac that is stagnant with their Operating system as well as their hardware. You have to realize that Mac is hardware company and not a software company and that how they make their money on their hardware. And so far their hardware all looks the same for the last few years and its starting to get boring and their Glorified Linux/Unix operating system is getting pretty boring as well. Windows is a software company that is trying to change things up.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

FYI, if you are interested in windows 8....if not then feel free to ignore this :127:

better hurry, if you want windows 8 or windows 8 pro at the introductory prices, they are apparently going up in February.

Windows 8 Pricing After Jan. 31:
Windows 8 Pro upgrade edition (for Windows 7, Vista and XP users): $199.99
Windows 8 upgrade edition (for Windows 7, Vista and XP users): $119.99
Windows 8 Pro Pack (for Windows 8 users): $99.99
Windows 8 Media Center Pack (for Windows 8 Pro users): $9.99
Windows 8 System Builder (for DIY PC builders): $100-$165

get windows 8 pro now for $39.99 at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... _Null_02EP

windows 8 media center is currently free at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ture-packs
--you have to scroll down a little to where it says "For a limited time, get Windows 8 Media Center Pack for free **", then enter your email and enter the captcha code.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

So my PC is getting long in the tooth, and I figured I'd better go see what's out there. I go into one of the local big box stores, and all I see is windows 8. I asked the salesman if I could get one in windows 7 (which would be an upgrade for me). Nope, all they have now is windows 8 units. And the salesman tells me that if they did have windows 7 PCs - they'd be 70% of the units sold.

So I say ok, let me try one with windows 8 out for a few minutes.

The result - I walked out not buying one. If I want to buy a smart phone, or a tablet, I'll buy one. I wanted to buy a PC - not a tablet/smartphone/pc mish-mash. Potential $800 sale out the windows (pun intended). And apparently I'm not alone: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/153111-windows-8-causes-most-precipitous-pc-decline-in-history

So now my plan is simple, I'll just fix what I have. Even if it needs a new motherboard. Won't be cheaper - but at least I can keep the operating system style I like.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Takes a little getting used to but nothing major wrong with it. If you were not on Win 7 before it would be a big jump to 8.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

you simply go into "desktop" mode and you are back to windows 7 like interface.

windows 8.1 is coming soon and it apparently has a taskbar fix where you can automatically boot into the desktop and avoid the metro interface completely.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Not really a big deal. One click and you are in desktop mode as well as if you are using sleep mode it wakes to where you left it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”