Euthanizing - Kittens & Puppies

All about your pets. Bring kibble. And bits.

Do you agree with euthanizing/aborting unwanted puppies and kittens?

Poll ended at Jul 16th, 2013, 11:05 am

No.
29%
Yes.
25%
Absolutely not, pets have feelings too.
4%
I’m fine with it; there are too many unwanted pets in this world as it is.
29%
I don’t really care what they do; these are animals, not people.
8%
Whoa! I didn’t even know that was done.
4%

Total votes: 24

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Euthanizing - Kittens & Puppies

Post by Glacier »

kgcayenne wrote:...ya learn something new every day.

When a female cat is spayed, do they remove everything? If so, it would be interesting to know how much more complex the procedure is if there is a litter in gestation and if it's more harmful to the animal than spaying after terminating.

My vet friend tells me that he always takes everything out because it reduces the chances of getting cancer (namely of the parts no longer there).

As for aborting animals, killing animals is pretty normal behavior in society. Even PETA euthanizes unwanted animals post-birth. I've never really given it any thought before when it comes to pregnant animals, but I would assume it is done. I'll have to ask my vet friend.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
crysmom

Re: Euthanizing - Kittens & Puppies

Post by crysmom »

cats are often spayed while pregnant, I have had lots of people tell me the vet told them that their kitty was pregnant already when the vet spayed the cat. Cats go into heat super quick after giving birth and if left unchecked are frequently pregnant right after weaning the kittens.

When we spayed our cat after having kittens, the vet wouldn't do it until the cat had stopped nursing, so I can imagine for people who aren't careful about their cat getting out, its very likely they would be pregnant before being spayed

Return to “The Pet Lounge”