Like you never saw this coming....

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
juz516
Board Meister

Re: Like you never saw this coming....

Post by juz516 »

Absolutely nothing....the problem comes in when they think they have to convince everyone around them to believe what they believe. I have total respect for anyone, no matter what they believe, providing they do not push it on me. Grew up with a grandparent that did that...that was plenty.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

normaM wrote:of course you care GF, care so much you can't hush
Now, I don't care about cats, so I don't post about cats
Don't care about the fires, so I don't post in that thread
whenever ppl are so all over saying how they " don't care" yet never shut up I think, hey you care wayyy more than you admit

NormaM doesnt care about cats, yet I worship them.
Hail to the kitties. All glory and praise be to the fellow feline.
Whats god to one is dog to the dyslexic.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Dog is mans best friend.
Religion is mans biggest failure.
Black Dogs Matter
cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

Babbitman wrote:NormaM doesnt care about cats, yet I worship them.
Hail to the kitties. All glory and praise be to the fellow feline.
Whats god to one is dog to the dyslexic.

Cats have never got over being worshiped as gods in Egypt thousands of years ago. If you have any doubts about a cat's god complex, just watch them walk away from you.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

By the way - it isn't just atheists who tend to be anti-religion, many agnostics are also anti-religious.

I'll stick to my view that secularism is the friend of religious freedom.

Religious freedom comes with the responsibility that you have to allow the other person to believe what they want. I have no problem with religious groups having their doctrines et al, until they try to impose them on others.

If somebody wants to pray, meditate or whatever on their lunch break, if it doesn't coerce or harm others - so be it. But, if they start preempting public spaces in an organized way - that starts to cross the line. I don't believe that any religion should be permitted access to public schools. Rent space in hall down the block, fine, but not IN the school.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

hobbyguy wrote:By the way - it isn't just atheists who tend to be anti-religion, many agnostics are also anti-religious.

I'll stick to my view that secularism is the friend of religious freedom.

Religious freedom comes with the responsibility that you have to allow the other person to believe what they want. I have no problem with religious groups having their doctrines et al, until they try to impose them on others.

If somebody wants to pray, meditate or whatever on their lunch break, if it doesn't coerce or harm others - so be it. But, if they start preempting public spaces in an organized way - that starts to cross the line. I don't believe that any religion should be permitted access to public schools. Rent space in hall down the block, fine, but not IN the school.

Totally agree. But only 1 religion is under total attack in the Western world.

Have a look who wants to remove a Christian statue...

HELENA, Mont. – A lawsuit seeking the removal of a Jesus statue near a Montana ski resort will go on after a national group of atheists and agnostics produced a local member who says he is offended by the religious symbol whenever he swooshes down the slopes.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11 ... z2Dk5A6JWg
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

That lawsuit is just rubbish. I may not be a fan of religions but the thinking behind that lawsuit is dogmatic. I'm not offended driving past churches, or mosques or temples or synagogues. The "holier than thou" types that launch stuff like this really cheese me off.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Christian prayer used to be PART of school and that was a problem.

There are way more problems in the schools now then back then when Christian prayers and discipline were allowed.
Compare the kids of the 60's and 70's to the present. Christian prayer is not allowed here in Canada but the muslims can leave class to pray. That is discrimination. The persecution of Christians is well underway and one only needs to come into this forum as a Christian to see how true this is.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'd be more apt to write off the "persecution" you refer to in here as general intolerance against organized religion of all types, and spiritual beliefs in general. There are always those whose justification for their own beliefs is built around criticism of the beliefs of others. Of course Christianity, as the prevailing religion in our end of the planet, is going to catch the lions share of that sort of mindset. I also see a great deal of open-mindedness in here, and an indication that spiritual beliefs are not on the wane, but undergoing an evolution into something much more personal than many of the organized religions are able or willing to provide.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

binky11 wrote:
There are way more problems in the schools now then back then when Christian prayers and discipline were allowed.
Compare the kids of the 60's and 70's to the present. Christian prayer is not allowed here in Canada but the muslims can leave class to pray. That is discrimination. The persecution of Christians is well underway and one only needs to come into this forum as a Christian to see how true this is.

10/10 binky11!
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

averagejoe wrote:10/10 binky11!

Too funny. Perhaps it is payback for all the persecution of other religions by Christians over the past 2000 years.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

And you will also be on the receiving line too.

cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

averagejoe wrote:And you will also be on the receiving line too.

You have no idea. I have been on the receiving end of Christian bigotry. It only strengthened my faith.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

cliffy1 wrote:You have no idea. I have been on the receiving end of Christian bigotry. It only strengthened my faith.

If I remember right, you were a Christian and then took up the Pagan religion of Mother Earth. How were you at the "end of Christian bigotry"?

cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

averagejoe wrote:If I remember right, you were a Christian and then took up the Pagan religion of Mother Earth. How were you at the "end of Christian bigotry"?

Besides the usual attacks about being a pagan, I lost my wife and child when my born again in-laws convinced my wife I was a minion of Satan. Being told I'm going to burn for eternity because I don't believe in their BS and just general intolerance. But losing my son was the biggest hurt. The family hid him on me for over 15 years.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”