Bitcoin ATM

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
mandmgirl

Bitcoin ATM

Post by mandmgirl »

Does anyone know when there will be a Bitcoin ATM installed on Ellis Street like it was previously planned?
797hauler
Fledgling

Re: Bitcoin ATM

Post by 797hauler »

pay physical money for someone to give you digital money. makes sense.

cant wait till bitcoin collapses and everybody goes broke once there system fails, or they shut it down and everybody is trading digital non sense while the founders are sitting in the tropics sipping refreshments and tipping the server with your physical cash.
tommythecat
Fledgling

Post by tommythecat »

I think they we're asking about the ATM, not your thoughts on bitcoins in general, start another thread!
Positive energy activates constant elevation
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

boardsweeper wrote:pay physical money for someone to give you digital money. makes sense.

cant wait till bitcoin collapses and everybody goes broke once there system fails, or they shut it down and everybody is trading digital non sense while the founders are sitting in the tropics sipping refreshments and tipping the server with your physical cash.

What a compelling argument you raise. You seem like an expert on the subject; care to enlighten us?

As to the original topic. I've heard through the grapevine that the announcement was met with little acclaim which may have something to do with the delay.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

This is a great podcast on Bitcoin. I almost understand how it works now. Language warning.

"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

OH I KNEW IT!!!

http://www.castanet.net/news/Business/1 ... l-currency

Just a matter of time before the whole thing goes under.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

CEO of Bitcoin found dead.

Suicide, they say.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://globalnews.ca/news/1190839/ameri ... singapore/

She's only 28 and supposedly had a link on her facebook profile about depression and what has it's price.

Just worth noting then, be careful on what you put on your Linkedin, facebook profile and other such sites.

It is interesting to read comments from others below the article too. Nine bankers have committed suicide in the past year. NINE? What is going on and what do they know?

http://intellihub.com/8th-international ... ing-china/
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... burger_bar
Did the “Bitcoin CEO” Just Commit Suicide? Not So Fast.
By Will Oremus

The news leapt out at me from my Twitter stream: “Bitcoin CEO Found Dead of Possible Suicide in Singapore.”

The headline is all too easy to believe, and to assimilate into the story of bitcoin as an experiment gone tragically awry. Last week, the implosion of leading bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox left investors in the crypto-currency feeling robbed, disillusioned, and angry. Now, it seemed, one of the people responsible was falling on his or her sword.

Not so fast, please. This story is not nearly as clear-cut as the media are making it seem.

First of all, bitcoin doesn’t have a CEO. It’s a crypto-currency, not a company. The young woman in question was actually the head of the Singapore-based startup First Meta. According to its website, First Meta was founded in 2007, and its claim to fame was creating the first virtual credit card for the then-popular online game Second Life. Today it functions as one of many online marketplaces for bitcoin and a slew of other virtual currencies.

It is true that the young woman, 28-year-old Autumn Radtke, is dead. But officials are still investigating the cause of death. As far as I can tell, the “suicide” headlines on sites such as the New York Post, the Daily Mail, and Fox News are based on anonymously sourced reports in “local media.” The only such report I’ve been able to track down so far was on the blog Tech in Asia on Feb. 27, which said “sources have suggested that [Radtke] committed suicide.” A note at the top of that blog post indicates that it has been updated to emphasize that “investigations are ongoing.”

It’s possible Radtke committed suicide, but it seems rash—and unfair to her and her family and friends—for major news outlets to jump to that conclusion on the basis of anonymous rumors. And even if she did commit suicide, how do we know it had anything to do with bitcoin’s troubles? We don’t. And for the record, suicide is rarely the result of any single cause.

What we do know is that an apparently bright and much-loved young woman in the Singapore startup community is dead, and police are investigating. But that doesn’t make for sensational tweets or compelling headlines in national news outlets or online magazines like BuzzFeed. To get people to click on the story, you need to imply that Radtke killed herself because of the Bitcoin crash.

How do I know that? Because the Wall Street Journal ran a blog post a week ago that stuck to the facts—and almost no one noticed. The post by Newley Purnell, headlined “American CEO of Singapore Startup First Meta Dies,” fell like a tree in a forest with no one around. It was only when the New York Post, the Daily Mail, and others cast their scruples aside and ran with the suicide link that the story captured global attention.

Future Tense is a partnership of Slate, New America, and Arizona State University.

My gut tells me the big banks and governments have a hand in this.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

[quote="Queen K"]http://globalnews.ca/news/1190839/american-ceo-of-bitcoin-exchange-found-dead-in-singapore/

She's only 28 and supposedly had a link on her facebook profile about depression and what has it's price.

Just worth noting then, be careful on what you put on your Linkedin, facebook profile and other such sites.

Really?

While I agree with you about what you put on those sites, I just can't understand your point, in it's relevance to this.

*bleep* does her posting a link on facebook about depression, and then following through with suicide, have to do with being "careful" about what you post???
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Because of the Laws of Attraction.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Queen K wrote:
It is interesting to read comments from others below the article too. Nine bankers have committed suicide in the past year. NINE? What is going on and what do they know?

http://intellihub.com/8th-international ... ing-china/

There are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of "bankers" worldwide. Someone collecting a list of unconnected suicides and deaths worldwide does not a conspiracy make.

The old cliche is that dentists have a higher suicide rate than any other profession. What do they know that we don't?!!
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Noticing the bitcoin rage fizzled fast! Actually can't really call it a rage.
V!
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Good in theory, but kinda hard to put hard currency behind a piece of data and claim it has a value.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky

Return to “Social Concerns”