Men's Winter Olympic Hockey

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Steve-O
Übergod

Re: 2014 Men's Olympic Hockey Team

Post by Steve-O »

Poindexter wrote:cheering against the twins for a change

Whadda ya mean for a change? Go Flames Go!!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Lol!

Unfortunately I think there are even a few Canuck fans that cheer against them.

I agree Gord, if Rask had played the US would probably have a bronze medal from a game against the depleted swedes. And Canada would have played a team would have added a little more drama to the gold medal game. The fin's play as smothering a defense as the Canada and Selane was a man on a mission.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Did you know that when the Jets could not initially sign Selanne, that the Flames did sign him to an offer sheet but the Jets used their option to match it and signed him that way? He was that close to being a Calgary Flame. Sigh.

Would have been nice to see the Finns and Canada in the Gold Medal game.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

When you look at the talent left off the Canadian roster it almost starts to look like another winning team. They should allow Canada two teams, Canada vs Canada for gold. :)

But sadly, this may be the last time NHL players can compete. Not only is there the amateur vs gaziilionaire arguement. There's the NHL GM's who from thier perspective participation makes no sense. You've got all your biggest assets basically rented for nothing and have to assume all the risk if a player gets injured. The IOCC wont be compensating any Islanders season ticket holders, as the GM there stated.

I for one hope they see the dollar value in showcasing the game of hockey on a global stage. Americans actually take notice of hockey and the US/CAN rivalry is marketing gold.

I hope I'm wrong but this Olympics could very well be the last Team Canada of that calibre. So email your local gm and make sure he knows how you feel along with a thanks.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Though I'm not really a hockey fan, so wouldn't lose sleep either way, I'd view myself as a neutral/non biased opinion on the subject.

As such, I'd have to say that the "right" decision, not that there's any guarantee that the "right" one will be made, is to not allow NHL players to participate in the Olympics.

I view it as kind of a no-brainer, because the Olympics in every other aspect are non-professional amateurs. So with that being the case, how is it acceptable to suddenly stack one segment with mega-millionaire professionals?

Frankly from my perspective the question should not even require asking.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Who gets to decide what constitutes an "amateur"? Many of the athletes make quite a bit of money on sponsorships and such. Canada boycotted the Olympics back in the 1970s by not sending a hockey team to the Olympics because the USSR was sending "amateur" athletes in name only, though given the wages they were getting back then, their wages were at the amateur level.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Oh come now, in hockey, seriously?

Amateurs would be anyone not in the NHL, and not making 7 figures a year.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: 2018 Olympic Hockey

Post by GordonH »

Bumped

https://www.castanet.net/news/Sports/19 ... o-Olympics

Players want to go, team owners appear to have issues. Hopefully Hockey Canada can get competitive team together, since the KHL most likely will no stop there players from going like Gary appear to be.

Added later: would have been interesting to see Connor McDavid, Sydney Crosby & Carey Price along with many others
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

will be interesting
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Men's Winter Olympic Hockey

Post by JayByrd »

I'm interested to see, if the NHL does not send players to the Olympics, who *will* make up those hockey teams? Would NHL organizations be willing to release minor league prospects? Or would Team Canada (and Team USA and everyone else for that matter) be made up of European-based pros, and the odd minor league veteran, much the way Canada creates it's Spengler Cup entry? There's also been some suggestion that NHL players will simply pack a bag and go participate anyway. Their NHL clubs can suspend them but they can't really stop them.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JayByrd wrote:I'm interested to see, if the NHL does not send players to the Olympics, who *will* make up those hockey teams? Would NHL organizations be willing to release minor league prospects? Or would Team Canada (and Team USA and everyone else for that matter) be made up of European-based pros, and the odd minor league veteran, much the way Canada creates it's Spengler Cup entry? There's also been some suggestion that NHL players will simply pack a bag and go participate anyway. Their NHL clubs can suspend them but they can't really stop them.

looks to me it will be like a spengler cup type players ,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Good .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i think it would be fun to watch mostly non nhl players
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As long as teams are on somewhat of level playing field/ice. Look back from 1964 to 1988 when USSR would send a team (Red Army), who played together for years. Not professionals but not slapped together weeks before Olympics.
That could happen in 2018, not at level of Red Army but a KHL team made up of mostly regular teammates with few add ins for non Russian players.

Closes Canada would have to that is CHL team, US could have AHL team.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

miracle on ice :smt045 go canada go

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”