Recommend a good dentist?

Business and professional recommendations.
butcher99
Guru

Re: Recommend a good dentist?

Post by butcher99 »

My brother in law needed $4000 worth of dental work. He found a great dentist in La Penita Mexico. It cost him $1000 and he got a 3 week vacation in the sun for the difference and came home money ahead.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

butcher99 wrote:My brother in law needed $4000 worth of dental work. He found a great dentist in La Penita Mexico. It cost him $1000 and he got a 3 week vacation in the sun for the difference and came home money ahead.

Ugh. Not this again. So who is going to look after him if he has a problem? What about post op care? It is not uncommon to require adjustments when you have a lot of work done at once. What about the materials used? Do they meet Canadian standards? How about the sterilization procedures in the clinic? In a country where you can't drink the water....
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
kelownakiss

Post by kelownakiss »

Very well said Gardengirl. The OP asked about a good Kelowna dentist and it is no suprise the topic of Mexican dentist would come up! People are so price focused, even when it comes to Dental care. Patients have no clue what is good and bad quality dentistry, they rate it by the price because often they honestly have no idea if it is clinically a good crown, filling or root canal.
I would never in a million years get dental work done in one nor would I allow anyone I care about to be treated in Mexico. Why? Because I am a dental assistant and have cared for a few Mexican Dentist Nightmare Patient's who thought they were saving so much Money and adequate the choice to get Crowns and Implant there that are of subpar structure and quality and toxic cements. Who suffered for months PostOperative from gum infections and had to have everything removed and redone. Her free vacation was not so free anymore! She lost weeks of time at work due to pain caused by her really cheap? Mexican dentist. People don't make $ based decisions with your Dental care. Seek treatment here.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

kelownakiss wrote:Very well said Gardengirl. The OP asked about a good Kelowna dentist and it is no suprise the topic of Mexican dentist would come up! People are so price focused, even when it comes to Dental care. Patients have no clue what is good and bad quality dentistry, they rate it by the price because often they honestly have no idea if it is clinically a good crown, filling or root canal.
I would never in a million years get dental work done in one nor would I allow anyone I care about to be treated in Mexico. Why? Because I am a dental assistant and have cared for a few Mexican Dentist Nightmare Patient's who thought they were saving so much Money and adequate the choice to get Crowns and Implant there that are of subpar structure and quality and toxic cements. Who suffered for months PostOperative from gum infections and had to have everything removed and redone. Her free vacation was not so free anymore! She lost weeks of time at work due to pain caused by her really cheap? Mexican dentist. People don't make $ based decisions with your Dental care. Seek treatment here.

Dental care in Mexico is as good as Canadian Dental treatment. The dentist I go was trained in California and worked there before moving back to Mexico.
There are also lots of people in Canada who get gum infections and poor dental work. I should know, I got my fair share of it here.
There are crappy dentists in Canada and crappy ones in India and crappy ones in the US and in Mexico. There are also great ones in all those countries.
At least you did point out you had a vested interest in getting people to get treatment in Canada.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

You didn't address the questions I asked about post operative care.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

gardengirl wrote:Ugh. Not this again. So who is going to look after him if he has a problem? What about post op care? It is not uncommon to require adjustments when you have a lot of work done at once. What about the materials used? Do they meet Canadian standards? How about the sterilization procedures in the clinic? In a country where you can't drink the water....

If he needs an adjustment he can go to his regular dentist here if he wants. Post op care.. Ya sure. What post op care did you ever get when you got a fixed bridge or an implant in? My post op care from my Canadian implants was when my own dentist phoned me to see how I was, not the surgeon who did the work. There was no post op care.
Post op care for a crown? Give me a break.

Just because you have money to burn or get your dental work done at a cut rate from the dentist you work for does not mean the rest of us can or do. THOUSANDS of people go south for dental work. It is cheap and good and fast.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

gardengirl wrote:You didn't address the questions I asked about post operative care.

Yes, actually I did
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:Ugh. Not this again. So who is going to look after him if he has a problem? What about post op care? It is not uncommon to require adjustments when you have a lot of work done at once. What about the materials used? Do they meet Canadian standards? How about the sterilization procedures in the clinic? In a country where you can't drink the water....

butcher99 wrote: If he needs an adjustment he can go to his regular dentist here if he wants. Post op care.. Ya sure. What post op care did you ever get when you got a fixed bridge or an implant in? My post op care from my Canadian implants was when my own dentist phoned me to see how I was, not the surgeon who did the work. There was no post op care.
Post op care for a crown? Give me a break.

Just because you have money to burn or get your dental work done at a cut rate from the dentist you work for does not mean the rest of us can or do. THOUSANDS of people go south for dental work. It is cheap and good and fast.

What post op care? Uhhh. You obviously know nothing whatsoever about dental work. Perhaps you have been lucky with your Mexican gamble, good for you. At least so far.

Shoddy dental work can take weeks or even months to show symptoms. As for follow up on crowns, many people experience sensitivity for weeks or months after the procedure. To say that people should go to a Canadian Dentist for follow up is to assume that they have a local Dentist. Why would you expect them to clean up someone else's work? They would not have the chart for the patient and have no idea what type of materials were used whether they were filling materials or the alloy used in a crown. If there was a real problem, the only thing they could do is recommend removal of the work and redoing it.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Post-op care provided by Dr. Stephen Faigan was excellent!
After the implant, there were phone calls in the evening making sure all was going well, and ensuring no problems.
Office visits where he took lots of time and had genuine concern for me as the patient.
Can't imagine it being any better tnat that....
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

gardengirl wrote:[ If there was a real problem, the only thing they could do is recommend removal of the work and redoing it.

Which I would imagine they would do. Good money in that.

many many thousands of people get dental work done in Mexico. It is 1/4 the cost. There are towns just across the border that do nothing but dental and medical work. They would not exist if the work was not good.
The same as the start of this thread. You ask around. You question people who have had work done in Mexico where they got it done and who did it. You find a good dentist and go there.
My wife and I both got our teeth cleaned and a full checkup for $50. in Mexico. Last one in Canada was $239. I just looked it up. Our Mexican dentist spent as much time cleaning as in our regular checkup in Canada. She also measured the depth of pockets, and pointed out where problem areas were and gave suggestions on how to work on those areas. Her office contains all the same high tech tools the office here does minus the digital xray machine. She still uses film.
If the price was closer would I still go to a Canadian dentist? Probably.
I to was very leery of getting work done there until I saw how good it actually was.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

kelownakiss wrote:. The OP asked about a good Kelowna dentist and it is no suprise the topic of Mexican dentist would come up! People are so price focused, even when it comes to Dental care. Patients have no clue what is good and bad quality dentistry, they rate .

Went in to my Kelowna dentist for the first filling of my life two years ago. They insisted I needed it though I never felt any pain and had never had any problems with my teeth ever in my life (but there was a soft spot that MUST be dealt with!!!). I agreed.

Felt them slip and the tool bang off the other side of my mouth. Everything was frozen at the time so it didn't really hurt but it didn't really feel right.

Next visit to the dentist in 6 months .. guess where I "magically" needed the second filling of my life? Right where I thought something went wrong the last time I was there. Probably chipped my tooth.

I'm guessing they used my plan to repair the work they botched from the last visit.

I've not needed any more fillings since.

Quality service ...
ehlersroadecho

Post by ehlersroadecho »

The staff at Peachland Dental are very great!!
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

The best thing about this thread is that NOBODY has mentioned my former dentist here.

I absolutely hated the place... so I can't name it, but I am glad nobody has given it 2 thumbs up!
Ktown girl

Post by Ktown girl »

does anyone reccommend a dentist that does dental implants....and does anyone know what they cost?
I know a lot of people are going to Mexico?? any one have any opiniion on that as wel.

Thanks.
vook316

Post by vook316 »

Yes I would recommend Dr. Andrew Macdonnell.

Return to “Referrals”