Has anyone attended Centre for Arts and Technology?

jasond_71
Board Meister

Re: Has anyone attended Centre for Arts and Technology?

Post by jasond_71 »

Yes as with web design or game design, there are programmers and there are artists. My buddy who works at EA sports said that the artists actually outnumber the programmers 2 to 1. The point is that if you want to develop your programming or artistic ability you can do a lot of this on your own as many people have stated. Or you can choose to get schooling.

My argument is that there are many institutions in BC that are publicly subsidized that are waaayyyy cheaper than CATO. It doesn't matter if you want to be an artist or programmer, I am pretty sure both are offered at colleges, technical institutions or Universities for much less.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

I knew six people who went there, 15 to 30 thousand later. They can not find jobs.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Question: Does CATO do work placement / Co-op program? This was an important aspect of my schooling.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

kompili wrote:I knew six people who went there, 15 to 30 thousand later. They can not find jobs.

...the same can be said for many university and college grads...
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

jasond_71 wrote:Yes as with web design or game design, there are programmers and there are artists. My buddy who works at EA sports said that the artists actually outnumber the programmers 2 to 1. The point is that if you want to develop your programming or artistic ability you can do a lot of this on your own as many people have stated. Or you can choose to get schooling.

My argument is that there are many institutions in BC that are publicly subsidized that are waaayyyy cheaper than CATO. It doesn't matter if you want to be an artist or programmer, I am pretty sure both are offered at colleges, technical institutions or Universities for much less.

I'm sitting in the bowels of 4330 Sanderson Way. Guess where that is? Go re-read what I've posted about getting a job in media (Games/Web/Otherwise). Not only have you heard from your buddy, but you have *another* EA employee telling you exactly the same thing. Right here.... although the artists don't really quite outnumber the devs, and there's more than just artists and devs. Producers, operations, development and technical directors.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

Yes but the college grade didn't spend $20,000 a year in tuition.
At least their debt would be much less when they can't find a job, lol:)
And yes there are many aspects to game development other than artists and programmers.
Regnan

Post by Regnan »

Hmm some of the advice on this form is concerning.

I have to dispute what some EA employees are saying here. I'll mention I was an EA Artist a long time ago but since have worked at many other companies / migrating later to feature films.

The advice 'just do good art at home' is BAD ADVICE.

Because I'll tell you right now, many applicants now pass the art test. So the applicant WITH a diploma VS the 'home basement artist' the company will pick the diploma holder hands down.

No manager, producer or HR manager want to say in the coffee room to their boss ' yep hired a dude from his house'. They want to say ' Center of Arts and Tech, or VFS etc. is where this Associate Artist is coming from.

The idea that you can 'make it via online training' just is a lie. You cannot compare the experience you gain at a school with industry teachers. Even if you achieve a strong reel at home (which yes you can) you then face that very big elephant in the room when applying for work , the elephant of ' I have ZERO post-secondary schooling '.

My advice is don't be lazy, don't join that 'very large group of broke / un hired home artists ', get your diploma, then focus on your reel after that. That is the order of things.

Lastly I work on the floor with many artists and they ALL 99% of them have a diploma or degree in their specific field. Then they busted their butt for 6 months AFTER graduation and made a shiny reel. People that expect a 'ready to apply polished reel ' out of school are not willing to put in the hard work they know they need to on their reel. In 15 years I've run into one artist that was home taught, and he forever has to hide that fact like it's an embarrassing mole, amidst a floor of diploma / degree holding artists.
Kidmac

Post by Kidmac »

The Centre for Arts and Technology was the biggest waste of money if I've ever seen it. Worst education system in all of Canada. I attended for the Studio Production program last yesr. Finished and graduated. Still waiting to get a job in the industry if that will ever happen. In the one year I attended, there were 3 teachers either let go, or quit, and multiple changes to courses. They have tons of bugs to work out before they can become a decent facility
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

Keep in mind that all colleges/universities hire 'education coaches' or 'salespeople' to enlist new students into long programs$
Education is not their only goal, they are thinking about the incentives/bonuses THEY get when they enroll someone.
Its business!
Plan your own education and seek advice from potential employers.
Just say it as it is!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

All higher education is a business, and don't think for a moment, that the institution you attended will give much of a crap, beyond collecting your tuition that is, if you don't land a job in your chosen field.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Old Techie wrote:All higher education is a business, and don't think for a moment, that the institution you attended will give much of a crap, beyond collecting your tuition that is, if you don't land a job in your chosen field.

While some do and will help you get there, most don't and honestly, it's not their job. The onus is on the student to make sure that their field of study and institution is going to be suitable for their needs. Not everyone goes to college or university so they can get the job of their dreams and it should not be the primary purpose of such institutions to turn out workers. Their job is to educate.

I would suggest, in line with above, that if one is going to one of these institutions, one should check what those in the related industry think of the institutions they are researching. If the future peers and employers think highly of it, then it's probably worth attending, especially if the qualification is needed. The problem is that there are too many institutes who don't produce high quality graduates, largely because they take in basically anyone who is willing to pay and are under a lot of pressure to pass them. To be crass about it, garbage in, garbage out. Even if many of the graduates are good, enough of them aren't and a qualification is really only worth the standards of the weakest graduates.

Private colleges seem to have the worst reputations in general and the Centre for Arts and Technology is one such institute.
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

HR does not care where you got your education anymore then they care about your student loan! [icon_lol2.gif]

If you are ''learning new skills'' and have ''experience'' they will consider you. Your personality also matters! :smt045

I have met many cab drivers, house cleaners, and waitresses who have University Degree's ! :200:

Paying for a degree does not guarantee you anything.
Just say it as it is!
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Nelalen wrote:Hello, just hoping I can get some feedback or reviews on the school? Specifically on their Graphic Design and Web Development program. I've heard mixed reviews about it just hoping for something more recent.
Thanks!

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
Talk to other students!
and, ask yourself some questions about what is your best learning experience?
When I attended University the class distractions(chit chat, etc), class size(too big). and access to help from teacher(stressed and busy!) affected me. I took a few classes at private colleges and loved it! Less students, and way more help!
If I were you, I would find a Web Designer who would allow you to job shadow them, or hire you while your taking courses(WorkBC has incentives!)
Either way, kiddos to you for doing your research! and good luck! :up:
Just say it as it is!
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

They ripped off my girlfriend's daughter. Way too expensive. You can get the courses you need at the local colleges at far less cost.
sabumnim

Post by sabumnim »

We are a not for profit, local media organization with more than 30 years of experience in our field. We have had a number of dealings with CATO Kelowna, its staff and students, and in different departments, over a three year period and would like to say a few things.

1. First off, when trying to contact individual staff and or instructors at their Kelowna office, by phone, good luck ! Many of them are completely disfunctional and they don't return phone calls or messages. That is simply rude. If the profs don't return their phone calls, and can't find the time to network with the local business community, obviously, they cannot liase with future employers like us who hire students out of these schools ! No wonder their students can't find jobs in their field !

2. We have hired several volunteers out of CATO and some of them have real attitudes. Like, "I know everything there is to know about ABC", and you can't teach me didley squat. Well, that's the reason why you're unemployed and can't find work in your chosen field. Who wants to hire a smart *ss?

3. We got a Canada Summer Jobs grant, last year, and received enough funding to hire three, full time Kelowna students. We could not find ANYONE, locally ! We "begged" everyone to help us find workers, including School District 23, but could not ! Finally, after getting help from a CATO job placement person, we found a foreign student from Africa who was attending CATO and was willing to start work with us. But, in the end, Service Canada said he couldn't qualify for the funding, because he was not a landed immigrant, even though he had a valid work visa.

We have hired a few from Okanagan College, as well, and found that OC grads have a much better attitude and appear to be more reliable and trainable than those from CATO.

Return to “Central Okanagan”