If not the F-35, then what?

zzontar
Guru

Re: If not the F-35, then what?

Post by zzontar »

If not the F-35, then what?

The easy answer would be health, education, etc. but then you would have to have the world's entire population asking "if we're not going to spend almost 2 trillion dollars a year on weapons to kill our own species, then what are we going to spend it on?" :dyinglaughing: Ah, silly humans.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The F-22 is different kettle of fish. From what I can figure out, the F-35 was designed as an inferior aircraft to sell to other countries. The F-22 was supposed to clear the skies for the F-35 to come in and do the grunt work.

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-NOTAM-05072010-1.html

This gives what appears to be a concise head-to-head comparison. Remember the Aussie's aren't as economically tied to the US as we are, so they can be more politically incorrect.

This analysis has the SU-35 as significantly superior to the F-35 in fighting capability and importantly, in survivability due to its twin engines being widely spaced.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

the reborn avro aero
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

correct answer is Avro Arrow

I love The Story and the legacy,We really hit above our weight there .Forget the huge lead sleds .We need to develop the arrow II
not a massive long range fighter bomber ,what for ,Iran? What we need is large number of light fast light armed Tudor like jets .with stealth tech.we need to start building our own stuff keep our jobs here for our kids .Stop building planes for america .Build them for canada and protect our huge territory.
Peace be with you.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

correct answer is Avro Arrow

I love The Story and the legacy,We really hit above our weight there .Forget the huge lead sleds .We need to develop the arrow II
not a massive long range fighter bomber ,what for ,Iran? What we need is large number of light fast light armed Tudor like jets .with stealth tech.we need to start building our own stuff keep our jobs here for our kids .Stop building planes for america .Build them for canada and protect our huge territory.

problem is that it isnt for canada. its for bombardier and quebec. there isnt such a thing as competition anymore so the contracts will all go to bombardier. and all the money.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

bombardier and quebec.

quebec is still canada .stevey must be courting the french ooo la la
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le4530724/
Peace be with you.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

bombardier and quebec.

quebec is still canada .stevey must be courting the french ooo la la
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le4530724/[/quote]

you obviously didnt pay attention to what was said at their last election.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

you obviously didnt pay attention to what was said at their last election.

who said what when?this is a little vague but i'm guessing you referring to the pq during the last quebec provincial election.and many things were said to which do you refer?
Peace be with you.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/buying- ... -1.2669476

I said it along time ago. Single engine is dangerous. How many times has a F-18 limped home on one engine?
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Part of the problem is that Yanks won't sell F22s. So comparison the F22 is irrelevant, you can only compare to what is available to you.

I'm not sure the SU35 would be available to us now, as Harper and Putin have become such good buddies....

I'll leave this up to the more knowledgeable, but I have to assume that having 5 or 6 "class 2 fighters is better than having 1 class 1c (the F22 being 1a) fighter. If I am correct in that assumption, then within reason, we should be balancing toward numbers with our limited defense budget. That rules out the F35 before you start.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

hobbyguy wrote:I'm not sure the SU35 would be available to us now, as Harper and Putin have become such good buddies....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but never in Canadian Air force history have they used a foreign combat plane. They might have a couple of British training planes and Russian transport helicopters leased for Afghanistan mission, but buying jet fighters from Russia is as unlikeable as Stephen Harper eating a baby on camera.

Canadian *bleep* are stuck with American jet fighters.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Canadian *bleep* are stuck with American jet fighters.

How ironic, considering that all our jets will end up going on missions to aid the American government.

The last thing Canada truly needs are 'fighter' jets. Our borders are extremely safe and we could use that money towards making this a far better country than it already is. Spending billions of our tax dollars on weapons to kill other people is like taking massive steps backwards.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Danielson99 wrote:How ironic, considering that all our jets will end up going on missions to aid the American government.

The last thing Canada truly needs are 'fighter' jets. Our borders are extremely safe and we could use that money towards making this a far better country than it already is. Spending billions of our tax dollars on weapons to kill other people is like taking massive steps backwards.

Ya, let's not spend a dime defending our borders/air space from any potential future conflicts. We should just let the 'other people' come in and kill us unimpeaded. Tell that to France ans Poland (WWII) or even the present day Ukraine.

You think, maybe we should rely on the USA to protect us forever??????
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

If you expect to find a fight, you will.

We need to spend more tax money on glorifying 1812. That's what we need.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Danielson99 wrote:The last thing Canada truly needs are 'fighter' jets.

How are we supposed to defend our borders then? With strong language and fly-by criticism?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Canada”