NAB - obituary

Board announcements.
Jo
Slot 16

NAB - obituary

Post by Jo »

It is with sadness that I must inform you, we have lost another long-time member.

Al Green, known as Nab to us on these forums, died on May 4th. He loved this forum community, and, in fact, was on the forums when he died. His daughter, Tracie, has told me that 'he went peacefully and doing something he loved to do - engaging in healthy debate.'

Nab's death comes as a shock. He always offered intelligent commentaries on a wide range of topics, and always remained civil and dignified in the face of any controversy. It was a real pleasure to have known him here . . . and he will be missed.

Tracie has kindly provided his obituary:

GREEN, Alex Brian

Alex Brian Green (“Al”), 71, passed away peacefully at home on Sunday, May 4th, 2014.

He leaves behind his daughter, Tracie (William) Der of Nanoose Bay, BC; son, Richard (Stacey) Green of Lacombe, AB; grandchildren Samantha & Alexa Der and Nicolas Green; brother, Burt (Ann) Green of Lethbridge, AB; and extended family in Ontario and the United Kingdom. He is predeceased by his wife, Bonnye (nee Knight) Green; and granddaughter, Robyn Green.

Born in Wiltshire, England, the son of Ernest and Gertrude (“Pat”) Green, the family immigrated to Canada when Alex was just 5 years old aboard the Aquitania, landing in Montreal and settling in the Orono/Leskard area of southern Ontario to farm. His mother died suddenly of a cerebral hemorrhage when he was just 15 years old and before long he dropped out of school and fled home to enlist in the Canadian Army. There, he trained as a signalman, joining the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals, and served on the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus in the 1960s.

It was during this time that he met his future wife, Bonnye Jeanane Knight, marrying in 1962. After starting his family, he was honourably discharged and settled in Calgary, joining the business ranks of Xerox in the early days of the copier industry. Although he did well there and enjoyed promotions and advancement, the corporate world was not for him and he sought to return to the simpler, rural lifestyle he’d enjoyed as a child. Al moved his young family to Naramata, in British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley, in 1972.

The family moved many times within the Okanagan, ultimately living in Kelowna. Al joined Copytron and re-engaged in a career that saw him return to his expertise in technology and electronics. He advanced within the company, taking on managerial roles and new enterprises in research and development, with Photofax and Micron Imaging. He oversaw offshore production and started a manufacturing facility in Bulgaria during this time. Once again, however, the pressures caught up to him and he left the corporate world a second time, moving with his wife to be close to his son’s young family in Alberta for several years before returning to Kelowna.

After his wife died early of cancer in 1999, Al abandoned the Okanagan and moved to Parksville to be near his daughter and her family. There, he passed his retirement assisting neighbours and others in the community with computers (his new passion), designing websites and making travels plans for his big motorhome. He debated political and social issues with anyone who would take him on and enjoyed sharing stories of old times with friends at the Legion, as well as his family. He had a brush with his own mortality when a heart condition caused him to collapse and landed him in hospital in 2012. However, he was recovering well and it came as a shock to family and friends when he died so suddenly. All his life, Al had a special place in his heart for animals – especially dogs – and very nearly always had at least one dog in the family. When he passed away, his faithful companion Cocoa was at his side and she has since joined the “furry ranks” within his daughter’s home.

A memorial service will be held at the Mt. Arrowsmith (Parksville) Branch #49 of the Royal Canadian Legion, Monday, May 26th, at 11 am. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the Royal Canadian Legion or the SPCA.

I leave to the friends and family who survive me, the following:

“If I should go before the rest of you, break not a flower nor inscribe a stone;
Nor, when I’m gone, speak in a Sunday voice, but be the usual selves that I have known.
Weep if you must, parting is Hell,
But life goes on, so sing as well.”
~ by Joyce Grenfell
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: NAB

Post by Glacier »

This is very sad news. NAB was a great poster who always showed respect and dignity even when he strongly disagreed with you.

Rest in peace, good sir.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Sorry to heat that another good one has passed. He will be missed.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

My heart goes out to his family and loved ones.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

My deepest condolences to his Family & Friends, rest in peace Al Green aka Nab.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

I am sorry to hear of NAB's passing. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Al Green.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Holey ...I am so sad to hear this. Wow...speechless. I have had 2 friends, one 16, one 47, my mom 66, and now these on line friends all pass away in the last 3 months. A reminder on how valuable and short life is. In my heart, Nab...x0x0x0
hardnut
Fledgling

Post by hardnut »

My sincerest condolences to family and friends. While I have never been a big poster, I knew most of the players through Grammafreddy and Nab was right up there with the best.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

It's very sad. My condolences to family & friends, had the chance to discuss with Al a couple times in private, he was a great member on this forum.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

RIP Nab. My condolences to his family and friends.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sad news.

One of the few posters without a single mean bone. Always respectful.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

RIP Nab.
Good chatting with ya.
You were a good man.

My condolences to the family.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

My condolences to the family.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh no, I loved NAB, you guys have no idea. He and I PMed each other all the time, I even accused him of being Steven Lloyd's brother!

I know he was in and out of hospital for a bit but blast it, GrammaFreddy and NAB? I am so saddened.

Rest in Peace Nab. And you were right, someone had to pay for it, nothing was free. Hugs whereever you are.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Queen K wrote: ..., I even accused him of being Steven Lloyd's brother!

I take that as a very nice compliment Queenie. I had a lot of respect for Nabs - whether agreeing with him or not.

Many of us will miss him I know :o(

Return to “Announcements”