Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Post by Glacier »

Nice.

Tesla Motors Inc said on Wednesday it will name its planned small car, intended to move the electric car maker into a broader consumer segment, the Model 3.

The vehicle will go on sale in 2017 and compete with BMW's 3 Series sedans.

The Model 3 will be priced starting at $35,000, or half the starting price of Tesla's first mass-market car, the Model S sedan.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tesla-t ... -1.2709068
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Atomoa
Guru

Re: Tesla to Sell $35,000 model by 2017.

Post by Atomoa »

So much for that "only rich hippie elites can afford a Tesla" standpoint.

I have never bought a "brand new" car. This may change.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Atomoa wrote:I have never bought a "brand new" car. This may change.

Same here.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

If the market is flooded with solar based electric cars in the next 3-5 years, what does that do to oil prices?

How much does gasoline demand and consumption via private cars account for oil price fluctuations?

Is Tesla planning commercial transportation applications?

- Buckminster Fuller
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Atomoa wrote:If the market is flooded with solar based electric cars in the next 3-5 years, what does that do to oil prices?

I'd be willing to bet that the market won't be flooded with any type of electric cars in such a short time period. Will be seeing more on the road? Yes. Will the market be flooded with them? Not a chance.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If and/or when I purchase one of these cars would mostly likely be 5th or 6th year of production, by that time most if not all of the kinks will be worked out.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Think back 5 years - cell phones.

Higher gas prices, stagnant wages. It's a viable option to many to cut out fuel costs. Slightly under estimating the market. At 35k every small time delivery and taxi company in North America will snap it up, let alone the general public.

The Tesla had been out for awhile. It's the best car on the market. What "kinks" are you referring to?

- Buckminster Fuller
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Atomoa wrote:Think back 5 years - cell phones.

What about them?
Atomoa wrote:Higher gas prices, stagnant wages. It's a viable option to many to cut out fuel costs. Slightly under estimating the market. At 35k every small time delivery and taxi company in North America will snap it up, let alone the general public.

Stagnant wages and you think people will pounce on a $35K car? LOL, good one.

How do you figure that small companies and general public will be able to snap up a 35 thousand dollar car? LOL!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

For such a business friendly poster, I'm surprised to hear such a "can't do" attitude.

Businesses lease cars. Especially if they eliminate fuel costs.

I'm sure if you owned a taxi comany, your ideals and political outlook would keep you paying out 25%+ of your take home to fuel costs, fluctuating wildly with "random" price increases instead of leasing a fleet of Teslas.

I just don't think other people would follow your example.

- Buckminster Fuller
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Atomoa wrote:For such a business friendly poster, I'm surprised to hear such a "can't do" attitude.

Businesses lease cars. Especially if they eliminate fuel costs.

I'm sure if you owned a taxi comany, your ideals and political outlook would keep you paying out 25%+ of your take home to fuel costs, fluctuating wildly with "random" price increases instead of leasing a fleet of Teslas.

I just don't think other people would follow your example.

I'm a very business friendly poster, thank you for noticing. I have no doubt in my mind that we will see more electric cars in the future, but not in such a short time frame as you're suggesting. Its all about costs, and to jump into a $35000 car, leased or not is not as easy as you think ... bring it down to $15000, then we're talking a bit more sense.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

We need to see more fuel efficient cars on our roads and a better electrical infrastructure before the multitudes of people will jump into a full electric car as you're predicting.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Dizzy1 wrote:...better electrical infrastructure before the multitudes of people will jump into a full electric car as you're predicting.

True. I know I wouldn't buy one unless i know I can use it to drive to Vancouver/Calgary without being stuck on a side of a road in the middle of nowhere. Until electrical infrastructure catches up to gasoline infrastructure it will be an uphill battle.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I could buy one tomorrow. Why are they waiting so long?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:We need to see more fuel efficient cars on our roads and a better electrical infrastructure before the multitudes of people will jump into a full electric car as you're predicting.

Totally agree.

Mail Online wrote:Tesla announces Model III: Musk's next electric car will cost £30,000, be 20% smaller and have a range of 200 miles
Details of California-based Tesla Motors' next electric car are unveiled
CEO Elon Musk has revealed the name, cost and range of their next vehicle
Dubbed the Model 3 it will go on sale in the U.S. for $35,000 in 2017
It will use similar batteries to other Tesla cars with a range of 200 miles
And it will be 20% smaller than the Model S luxury sedan
Musk also revealed plans to boost the range of the existing Tesla Roadster

No long road trips without a plugin along the way.
Last edited by GordonH on Jul 16th, 2014, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Captain Awesome wrote:True. I know I wouldn't buy one unless i know I can use it to drive to Vancouver/Calgary without being stuck on a side of a road in the middle of nowhere. Until electrical infrastructure catches up to gasoline infrastructure it will be an uphill battle.

Same here, I do crave better fuel efficiency, I won't be trading in my BMW 3er for a Tesla in the near future.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”